Valued Contributor

Ancestry.Com and the Low Confidence Regions category...

Okay so like I got my DNA done by Ancestry.Com and it came out like how I thought it would EXCEPT for 35% of my DNA which is listed in the "Low Confidence Regions".  So basically I have 35% of most every race on the planet.  I'm not kidding,

African Ivory Coast 8%,

European Jewish 8%

Irish/Scottish 8%

Scandinavian 5%

Asian 5%

And so on

I seriously don't know what to think about this category.  So are they not sure?  If so, why even list it?

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

Re: Ancestry.Com and the Low Confidence Regions category...

Isn't that a question for Ancestry.com ?

Honored Contributor

They list what they found.  Mine showed 7% Europe South, 3% Scandinavia and 2% Finland/Nothwet Russia along with the others.  To me, it's shows a migration because they all intermingle.  Migrations for war, food, adventure, whatever.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

Isn't that a question for Ancestry.com ?

Of course and I did e-mail them.  They gave a very vague, unsatisfying standard statement you can just google. 

My question here is how do people feel about this category.  For example, I tend to want to dismiss it because Ancestry.com is not sure of it, thus the "Low Confidence".  On the other hand so then why list it at all?  I just don't get it, so I want to find out how others feel about it. 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor

That is curious. By "low confidence region" do they mean they don't know?  My younger granddaughter had hers just come back,too. She had 0.01% unassigned. Whatever that means.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I ignore that part of my profile. It's simply a prediction of what might be in my DNA and I look at this percentage as a guess rather than a given.

Honored Contributor

My understanding is that there is such a small sample, they can’t be specific about the country.  They can sometimes tell a general region, French-German can come out like that, the region of.

Notice they were not all listed as a specific country.

Some of mine on 23&Me came out non-specific Southern European. I assume that’s a similar category.

Trusted Contributor

I find it confusing that different dna companys have different information.  Also, I didn't have a chance to read a good article about dna testing. What do they do with everyone's sample when they're done testing.  

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmomwrote:

I find it confusing that different dna companys have different information.  Also, I didn't have a chance to read a good article about dna testing. What do they do with everyone's sample when they're done testing.  

@puttypiesmom

The data is kept for you to refer to and to be updated every so often.  

Supposedly, Ancestry dot com covers more countries than 23&Me.  Both constantly work on updates. You can use the privacy setting so your info isn’t out there.

Respected Contributor

When I first did mine (about a year ago Christmas time) the explanation for this area was given as if it was less than 5% it meant that they were not sure -that it might be part of your ethnicity or that it might just be chance.  Now the explanation is longer and talks about DNA ranges.  https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help/ethnicity/trace-regions

With a little more reading, I saw that they run 40 tests on your dna and the range indicates the lowest and highest scores from these 40 tests.  If any of these 40 tests show a zero for that ethnicity then they put it in the low confidence regions.

Personally, I go by the original explanation- it could be there or it could be chance!  

That being said, both of my parents tested and my low confidence regions appeared on one or the others DNA report also.