Honored Contributor

Re: An opinion please (virus related)

@NickNack wrote:

If you're planning on paying her like your daughter is, will you be able to afford (or willing) to pay her for several months when she isn't coming?  I wouldn't be able to do that.

@NickNack   I couldn't pay my service indefinitely either. I think it could be a few months before ALL cases cease and we know the threat is over...for now. It'll be awhile until we all don't second guess our safety with other people in our space.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@pitdakota, thank you, as always.Heart

No problem @suzyQ3Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

I'm confused.  There are posts that say they couldn't afford to pay their housekeeper(s) for an extended period if they are put on hiatus.

If you can afford to pay them when they are working why can't they be afforded when you've asked them not to come and clean?

That is an entirely different situation than the housekeeper(s) not working of their own volition.

@Marp   I'm assuming you're referring to me since I'm the only one who said that.  I guess not being able to afford isn't really correct.  I have the money but am not inclined to spend it for services I'm not receiving for several months.  I would just have a hard time paying someone for several months when they weren't actually doing their job (since I'm an individual and not a business), although I know without pay the housekeeper would find other jobs instead of mine.

I'm not interested in pausing my housekeepers though, so it isn't an issue.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

our cleaning lady is due on monday and tuesday.

i actually added an extra day to help with some spring cleaning and spot cleaning of the carpets. i have not canceled her.

everyone has to do what THEY feel is the right thing in this situation.

i am trying to go about my every day life without too much disruption. it actually makes me feel BETTER to do this. we just got back from our favorite seafood restaurant for a late lunch and cocktails. they were quite busy. i own two small businesses and it is business as usual with no noticeable downturn as of now.

wishing you all good health, good luck, and less stressful days ahead.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm not in a position to afford to pay someone for not working... If I felt serious concern that the cleaning woman might be a risk, I'd be more inclined to simply indicate I wouldn't need her services for a few weeks.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I'm confused.  There are posts that say they couldn't afford to pay their housekeeper(s) for an extended period if they are put on hiatus.

If you can afford to pay them when they are working why can't they be afforded when you've asked them not to come and clean?

That is an entirely different situation than the housekeeper(s) not working of their own volition.

@Marp   I'm assuming you're referring to me since I'm the only one who said that.  I guess not being able to afford isn't really correct.  I have the money but am not inclined to spend it for services I'm not receiving for several months.  I would just have a hard time paying someone for several months when they weren't actually doing their job (since I'm an individual and not a business), although I know without pay the housekeeper would find other jobs instead of mine.

I'm not interested in pausing my housekeepers though, so it isn't an issue.

@NickNack   I responded something to the effect of not paying the cleaning service for an extended period of time, too. I'm paying now for a service. If I ask her not to come in for awhile and offer to pay for a set amount of time, that's one thing. No, if this goes on for months and her other 12-15 clients have also asked her not to come in, I don't think we would all be continuing to pay. 

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

For me, it's a simple matter of organizing finances to be able to afford to pay someone for work I need to have done but simply not being willing to pay someone, no matter how much I might value them, for NOT coming to do the job, whether it's my choice or not...  I'm sorry, I'm simply not going to pay someone what amounts to a retainer... Again, those who can afford to do so can do as they wish... It's not the cleaner's fault this mess has surfaced, but it's not mine either...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not in a position to afford to pay someone for not working... If I felt serious concern that the cleaning woman might be a risk, I'd be more inclined to simply indicate I wouldn't need her services for a few weeks.

@stevieb   I'm going to be honest and talk to her about the safety of both our families by keeping our distance in case one of us has been in contact w/ an affected person. I do need her services and will in the future. She may not want to quit and waiting for me to make the first move. 

Esteemed Contributor

My parents have had a woman who comes twice each week to clean their house for several years--Wednesdays and Saturdays at 8:30 a.m.  She cleans the next door neighbor's house too, as well as some other families on a regular basis.  At this time, they aren't cancelling her services.  My mom purchases the cleaning supplies and the lady uses my mom's vacuum cleaner and other tools.  This woman is very kind to my parents and my mom treats her like family.  I don't think it would go over very well if I suggested to my mom to put her on paid leave.  

Honored Contributor

A very smart way to handle things right now. The housekeeper touches so many surfaces in so many places...she probably has a much better chance of carrying the virus from home to home than even she realizes. I am sure the housekeeper appreciates the consideration.