Re: An election day story - non political

Wouldn't happen today.

Honored Contributor

DREADFUL!  

So sorry!

Honored Contributor

My first husband beat me up, and threw me out, because I refused to vote for "his" candidate.    I got a divorce.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I had to go before the local election judge in 1980 to be able to vote when my county's board of elections decided I wasn't eligible to vote because I hadn't voted in the first four elections (primaries, school board, and general) after registering. The judge had to inform them the law was four years, not four elections. They resisted until he threatened to send deputies to arrest the lot of them for contempt of court. They finally relented.

If you're given trouble and you think you're in the right, take it to the court. That's why the courts are there. Voter suppression takes place on both sides and if someone's trying to silence your vote, go to the courts and make your voice be heard.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Great story, @I am still oxox -- she was definitely determined, wasn't she?

I remember back in the day when my state had those horrible voting machines.  The lever got stuck on me (and I'm sure other voters too) more than once and I never knew if my votes went through or not.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I have voted in every single November election since I was eligible to vote. In 1968, when I was 21, that was the year of eligibility. Now it's 18, so I tell my grandchildren who are over 18 that they must vote...and they do. When we think of all that happened in our history to gain the vote, e.g., women, we owe it to our ancestors to exercise the right that so many struggled for us to obtain.

Respected Contributor

When DH & I got married, we moved to a very rural area...still there 45 years later. Anyway, our 1st election we went to our polling place (an elementary school)  and were handed paper ballots. There were only 2 booths set up and the lines were fairly long, so most of us sat at the school's cafeteria tables and marked our ballots! We had machines the next year, and lots of booths, so that first experience was very memorable. It sure was a lot faster, because you didn't have to wait for anyone else to finish!

Honored Contributor

Several years ago, I was feeling very strongly about the current election, and, though busy, was determined to run over and vote.   Well, it was pouring rain ... worst rainfall in years, and I drove around for more than an hour trying to find a parking space.    Couldn't find one that wasn't many blocks away.   I was determined, but finally gave up and went home.   I couldn't believe I couldn't get a parking space ...   and later read there were many, many complaints about that location's lack of parking.   

Well, lesson learned ....  from that time on, I ALWAYS vote by mail in ballot.   I've had it with polling places and lines and parking spaces ....  my ballot is mailed no later than one week before the election.

Works for me.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

My Mom was an amazing woman and so was her mom, my Grandma went to school to learn English so she could speak to my Moms and her siblings teachers

@tototwo wrote:

Great story, @I am still oxox -- she was definitely determined, wasn't she?

I remember back in the day when my state had those horrible voting machines.  The lever got stuck on me (and I'm sure other voters too) more than once and I never knew if my votes went through or not.    

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox     Good for your mom!  That's so awesome that she did not let that go! And what a powerful and beautiful memory you have of your mom! Thanks for sharing this.