Honored Contributor

Re: An informative article about vitamin supplements...

@FrostyBabe wrote:

The article echoes exactly what my doctor has told me for several years...that eating a healthy, balanced diet negates the need for any supplements. 

Few doctors know know much of anything on nutrition.  How many Americans REALLY eat a healthy balanced diet? 

Honored Contributor

I'd rather eat a healthy, balanced diet than take a bunch of pills.  It's not really any different than taking medications you possibly may not need to take if you would start eating better. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Just like diet is no body's business but your own, what supplements a person takes or how many is THEIR business.  

Unfortunately, it IS my business.

All the 'innocent' supplements giving false security...eating a bad diet to fix it with a pill. All this results in continued bad health, more medication...eventually making my insurance rates higher.
It's my business.

All the animals used to test and/or create these vitamins...killing animals for a pill. They have no voice, but I speak for them.
It's my business.

All those bottles, which hold those vitamins, causing a huge plastic footprint in the landfill of my city.
It's my business.

All those add'l vitamins/minerals/synthetic materials being flushed down the toilet getting in my water system?
It's my business.

And if I had a doctor tell me I should supplement without ANY word about better nutrition & working to remove existing medication, I would smile pretty, say 'Bless Your Heart", and never, ever return.

Years & years & years of medical school, charging exorbitant prices only to prescribe a 'Flintstones Chewable?" Hellz no.

Stuns me to think there are doctors out there doing just this.

It's all about the food.
Plain and simple.
You cause the problem with the food.
You fix the problem with the food.

Respected Contributor

Well, unless you are growing your own food, or living right next to the grower - that fresh food has lost a lot of those nutrients.  That's just reality.

Trusted Contributor

@FrostyBabe wrote:

The article echoes exactly what my doctor has told me for several years...that eating a healthy, balanced diet negates the need for any supplements. 

Unfortunately that is not always true.  I eat a healthy balanced diet and get out into the sun but my vitamin D levels were dangerously low and stay there unless I take a supplement.  The difference for me is that I was actually tested and I think a lot of people just take supplements without knowing if they have a normal level or not.  I have also seen a number of comments over the years on this and other sites about people taking over the counter estroven type hormones and using progesterone creams also without any idea if their levels are normal. I was tested for those as well and had a progesterone deficiency but normal estrogen.  None of those blodd tests were expensive and all were covered by insurance.  The point is check with your physician and get some tests if you suspect a problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Just like diet is no body's business but your own, what supplements a person takes or how many is THEIR business.  

All the 'innocent' supplements giving false security...eating a bad diet to fix it with a pill. All this results in continued bad health, more medication...eventually making my insurance rates higher.
It's my business.

All the animals used to test and/or create these vitamins...killing animals for a pill. They have no voice, but I speak for them.
It's my business.

All those bottles, which hold those vitamins, causing a huge plastic footprint in the landfill of my city.
It's my business.

All those add'l vitamins/minerals/synthetic materials being flushed down the toilet getting in my water system?
It's my business.

And if I had a doctor tell me I should supplement without ANY word about better nutrition & working to remove existing medication, I would smile pretty, say 'Bless Your Heart", and never, ever return.

Years & years & years of medical school, charging exorbitant prices only to prescribe a 'Flintstones Chewable?" Hellz no.

It's all about the food.
Plain and simple.

WOW, guess you think everything is your business.  What else .......

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@FrostyBabe wrote:

Few doctors know know much of anything on nutrition.  How many Americans REALLY eat a healthy balanced diet? 

This is so true. I have attempted to have talks with various doctors about nutrition, vitamins and minerals, and they really don't have much input. Many are not at all schooled in the subject to any depth. 

Super Contributor

I agree that many people take way too many vitamin/mineral supplements. I also agree that a lot of us do not eat a balanced diet everyday, especially fruits and vegetables. That is the reason that my husband and I take a simple mulitvitamin, similar to the old One A Day, which incidently is very difficult to find. You can find vitamins only for mem and women over and under 50, vitamins for your eyes, all types of vitamins, minerals and supplements from A to Z, but the good old One A Day type vitamin pill, the little red ones, have become rare. For those who are interested, CVS is the only store that we have found, that still sells a version of these vitamins. Just went shopping for them last week.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It's my business.

It's my business.

It's my business.

It's my business.

It's all about the food.
Plain and simple.

This is way too simplistic, and is nowhere close to the truth for many people and various issues that they have that can be helped with certain vitamins and mineral suppliments.

Anyone taking a "Flinstone" vitamin (or anything that resembles it) isn't serious about fixing anything or in aiding their body with real vitamin or mineral additions. It is a much more in depth thing than people eat bad, people need a nutrition lesson. There are many people who despite excellent diets, still have deficiencies in some areas. 

And it really isn't anyone else's business (unless they want it to be) about whether others do or don't take supplements. What a crock going so far as the use of the landfill or water systems as some lame excuse for making it so. 

I guess that makes it everyone's business how much one drives a car, or travels on planes, because of the horrible damage done to the ozone and the depletion of our natural resources every time one does so.

Give me a break.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@FrostyBabe wrote:

This is so true. I have attempted to have talks with various doctors about nutrition, vitamins and minerals, and they really don't have much input. Many are not at all schooled in the subject to any depth. 

THAT'S why we must be ambassors to our own good health.

Read. Listen. Learn. Make educated choices.  Do it right.

I'm currently reading a book called "How Not to Die" by Dr. Michael Greger.
He talks about his journey through medical school...looking for nutritional education:

"Only a quarter of medical schools appear to offer a single dedicated course on nutrition. During my first interview, for medical school at Cornell University, I remember the interviewer empathetically stating, "Nutrition is superfluous to human health." And he was a pediatrician! I know I was in for a long road ahead. Come to think of it, I think the only medical professional who ever asked me about family member's diet was...our veterinarian."

We care more about what we feed Fluffy & Rover than Grandma.

Sad, but true.