Valued Contributor

I should have clarified -- I did do 23andMe last year, including the health profile.  I have participated in some of the questionnaires, but not all.

What I really want to know is if Ancestry offers better (more specific or extensive) results.

Honored Contributor

9858112A-632C-4FC1-935A-E67BE5B987F8.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Stevie Nix  I did 23andMe because I wanted the health side of it. 

I will caution you that the health portion is not for the faint of heart.  I got a big surprise back in mine and it was life changing to say the least.

At minimum, you're basically being told what you are genetically predisposed to die from and none of those diseases is good or expected.  You can opt out of the biggies if you want to.  

As far as 23andMe disclaimers, there are several levels of anonymity you may choose to have or not have when you sign up.  I authorized 23andMe only with my identifiable DNA but they have my permission to share me anonymously with other research labs.  Anything beyond that, they must ask my permission and they have. 

At present, the HIPPA laws are that no insurance carrier has the right to see anything you do outside of your doctor's office.  If you are concerned, don't share the info with your medical doctor and no one will ever know you did outside genetic testing. 

23andMe only overrides your permissions with a court issued supina.  Period.   If you release your results elsewhere to a doctor, Prometheus, insurance agent, etc, that's on you and it may not be protected.    

For the public searches, I am only initials for anyone looking for relatives so if you are related to me, you dont get much other than LT is a probable 2nd cousin, 5th, etc.  There are separate levels of sharing or you don't have to share at all.  

I am thinking of gifting a few myself for birthdays.  It's definitely a talker and they do update your results periodically.  If you are just looking for ancestry, anyone will probably do.               

Respected Contributor

You have the choice whether you want the medical or not. I did the Ancestry (no medical) and boy oh boy some big surprises and some confirmations. I absolutely love it, would not hesitate. I think Ancestery is also more world-wide, just from the information I received.  

I think we are incredibly lucky to have a truly legitimate way to see our current and past DNA history.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 

@Laura14 wrote:

@Stevie Nix 

At minimum, you're basically being told what you are genetically predisposed to die from and none of those diseases is good or expected.  You can opt out of the biggies if you want to.  

As far as 23andMe disclaimers, there are several levels of anonymity you may choose to have or not have when you sign up.  I authorized 23andMe only with my identifiable DNA but they have my permission to share me anonymously with other research labs.  Anything beyond that, they must ask my permission and they have. 

At present, the HIPPA laws are that no insurance carrier has the right to see anything you do outside of your doctor's office.  If you are concerned, don't share the info with your medical doctor and no one will ever know you did outside genetic testing. 

23andMe only overrides your permissions with a court issued supina.  Period.   If you release your results elsewhere to a doctor, Prometheus, insurance agent, etc, that's on you and it may not be protected.    

For the public searches, I am only initials for anyone looking for relatives so if you are related to me, you dont get much other than LT is a probable 2nd cousin, 5th, etc.  There are separate levels of sharing or you don't have to share at all.  

I am thinking of gifting a few myself for birthdays.  It's definitely a talker and they do update your results periodically.  If you are just looking for ancestry, anyone will probably do.               

@Laura14 All that you said was very good, and I like that you mentioned based upon your DNA you are genetically predisposed to certain things. That was really good information that I received and was kind of aware of my predispositions, but found it interesting that the testing could see/find that. 

Super Contributor

LuvMyLab,  I did Ancestry because I wanted to research our familys geneology.  I think this site is more helpful in answerjng questions.  I have now been able to create a family tree going back to 1600's on my Fathers side and 1300's in my Mothers.  I also am working on my husbands family so my children will have that.  Creating these trees have been very fascinating and time consuming.  I have seen ancestral pictures, land deeds, marriage / birth certificates and so very much more.

So, I think its what you are interested in.  Ancestry provides the ability to make a family tree and keep it private if you choose.  You can use a password if you dont want to use your name in addition to clicking on privacy settings.  If you are specifically interested in the health side, then go with 23 and Me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ancestry vs 23andMe

[ Edited ]
I see someone else asked the question so I deleted mine.
"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Stevie Nix wrote:

I'm thinking of giving one of these as Christmas gifts.  For those of you who have used one or both, how do you rate them?  Is one giving better information than the other?  Any opinions appreciated.

@Stevie Nix  Are you sure that the recipients would want these as gifts???

@Cakers3 Like any gift, if the recipient doesn't want it, they may give it to someone else. Heart

Honored Contributor

I think my mother did the Ancestry one, personally I have some serious concerns about what happens to your information without your knowledge or consent.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband did the ancestry one when they had a special. He knew all of what it said because he does our family history on ancestry for years now. I may do the DNA next, only because I am 1/2 Italian , and while my moms chart for her side is finished, I am unable to trace past my great grandparents on my Italian (dads) side (unless I join ancestry Italia) At first I did not want to do the DNA (invasion of privacy) but now I do. PS Hundreds and hundreds came up related to my husband in his DNA. He tried to contact a few of the closest ones. No one answered him..lol. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles