Respected Contributor

@Trinity11  Thank you for the information.

Trusted Contributor

I also did 23 and me.  There was a special last year (around Thanksgiving time I think) for $50 so I told our son and fiancee that was what we wanted for Christmas.  My husband had no surprizes, but I thought I had some American Indian, but no.  That was a shock.  Also did not do the health portion.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Trinity11  Thank you for the information.

You are welcome @Allegheny. Also wanted to mention it was less than $10.00 a few years ago when I did it ..so it is inexpensive. I showed the results to my physician. Apparently, I have a gene that affects how some medications would work regarding heart disease. It was very helpful.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Re: Ancestory vs 23andMe

[ Edited ]

I  believe in the future your DNA will become a part of your medical history and be kept on file as illness and disease will be cured  using DNA.    BUT  until that time.... right now the DNA business is like the WILD WEST.  No rules, no regulations.... and your information is for anyone to use or buy on the open market... no matter what you sign or stipulate when you sign up for having it done.

I had it done a while back and now wish I really had not as I wonder where my information will end up......

Honored Contributor

my mom used ancestry and she was pleased with the process. she did get a few surprises with her test results. she purchased one for me for my birthday when they went on sale. i have not sent it in yet.  will do that AND maybe also get a 23andME test to compare.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Stevie Nix What a wonderful idea for a Christmas gift!

It was one year ago when I purchased Ancestry, 23 and Me, and also National Geographic's version. I was curious to know if there would be any variance. I chose those three because Ancestry seemed to be the most known and widely used by the people I know; 23 and Me had the medical add-on which intrigued me (a relative told me about his medical results using this company); and National Geographic because it is a reputable and trustworthy company.

I found all three said basically the same thing; however, I usually recommend 23 and Me because it gives you the option of adding (for more money) medical information based upon your DNA. That was very interesting to me.

My relative had given the medical details from his DNA results to his doctor, and it was helpful to the doctor with a particular puzzling "find" that the doctor was not sure of. The DNA/medical results helped him zero in on the final diagnosis, turning them in a completely different direction for further tests! Hooray!

Ancestry was the cheapest...usually around $99, but has specials in the $65 range; National Geographic was the most expensive. Think that was around $150-175.

NG also asked if I would participate in a more extensive focus group, which involved lots more questions. I started to do it, but after about one hour, without them showing how many questions were left, I bowed out. Plus, the questions were so very, very personal, that I was uncomfortable in going further.

Again, what a wonderful gift to give! I too gave it to someone for Christmas last year; someone who had questions about his parentage. Tears came down his cheeks because it was something he had been wanting to do, but couldn't afford to do. He shared the results with me and was pleased to find out more about his ancestry, which he was never quite sure. His comment was "now everything makes sense to me." 

All three of these DNA companies offer you further research to go deeper into your background, if you want to do that.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Just remember sometimes people from the past you have no idea who they are can surface.  

It's like opening a whole can of worms.  

@Sunshine Kate You are given the option of making it known that you are available for contact. At least the three companies I used allowed for that.

They ask if you want them to allow your information (name, address, etc., ) available to others who have tested and with whom you share the same name or "regional" area. I said "no" and have not been contacted by anyone, even though I personally know relatives who used the same companies I used. I asked them,, and they said my name did not show. However, I was able to see their name and some basic "share" information they had given permission to be seen. 

Regular Contributor

@Trinity11

How did you plug your results into Prometheus? Are there instructions on the 23 and me site?

thanks!

dragonfly

Honored Contributor

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

@Trinity11

How did you plug your results into Prometheus? Are there instructions on the 23 and me site?

thanks!

dragonfly

I received an email with instructions after I received my results from Ancestory @Dragonflyveb. It was easy and I think it took a day or 2 to receive the results. Hope that helps.

Frequent Contributor

Not really, unless you into worms.  Order if you curious about your dna, and share it only with people you want to know about the results.  Easy peesy.