Trusted Contributor

Re: An observation on the third day of California's reopening

I am fully vaccinated and still wear a mask in certain places such as CVS and the grocery store.  The local post office is small without much space to socially distance, so I wear it there as well.  When I am more comfortable with various statistics and how this new variant plays out, then I will wear a mask less often.

My employer now wants us all to return to work 2-3 days a week to engage with our teams.  Those that are not vaccinated are required to wear a mask.  Everyone is supposed to be on the honor system about their vax status, meaning, wear a mask if not vaccinated.  There is one person on our team that refuses to get the vaccine because he doesn't feel it's safe.  He also feels he shouldn't be forced to wear a mask at work.  Instead, he feels that anyone that is afraid to be around him should wear a mask.

I got the Moderna vaccine.  I had an unpleasant but manageable reaction with the second dose.  I would get it again in a heartbeat though to help protect my kids and their families, especially the younger granddaughter that isn't old enough for the vaccine and only has one kidney.

Respected Contributor

I'm in Northern CA.  Most people are still wearing masks inside of businesses, so I am doing the same.  Being fully vaccinated, I'm not really concerned about getting or passing anything on, but I really don't want the hassle of someone giving me a hard time for not wearing a mask. 

I did go to get a smog check and was outdoors.  The owner walked up wearing a mask and I told him I was fully vaccinated.  I asked him if he would prefer that I put on my mask and he said yes.  I was outside of the business the entire time of the smog check.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grand Happy   You said you still see "the odd ball" wearing a mask alone in their car...... they aren't "odd balls"...  They are most likely a delivery driver (don't you want the person delivering your pizza or groceries to wear a mask?) or they are delivering medications, to work for Uber (our drivers have to wear one at all times). Why are people so judgemental about who is or who isn't wearing a mask?  I'm already so tired of people judging and staring whether you have a mask or not. Just mind your own business.  

Edited to say I always wear a mask in a store or business and will continue till I'm comfortable. And NO vaccine for me.  That's my choice because I have a issue with blood clotting. 

Respected Contributor

I don't mind wearing a mask and wore one today when I went to the department of motor vehicles and shopping at an outlet store.   I was definitely in the minority but was really glad I had on my kn95 when I heard several shoppers coughing and sneezing all over.  I also made sure I kept my distance from those people.  Made me remember that it isn't just covid that you can get.  And yes I am vaccinated.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

My husband still wears his even though fully vaccinated and he said he gets a lot of dirty looks from people.

It's one way to keep people out of your personal bubble of space.

Respected Contributor

I'm in NJ and the majority of people, myself included, are still wearing them in stores. Yesterday I was at a chain restaurant/bar and they had a sign on the door that masks were required.   I know their employees don't have to wear one if they are vaccinated, and they have to show their cards to prove it.

Valued Contributor

@LdyBugz  Your Co-worker is not wrong. If you are vaccinated why are you worried about him? He ,being not Vaxed will know that he is sick & stay home.On the other hand,you being Vaxed can still get Covid but may not know that you are and will spread it,to vaxed & unvaxed. Being Fully vaxed doesn't mean you are IMMUNE to covid. You can still get,even though it maybe a mid case,it's still Covid and you can give it to someone.

Honored Contributor

@Alexa6352 wrote:

@LdyBugz  Your Co-worker is not wrong. If you are vaccinated why are you worried about him? He ,being not Vaxed will know that he is sick & stay home....

Why would you assume that an unvaxxed person would automatically know the exact moment they caught Covid? They could easily be asymptomatic and unknowingly spreading it to everyone everywhere they go. Including everyone at work.

And medicine averse people who don't trust statistics or doctors and who think Covid testing is corrupt are not likely to run out and get tested to know their status. They will probably refuse to believe they even have Covid right up until the end, when they either survive it (easily or barely) or pass on, due to their steadfast faith in whatever folk remedy they are using.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Porcelain  It's been proven that ASYMPTOMATIC People are not spreading the virus. That was BS telling people they were spreading it and not knowing you were,to get you to wear a Mask,knowing that Masks don't do anything.BUT you who are vaxed,because the Vax will lessen your symptoms,might not know you are sick and you will spread it,that is a FACT..If you look at the NY Yankees team all fully vaxed and yet 9 people came up Positive and 2 of hem came down with Covid one was so sick he needed to be hopitalized with not only covid but developed a blood disorder. So, being fully vaxed and looking at people who are not as someone who you should fear..that is so wrong.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I find the whole mask mentality fascinating.

In the beginning, we were like, "No! I don't wanna wear a mask!!!! (And some never did, granted)"

Now, we are so used to wearing them, that we are now like, " No! I don't wanna take it off!!! "

Yes, I know that there might be extenuating circumstances as to why that might be, (to protect small children, health reasons, etc). But, by and large, for the most part, it's like masks have become a security blanket that we don't want to give up.

Just something that I find interesting, that's all.

@Anonymous032819 It is interesting. I was one who didn't want to wear a mask- it felt wrong and uncomfortable, but since wearing them became mandated, I complied.

Now I'm one that is so used to my mask that it's hard to remember to NOT wear it. I used to go into stores and had to run back out to my car for my mask because I kept forgetting it. When the kids were with me they would remind me.

But now I'm forgetting to not wear it!