Honored Contributor

Re: And When October goes....................

I thought this was interesting -  

In his last year, as he was dying from brain cancer  Mercer became extremely fond of Manilow, in part because Manilow's first hit record was of a song titled "Mandy", which was also the name of Mercer's daughter. After Mercer's death, his widow, Ginger Mehan Mercer, arranged to give some unfinished lyrics he had written to Manilow to possibly develop into complete songs. Among these was "When October Goes." Manilow applied his own melody to the lyric and issued it as a single in 1984.[2] The song's first appeared was at Manilow's album 2:00 AM Paradise Cafe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline 

This happens to be one of my favorite renditions ... and guess who's playing piano ...

Nancy Wilson - When October Goes - YouTube

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Judaline 

This happens to be one of my favorite renditions ... and guess who's playing piano ...

Nancy Wilson - When October Goes - YouTube

I just gotta stay with Barry.

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Judaline 

Nancy Wilson (with Barry Manilow) - Epilogue - YouTube

... to us 

Now you're talkin'. That was pretty neat. The one I like by her is, "I Saw You". First time I heard it, I knew the ending. I just knew it! lol She was really into her songs.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline The song is called Guess Who I Saw Today.  I was written by Murray Grand.   He used to play in a piano bar in the Village called The Village Green.  We got to talking one night and he said he wrote that song for Ann Sheridan who was a friend of his.  He was a well known piano player in the piano bars New York.  He wrote the music for the play New Faces and had an ongoing feud with Eartha Kitt during it's run.  He wasn't the first nor the last to have a feud with Eartha Kitt.

Edie Gorme sang it on Johnny Carson one evening and had great difficulty getting through it broke down at the end in tears.  I find it to be a very emotional song, heartbreaking even though I have never experienced it.

The other one I love by Nancy Wilson is Folks Who Live On The Hill but then again I love Nancy Wilson!!!

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Judaline The song is called Guess Who I Saw Today.  I was written by Murray Grand.   He used to play in a piano bar in the Village called The Village Green.  We got to talking one night and he said he wrote that song for Ann Sheridan who was a friend of his.  He was a well known piano player in the piano bars New York.  He wrote the music for the play New Faces and had an ongoing feud with Eartha Kitt during it's run.  He wasn't the first nor the last to have a feud with Eartha Kitt.

Edie Gorme sang it on Johnny Carson one evening and had great difficulty getting through it broke down at the end in tears.  I find it to be a very emotional song, heartbreaking even though I have never experienced it.

The other one I love by Nancy Wilson is Folks Who Live On The Hill but then again I love Nancy Wilson!!!

@Somertime  My mom loved Nancy Wilson-and Sarah Vaugh. I think that's why I love Sarah Vaughn today-heard a lot of her growing up.

I realized after I wrote it I had the wrong title of the song. It kinda gives it away for someone just hearing it. I was in my car first time. It's so poignant!!! He must have been a remarable man to have written it! I can see how Eydie Gorme could have broken down. It just has that ability. I wonder who hurt Ann Sheridan. He must have been nuts, lol. I think Peggy Lee had a good version of the Folks Who Live on the Hill. I love that song, too. Hoping @Oznell  reads your post.

Thanks-very interesting.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline Oznell and I have had this discussion before.  Another singer I love is Morgana King, she played Don Corelone's wife in the Godfather.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Judaline Oznell and I have had this discussion before.  Another singer I love is Morgana King, she played Don Corelone's wife in the Godfather.

Morgana King. Wow, she goes back. June Christy and Chris Connor were my singers. And I loved and miss Karen Carpenter. 

Honored Contributor

Love this music talk about all these greats!   Another fan of Nancy Wilson here, and Sarah Vaughan and Peggy Lee....