Trusted Contributor

I was out with a high school girlfriend, we met a car full of guys. Hit it off with one of them, we dated for a year or so, then we split up and went our separate ways, we each married other people....then divorced them, and a few years later met up again and started dating...long story short, we have been married 39 years.  

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

I also met my husband at a work related event (conference) in DC.  Since he lived on the West Coast and I lived on the East Coast, I'd say there was an immediate connection, or we wouldn't have pursued a cross country relationship for as long as we did.  

I did eventually move West.  

Respected Contributor

@lgfan wrote:
Vansleepy your story sounds similar to the movie "When Harry Met Sally..."🙂

Hmm. I saw that when it first came out but I don't remember much . Except the diner scene of course lol.

Honored Contributor

We met at work, he was sort of my boss, (one of the owners of the business)  At the time I had no idea he was going thru a divorce, but I knew I would marry him some day, ..and I did.  We have been married 40+ years.

His ex wife told the kids  I was marrying for money as there is an age gap..funny thing is, he did not have money...she just did not want him to find happiness or the kids to like me.

She was miserable in the marriage and nothing has changed for her, she is still miserable...her loss, my gain.

Esteemed Contributor

Met my husband thru a newspaper ad advertising singles. He was not my first

date but my last. This was in the mid 90's and we recently celebrated our 22nd anniversary last week.

Respected Contributor

Hitchhiking on a college campus...instant ❤ 

Respected Contributor

After being married to my first husband for 21 years, I was divorced, with five children. I met my second husband six years later.

A co-worker, who had already matched up three of her friends,with friends of her husband and all three married, told me that she knew someone who would be perfect for me. She was a young girl in her 20's, but had a knack as a matchmaker.

She had worked in his office previously. She said that he had

been separated from his wife for a year. I was reluctant because I did not date men who were separated. I felt that a separated

couple could get back together.

Well, it was close to a year before she introduced us. He was

still separated and getting a divorce. She had to think of a way to get us to meet.

At the time, he was Associate DPW Commissioner and his

main job was running the city cemetary, overlooking the greenhouses, landscaping and running the maintenance department of all the trucks and equipment. He also was in charge of all the burials and funerals that took place there. It is

a huge cemetary, over 200 years old, beautiful with lots of trees and a pond.

She came up with an idea to make an appointment to see him

to discuss her family's burial plots and disputes with aunts. My mother had passed away the previous winter and with frozen ground in January, they could not install her gravestone. Now it was May. I wanted to bring flowers to my mother's grave for Mothers' Day and her stone still had not been placed yet. I left the flowers where I thought her plot was.

On May 18th, we went to her appointment at his office. She

introduced us and discussed her matter. Then I asked if my mother's stone had been set yet. He drove us to the section where my mother was buried. I had left the flowers at the right place. Holly sat in the front seat with him and I sat in the back.

Meeting him was not what I expected. He was older and had

gray and white hair and blue eyes, like Phil Donahue. Suit and

tie, very professional and I did'nt think that he had taken any

special notice of me.  He was so opposite anyone that I had dated while single. I was attracted to the dark Mediterranean type.I left them both and had to stop at the supermarket on the way home.

When I got home, my son said "Holly wants you to call her right away". So I did. She said " He was so impressed with you. He wants to know if he can call you." I said, well he seems like a gentleman, okay, he can call. I did'nt think that he took that much notice of me. I wasn't really attracted to him.

He did call me that night and asked if he could take me to

dinner in two days. I agreed. When he picked me up, he asked if I was related to a man who had the same last name as I had.

I said yes, that is my ex-husband. He told me that he had hired

my ex to work in his department on the same day we met at his office. He was a very attentive, charming gentleman and we liked a lot of the same things.

We were married two years later, in June on my mother's

birthday. Next month is our 31st anniversary.

Valued Contributor

I met mine when I was 8 and he was 9.  He just moved into the neighborhood a few doors up and crashed my parents' 4th of July cookout.  We were friends all through childhood, but didn't date until college.

Trusted Contributor

Back in the 80's it was common to go out to a bar and listen to live music,dance and have a few beers.( I'm embarrassed to say that now) but it was what most  people my age did. It was super crowded that night and we could not get a table but this very nice guy offered us a seat at his table. I just knew immediately he was someone I wanted to know! A few months later we ran into each other again and began dating. My instincts were right and now 42 years later everything is still going great!!

Respected Contributor

Re: ...And Then They Met

[ Edited ]

Met my husband through a friend who took me to this bar that said the bartender was a lot of fun.  So the next night I went with her and we hit it off right away.  He had the prettiest blue eyes and a great smile and sense of humor.

Asked me out and we went out the next day and been together ever since.  50 years in June.  Took me to a movie and went and got candy and popcorn and drinks and said I didn't  ask because I didn't want you to be shy and say no.  Lol. I would have too.

He was working the bar as his second job until he got hired full time on his other job.  Which he did shortly after.  Gave up the bartender job after.

Funny how things work out and my friend had to beg me to go to the bar too.

I would say we have had a pretty good marriage with ups and downs like everyone else.