Honored Contributor

An equally sad occurrence during the holidays

[ Edited ]

This was shown to me by one of the nurses at my husband's hospital.  I chose to put it in my phone and send it to my email so I could share with my DILs, two of whom are HS teachers.

One of the girls who died is niece of my DH's charge nurse.  I was so saddened to think of the loss but to the, perhaps, carelessness of these three beautiful human beings.  Invincible teens.  She asked me to never forget and I don't think I will.  I concern myself with all the people I see in ICU and then I see something like this and I am even more concerned for lost lives of the young who never got to ICU.

Geneva students killed in Christmas crash

I don't really know the story or anything about it, just that she showed me this and I found it so sad, the loss of these girls.

Three Alabama high school students were killed, and two others injured in a horrific crash on Christmas night.

The victims were students at Geneva High School. The crash happened when their car ran off Westville Avenue into a wooded area. The tragedy was first reported by WTVY in Dothan.

POST SCRIPT:  I have found in the last few hours that one of the grandfathers in this sad situation was a friend of my husband (I think from the military, but not sure as DH is not in a state of physical or mental health to respond properly).  It is a small world after all.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: An equally sad occurrence during the holidays

What a heartbreaking loss of these precious and beautiful girls.  This type of tragedy seems to happen everywhere.  It just sickens you.  I don’t know how their friends and families manage to deal with this.  All you can do is pray for them.  

Honored Contributor

I saw the same picture and read the article earlier this morning on Fox News.  These three girls were all in the front seat and there were more girls in the back.

They might have encountered a deer.  An Investigation is still being done.  This is very sad.  I can't imagine what their families are going through.

Trusted Contributor

That is so sad. I have heard so many sad stories that happened this week.

I have a teen taking drivers training right now.  While he is very responsible it scares me to death for him to actually be able to drive a car on his own or be in a car with other teens driving.

Esteemed Contributor

What a tragedy!   So sad!!! Prayers being sent for the families.  

Honored Contributor

Name,

I read about this horrific loss yesterday and it deeply saddened me.  To lose such active and vital young ladies who offered so much, at such a young age, to their community is heart-wrenching.  They were involved in many activities that revealed their leadership potential in the adult world.

Condolences to their family and friends.  Triple sorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

That is so sad. I have heard so many sad stories that happened this week.

I have a teen taking drivers training right now.  While he is very responsible it scares me to death for him to actually be able to drive a car on his own or be in a car with other teens driving.

The only advice I can give you is to set very strict rules.  Our kids had to be 17 before they could drive.  They had to pay for their insurance.  Never had their own cars in high school.  Had to borrow a family car.  For quite a while, they had to drive solo, no friends allowed.  Not allowed to be a passenger in a car with a new driver.  Had to take the school bus to and from school.  New drivers are very easily distracted and many don’t adjust their driving to weather conditions.  I bucked the tide, and no, my kids envied others who didn’t have such rules.  By the grace of God, they survived without incident.  There is no perfect formula, but I knew I had to try.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found that my mother had been allowing 2 of our children to drive since they were young, about 12-13-14.  My husband had been allowing the youngest to change gears and steer since he was 6.  One was not so brave but could do well with Go-Kart, so when he got his license, I made him drive in the busiest part of Atlanta on a Friday afternoon, just after getting his license (with me in the passenger seat).   We did that for 4-5 weeks in a row.  Then I forced him to drive a straight stick up a steep incline while I sat beside him.  Our youngest who had been clutching and steering for 10 years was forced to drive in downtown Atlanta on Christmas Eve with me in the passenger seat and I made him drive to an Auburn-Georgia game and park in the parking area when we were tailgating on our recreational vehicle.  I think it helped them to make the decisions with the right passenger in tow to assist.  They may have wrecks, they may have accidents, things occur but I felt I was doing the right thing for them at the time.  They are all pretty careful drivers.  I am going to back off and knock on wood.  

Honored Contributor

Many teen car accidents occur when there are many kids in the car.  A new teen driver in PA can only have one under the age non-family member in the car with them at a time.  After six months, they are allowed up to three non-family members under age 18.

More than a few years ago, a teen was killed within walking distance from my home.  He was a passenger in the car with a brand new driver and a few other boys.  The young man was driving too fast, slid in the snow and hit a tree.  No one had injuries except the one who died and he was killed immediately.  His father was a friend of my brother.  The family is still mourning and have never gotten over it.

I am sure this type of story is repeated far too often, especially with inexperienced teen drivers.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Many teen car accidents occur when there are many kids in the car.  A new teen driver in PA can only have one under the age non-family member in the car with them at a time.  After six months, they are allowed up to three non-family members under age 18.

More than a few years ago, a teen was killed within walking distance from my home.  He was a passenger in the car with a brand new driver and a few other boys.  The young man was driving too fast, slid in the snow and hit a tree.  No one had injuries except the one who died and he was killed immediately.  His father was a friend of my brother.  The family is still mourning and have never gotten over it.

I am sure this type of story is repeated far too often, especially with inexperienced teen drivers.

@Carmie Michigan has the same policy.  Once they are 17 they have a full unrestricted license.  New drivers in Michigan also are not allowed after 10PM unless driving home from work (don't know how the police are supposed to monitor but really its the parents).