Valued Contributor

Re: An incident in the news made me think about

We don't have to assume she was impaired.  People in cities do not always have cars and depend on public transportation, taxies and ubers.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe changes will go into effect where an uber car is more easily identified

after this unfortunate death.

Something to make it more visible for riders. 

Honored Contributor

Some of this I don’t understand. I have never used Uber but I have used Lyft quite a few times. There is always a picture of the car and the driver that comes up on my app and the car has a Lyft sticker.
Valued Contributor

I read the car was equipped with child safety locks and this poor young woman had no way of escaping. The entire story is just horrific and tragic. The only good news is how quickly the police got their man.
Respected Contributor

Yes, always.   They give you the car description, plate number, driver's name and approximate arrival time.  Plenty of information to verify that car is your Uber.   

Trusted Contributor

The thing I find most shocking is the short odds of this happening to begin with. Your Uber leaves because you aren't out there and the worng car you decide to get into is some nut case who wants to kill you. You have a much better chance of opening the wrong car door and the driver being a decent person. Probably 95% of guys would have explained to her she made a mistake and there's another percentage that would have even gone out of their way to help her out by calling someone or whatever.

It's just stunning to me how sad it is that all of these things came together right at the same time with this result.

Honored Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

We don't have to assume she was impaired.  People in cities do not always have cars and depend on public transportation, taxies and ubers.

True but it's safe to assume that a young woman, leaving a bar at 2am has been drinking.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@kitty60 wrote:

True but it's safe to assume that a young woman, leaving a bar at 2am has been drinking.

@chrystaltree   No it is not safe to assume she was impaired, though.  Not everyone drinks to excess.  It is normal to leave at closing time; and usually last call for drinks happens before closing time anyway.  Last call, people linger over the last drink, closing time.  Usually one hour between.  At least in my college days.

It is also not proven that she had a car but couldn't drive because of being impaired.

Not everyone owns a car at that age; and often city life does not involve driving a car.

Her friends may have been the ones too impaired to drive; and so she took Uber.

Regardless of who was drunk, driving, not driving-it doesn't matter.

She's dead.  The only blame to be assigned is to the person who killed her.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

The thing I find most shocking is the short odds of this happening to begin with. Your Uber leaves because you aren't out there and the worng car you decide to get into is some nut case who wants to kill you. You have a much better chance of opening the wrong car door and the driver being a decent person. Probably 95% of guys would have explained to her she made a mistake and there's another percentage that would have even gone out of their way to help her out by calling someone or whatever.

It's just stunning to me how sad it is that all of these things came together right at the same time with this result.

No one who takes a ride share car should ever be in a situation where they get into the wrong car.  It's totally avoidable.   The way I look at it there was no "all of these things" that had to come together.  There was only ONE thing.  She didn't look at the license plate on the car and match it to the one given to her in the app.  There are several layers of protection with ride share apps but that is the most important one.  That is what guarantees that the passenger is getting into the right car.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No guarantee a taxi is absolutely safer than Uber...you are still getting into a car with a stranger....I had to get a taxi in Manhattan to go to the airport...the guy understood and spoke no English whatsoever and drove like a maniac...I was already nervous about flying but it was no big deal after surviving that taxi ride! Still not interested in Uber...the whole idea creeps me out..guess I’m not cool enough...