Valued Contributor

Ancestry site's DNA test questions

I read a long time ago on one of the threads, something about the test being better if done by a male relative to get your father's information.  Does anybody know about that?

Also, if a female has it done, does it give the information regarding the father's heritage?

Thanks, to anybody who knows about this.

Valued Contributor

Re: Ancestry site's DNA test questions

I hope somebody's around today that knows the answers to this.  Today is the last day of the sale on the test.  Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

These $100 "tests" only give general information.     They connect you with other people with the same results, with the objective of finding relatives.   They are not specific to you personally.......except to tell you that you are European, Asian..........etc.  and give you various traits or characteristics. 

Do a little "Google research" on the various companies that do these tests. 

I decided not to waste my money.    My father had no birth certificate (home birth)..........school records destroyed by fire...........and.....well OK......not even sure if he was legitimate.          

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

http://dna.ancestry.com/

Go to the above site, scroll down and on the right hand side you'll find several topics  about the test and results.  Scroll all the way to the bottom and choose FAQ and you will find answers to just about everything you can think of about their tests, can they get results from women alone, etc etc. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anniecamp wrote:

I read a long time ago on one of the threads, something about the test being better if done by a male relative to get your father's information.  Does anybody know about that?

Also, if a female has it done, does it give the information regarding the father's heritage?

Thanks, to anybody who knows about this.

My uncle was very happy he did this.  He is almost 90 and had no idea that he is 66% English and a percentage Asian and other things. 

Respected Contributor

I bought 3 kits two weeks ago.  One for my 88 year old dad, DH and myself.

We did the test yesterday and will drop the kits in the mail tomorrow.

I joked with my dad and asked if I was adopted because now would be the time to say something.  It's funny because I resemble his side of the family other than my coloring.

Three of my grandparents were immigrants, two from Sicily and one from England.  I believe my other grandmother was U.S. born of German decent we believe.

We'll see...the test takes 6-8 weeks for results.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I have had the test done. All children inherit 50% of their genes from their mom and 50% from their dads. Having a male or female take the test doesn't make any difference. When you get the results, you do not know which of your results are from your mom or dad. Ancestry tells you to make a family tree to determine that. Sometimes you are able to tell which genes came from where if you know some family history. I am very excited that I took the test and would encourage every one to do it who wants to know their genetic makeup.

Trusted Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Apple Crisp wrote:

I have had the test done. All children inherit 50% of their genes from their mom and 50% from their dads. Having a male or female take the test doesn't make any difference. When you get the results, you do not know which of your results are from your mom or dad. Ancestry tells you to make a family tree to determine that. Sometimes you are able to tell which genes came from where if you know some family history. I am very excited that I took the test and would encourage every one to do it who wants to know their genetic makeup.

Yes, it does make a difference to many people whether a male relative is available to take the test, *precisely because* when you test yourself, you do not know which results are from your mother or your father. Being able to have test results from a male relative narrows certain things down one way or another with further paternal genetic information.

One individual may only care about a simple result, but many others have reasons (and I can think of quite a few) they would like to know specifically about father's and mother's genetic make-up, separately.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all