Respected Contributor

Re: An article on QVC, front page of NYTimes online!

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

QVC should probably suspend programming. It requires a lot of people congregating to make the live show run.

@JJsMom    They've reduced it to the point where it's minimal and they can easily stay 6ft or more from others.  I see no reason to suspend operations.  They're performing a service.

What service is that? A sales pitch? It's ridiculous. You can call or order online at any time.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@JJsMomI'm actually more concerned about the warehouse workers and those handling the deliveries than I am about the onair crews.  It looks as if they've done a pretty good job with the onair part.

As for the rest, we have no idea.  In fact, because we have so little idea, I'm not comfortable buying very much although I have grocery shopped twice in the last 2 weeks - I doubt those workers are anywhere nearly as exhausted nor working in as dangerous a place as our healthcare workers are, but still -  and yes, I know I'm judging here.

I agree that it's probably more dangerous in the warehouses. My point is live TV sales pitches should not be classified as an essential service.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Interesting that six people can pull off a live tv presentation. Cost savings too.

------------

That is what I had thought too!!  Maybe rethink programming and  number of staff needed. 

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

QVC should probably suspend programming. It requires a lot of people congregating to make the live show run.

@JJsMom    They've reduced it to the point where it's minimal and they can easily stay 6ft or more from others.  I see no reason to suspend operations.  They're performing a service.

What service is that? A sales pitch? It's ridiculous. You can call or order online at any time.

Woman Mad I don't want my tv taken away, please? None of the stations I watch, except for occasional news, are essential.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Woman Mad I don't want my tv taken away, please? None of the stations I watch, except for occasional news, are essential.

I'm not talking about all TV programs, just QVC's live programming. I don't think it's essential. The other shows you are watching are recorded. News is obviously essential.

Esteemed Contributor

Whoever wrote that piece apparently didn't do any research here in the Q forums.  If they did, the title would probably have been Quarantine, Vaccines, and C (name of a politician) since that's what's often been discussed here the past few weeks.  😂

In reference to "essential service," IMO every business is essential.  Just ask the family who depends on that business for a paycheck, and they'll tell you how essential.  Last week I was surprised to learn that the contacts and glasses that I paid for a few weeks ago can't be picked up because someone has decided that a vision center is not an essential service, so it's closed unitl who knows when.  I keep calling to see if they'll just mail them to me, but no one answers or returns the voicemail messages I've left.  Yet, in other news, I keep getting emails from the tanning place letting me know that they've got shortened hours, but they're staying open if I want to get a spray tan or lie in the tanning beds.  Ridiculous.  I can't get my new glasses, but I can get a tan.  I look forward to the day all of the stores open again.  

Honored Contributor

I didn't say anything about necessity. You are merely dodging my comment to you that you couldn't know whether people at QVC were congregating.

@JJsMom
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Interesting that six people can pull off a live tv presentation. Cost savings too.

I'm wondering how many "Powers That Be" are realizing how they can continue to do business with less people. 

A few years ago, a principal mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised if we needed fewer teachers in the future due to so many online platforms emerging.  We're starting to see that come into play now in my area.  Last week we were given a "fluff" schedule of activities to give the students for online learning that honestly required no brain power or effort on the school's end or the student's end.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are people behind the scenes actually talking about how to move into this format in the future.  So far, area kids love being out of school with online learning because they're seeing they can get everything done in one day or a few hours and have the rest of the week to do what they want.  (We have restrictions about how much work to give them each week, so it really is an easier schedule.)