Honored Contributor

Re: An article on QVC, front page of NYTimes online!

@JJsMom. Since I doubt you are inside QVC how do you know they are "congregating?"
I think QVC is savvy enough and has enough legal advice to follow the recommended guidelines for social distancing.

I see no reason that QVC shouldn't keep broadcasting.
Super Contributor

I don’t believe the problem is with the broadcast, but with the warehouse shipping  out the stuff. While Amazon and Walmart and grocery stores are shipping and using warehouses and asking their workers to work, they are shipping essential items. QVC, not so much. They will have a much more difficult time claiming they provide essential services. 

Honored Contributor

@carlycat...they sell food...😄
Where I live any place selling food is considered essential even where it's a pretty minimal percentage of whatever other stuff the business is selling.
Esteemed Contributor

Gov. Wolf of PA has deemed all broadcast media in the state as essential businesses.

Honored Contributor

Shoppers are not exactly congregating there like at the toilet paper aisle at Target.  It's a harmless diversion where people can shop with no contact or danger.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

QVC should probably suspend programming. It requires a lot of people congregating to make the live show run.

@JJsMom    They've reduced it to the point where it's minimal and they can easily stay 6ft or more from others.  I see no reason to suspend operations.  They're performing a service.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

There ya go then. It's OK for Q to broadcast 👍.
Thanks @queendiva.
Honored Contributor

@JJsMomI'm actually more concerned about the warehouse workers and those handling the deliveries than I am about the onair crews.  It looks as if they've done a pretty good job with the onair part.

As for the rest, we have no idea.  In fact, because we have so little idea, I'm not comfortable buying very much although I have grocery shopped twice in the last 2 weeks - I doubt those workers are anywhere nearly as exhausted nor working in as dangerous a place as our healthcare workers are, but still -  and yes, I know I'm judging here.

Respected Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

I don’t believe the problem is with the broadcast, but with the warehouse shipping  out the stuff. While Amazon and Walmart and grocery stores are shipping and using warehouses and asking their workers to work, they are shipping essential items. QVC, not so much. They will have a much more difficult time claiming they provide essential services. 

I don't think of a kitchen cart as essential, or shopping bags or books or DVDs or tote bags or Sharpies or hooks, but Amazon has processed my orders for all those thing recently. There is no distinction I see being made between one type of item or another.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@JJsMom. Since I doubt you are inside QVC how do you know they are "congregating?"
I think QVC is savvy enough and has enough legal advice to follow the recommended guidelines for social distancing.

I see no reason that QVC shouldn't keep broadcasting.

Why is broadcasting a live show in their studio necessary? They are putting people at risk. People can order online. Everyone is being told to shelter in place but somehow asking someone to come in and model a sweater is now an essential job? Give me a break.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu