Trusted Contributor

Re: An old friend called to let me know she has cancer- advice needed

I can tell you little things people did for me when I was going through my fight with Breast Cancer.....things that really touched me.

One lady, who I knew but wasn't particularly close with sent me a card every week or two. Sometimes funny cards....sometimes sweet cards. Sometimes she sent just the card, sometimes she tucked something into the cared: a couple of gourmet tea bags....a bookmark....a newspaper or magazine clipping. I looked forward to her cards very much.

Another friend brought me a stack of books she had read and enjoyed.

One friend, who had been through chemotherapy herself and knew what it was like, left a basket on my doorstep. The basket contained a large insulated mug with a note telling me how important it was to drink lots of water and stay hydrated when going through chemo, a pair of warm, comfy slippers, a couple of cute knit hats and some magazines.

I had friends bring me homemade soup.

I had friends who would call the day before to make sure I was up to company, then pick up lunch from my favorite restaurant the next day, deliver it and eat with me.

Your friendship is what she needs most......the fact that you care enough to ask for ways to help her says a lot. She's lucky to have you.

Super Contributor

Re: An old friend called to let me know she has cancer- advice needed

I HAVE A FRIEND IN ANOTHER STATE THAT IS BATTLING CANCER AND ALSO GOING THROUGH A DIVORCE AT THE SAME TIME. THE ONLY WAY I CAN HELP HER IS TO BE ON THE OTHER END OF MY PHONE WHEN SHE NEEDS TO TALK AND WE TEXT DAILY......JUST TO LET HER VENT ......I CAN GIVE SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT AND WE PRAY TOGETHER A LOT.

I CAN'T TAKE HER A BOWL OF SOUP OR GIVE HER A HUG BUT SHE KNOWS I AM ALWAYS HERE ..........ALWAYS HERE TO LISTEN AND READY TO GIVE ADVICE IF SHE ASKS.