Honored Contributor

And When October goes....................

Respected Contributor

Re: And When October goes....................

This is how I like BM.

Honored Contributor

So soothing....thanks for the share.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline  Thanks so much for the share...thought I'd heard every Barry Manilow song ever recorded, but missed this one somehow. Just beautiful!

Honored Contributor

It's a beautiful song, @Judaline .   Thanks for posting something so lovely!   Lyrics by one of my favorite songwriters, the immortal Johnny Mercer.  ( "Come Rain or Come Shine",   "Moon River",  "Blues in the Night",  "The Days of Wine and Roses")

"And When October Goes" reminds me so much of another bittersweet lyric of his, "I Remember You", also with that exquisite, yearning quality.

The back story of that song is that, when Judy Garland was only 19, she and Johnny Mercer had a hush-hush love affair, which she broke off when she married David Rose.

Mercer later said that he put his feelings about her into this song.

I remember you
You're the one who made my dreams come true
A few kisses ago

I remember you
You're the one who said "I love you, too"
Yes, I do, didn'tcha know?

I remember, too, a distant bell and stars that fell
Like the rain out of the blue

When my life is through
And the angels ask me to recall
The thrill of it all
Then I will tell them I remember you

Just like the rain out of the blue

When my life is through
The thrill of it all
Then I will tell them I remember, tell them I remember
Tell them I remember you

I'd post the link to Tony Bennett singing it, but all my youtube links get poofed.  It's great to google though.  And everyone from Chet Baker to Glen Campbell did their own wonderful versions too.   

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It's a beautiful song, @Judaline .   Thanks for posting something so lovely!   Lyrics by one of my favorite songwriters, the immortal Johnny Mercer.  ( "Come Rain or Come Shine",   "Moon River",  "Blues in the Night",  "The Days of Wine and Roses")

"And When October Goes" reminds me so much of another bittersweet lyric of his, "I Remember You", also with that exquisite, yearning quality.

The back story of that song is that, when Judy Garland was only 19, she and Johnny Mercer had a hush-hush love affair, which she broke off when she married David Rose.

I remember you
A few kisses ago

I remember you

When my life is through
The thrill of it all

When my life is through
The thrill of it all
Tell them I remember you

I'd post the link to Tony Bennett singing it, but all my youtube links get poofed.  It's great to google though.  And everyone from Chet Baker to Glen Campbell did their own wonderful versions too.   

I have this song on an album so I know all the words-yep, beautiful. Johnny Mercer wrote the words (always the lyrics, right?) to Laura my favorite song. I cannot imagine Johnny Mercer and Judy Garland! The odd couple. JMO.

Chet Baker. Be still my heart! I have his Chet Baker Sings CD. His voice is so ordinary, it's striking. First time I heard him sing I said, Who IS that?? Did you ever see a picture of him when he was young? OMgosh is all I can say. And to see him as he aged, pitiful what he had done to himself with drugs.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Judaline ,  Judy and Johnny Mercer, who knew?!  But, they were both total romantics, clearly, so maybe that's it.  And when she was young, she did go in a big way for guys who were as deeply into music as she was.  And father figures.  

Wasn't she involved with Artie Shaw, at the same time he was seeing Lana Turner?  I could be wrong, but she might even have had some kind of feelings for Roger Edens, who I don't think would have been interested....

Oh, yes, the young Chet Baker!!  One of my jazz favorites. Incredible talent.  His life and death, one of the great tragedies.

584157_1_m.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell You were right. I'd never heard that. He was quite a dish! I found an article about Mike Wallace interviewing Artie Shaw about her. I presume about 'them' but I didn't read it. Just hard to believe. One article said Judy Garland screamed and carried on when Artie and Lana became engaged. I looked at his list of wives-except for Evelyn Keys the marriages only lasted about a year. I imagine he had his pick and he worked at night and well, just one of those things. It was bound to happen. (but over and over again? LOL) A beguine can only be danced by two! (sorry).

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, good one, @Judaline .

Had forgotten about Artie Shaw and Evelyn Keyes.  She was apparently very intelligent, and appreciated his high intellect, but apparently he was very hard to live with.  As even he admitted...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I remember you
A few kisses ago

I remember you

When my life is through
The thrill of it all

When my life is through
The thrill of it all
Tell them I remember you

I remember that song, just not who it was that sang it.