Honored Contributor

Re: An opinion please (virus related)

If you're planning on paying her like your daughter is, will you be able to afford (or willing) to pay her for several months when she isn't coming?  I wouldn't be able to do that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

If you're planning on paying her like your daughter is, will you be able to afford (or willing) to pay her for several months when she isn't coming?  I wouldn't be able to do that.

@NickNack, it just might be a few months; right?

Yes, fortunately we can do that. Now, if it was someone from an agency or someone we hadn't had for very long, we'd probably go ahead and tell them that we no longer need their services.

But this woman is almost like family to us. She actually worked for the previous owners and has been with us, as I mentiond, for 16 years! So I am very glad that we can keep her "employed."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

I am thinking just the opposite.  My husband is a fireman/paramedic and I work as a hand therapist in a hospital outpatient clinic.  My daughter is a flight attendant.  I feel we are at a higher than normal risk families so I would not want to expose her and other family's homes that she cleans to be at risk.  I am not I could fully pay her for months if she is not working but I would like to offer her at least half pay during this time.   We must do All we can in order to stop the spread.  Remeber that:  Healthcare is of the peope, by the people and for the people.  

Honored Contributor

@CHTKT wrote:

I am thinking just the opposite.  My husband is a fireman/paramedic and I work as a hand therapist in a hospital outpatient clinic.  My daughter is a flight attendant.  I feel we are at a higher than normal risk families so I would not want to expose her and other family's homes that she cleans to be at risk.  I am not I could fully pay her for months if she is not working but I would like to offer her at least half pay during this time.   We must do All we can in order to stop the spread.  Remeber that:  Healthcare is of the peope, by the people and for the people.  

@CHTKT, you're absolutely right in thinking of yourself and family as being vectors. That is also on my daughter's mind, but she's seems concerned about us as well.

I'm sure that whatever you can give her would be much appreciated.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

What would you do if you have a cleaning woman who delivers food trays to patients in hospitals. She is scanned for a temperature everyday upon reporting to work. She is due to work this Friday, and my husband and I are both in our eighties.

Would appreciate the input.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know the circumstances surrounding the housekeeper's financial status. But there is such a thing as hardship income assistance provided by the government. I know a few families who had gotten assistance when things went irrevocably downhill for them. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3, the only thing I can do is tell you what I would do in your same situation.  Yes, I would give her paid leave for 2 weeks.  In the meantime you can sit back and monitor the cases in your surrounding area within those 2 weeks to re-evaluate at that time.

Community transmission is most certainly occurring, but not every single geographical region is going to become a hotbed of activity.  And then again, the odds are that many will do just that.  Case in point:  New York.

So I would take a pause with her coming to clean for 2 weeks and then see what kind of activity is in your area as you start to get to the end of that time period. For me, I would not want to take any chance at all and do whatever I could to minimize the risk to my family.  Hope that helps. Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

My inclination would be to pass on the next cleaning but still pay her at least 60% of her fee, probably all if feasible. I'd clean my own home and take a look at the statistics week by week. Our county doesn't have a confirmed case, so I personally would have her clean, but you indicated you are in the risk group which is my reason for suggesting you pass for now. 

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota, thank you, as always.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I'm confused.  There are posts that say they couldn't afford to pay their housekeeper(s) for an extended period if they are put on hiatus.

If you can afford to pay them when they are working why can't they be afforded when you've asked them not to come and clean?

That is an entirely different situation than the housekeeper(s) not working of their own volition.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.