Honored Contributor

Re: An amusing story about affording

Trinity: Thank you for the compliment. You are blessed.

Honored Contributor

I do not find that amusing and I don't care how long ago it was.  It's a horrible story that shows the worst of this country.  I'd have taken out a $20 and tossed it on the floor and left with  "here, take this for your sevices!".  I certainly not have stayed!  

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

In most cases they would have,but this was in the days when restaurants were few and far between and they were really hungry. No take out,either.

It takes 30 days to starve to death so they could have made it home alive.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could relate many, many stories similar to the one posted by the OP. I find it exceedingly sad, rather than funny. 

Personally, I was on the recieving end of this treatment several years ago. I decided I was going to buy a Mazda Miata for a fun, summer car. Off I went to the local Mazda dealer on a Saturday morning, checkbook in hand, to buy a Miata. They took one look at my jeans and sweatshirt and decided I wasn't worthy of their time. I went down the road to the BMW dealership where I was treated wonderfully. 4 days later, I drove off in my new Z3. I really, really wanted to go back to the Mazda dealership, dressed in one of the suits I wore to work every day and pull a "Pretty Woman" on them, but I decided they weren't worth my time. I've been loyal to both the BMW brand and the dealership ever since and it's been a terrific relationship. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I could relate many, many stories similar to the one posted by the OP. I find it exceedingly sad, rather than funny. 

Personally, I was on the recieving end of this treatment several years ago. I decided I was going to buy a Mazda Miata for a fun, summer car. Off I went to the local Mazda dealer on a Saturday morning, checkbook in hand, to buy a Miata. They took one look at my jeans and sweatshirt and decided I wasn't worthy of their time. I went down the road to the BMW dealership where I was treated wonderfully. 4 days later, I drove off in my new Z3. I really, really wanted to go back to the Mazda dealership, dressed in one of the suits I wore to work every day and pull a "Pretty Woman" on them, but I decided they weren't worth my time. I've been loyal to both the BMW brand and the dealership ever since and it's been a terrific relationship. 

For real?  For crying out loud this is how most people dress anymore.  What did they expect you to wear, your cocktail dress? When I shop I dress comfortably, hoodies, t-shirts, flip flops etc. and I see that so do most people.

Respected Contributor

I am continually amazed at what people unintentionally show about their characters.  Prejudices and biases exist in all shapes and forms.  As an innate method of self-protection, it is ingrained in each of us to judge, size-up literally at first glance, by using a myriad of criteria.  What any of us does with our determinations is what we show the world about ourselves.

Your signature line, @Group 5 minus 1 , is a fair example.  I’ve frequently read it, smiled and thought to myself, “Me, too,” but I would not presume to correct an error.  Times have changed, of course, but not so long ago books such as Dress for Success, Clothes Make the Man, or Look Like the Leader You Are explained and supported the importance of public dress and demeanor.   More recently, remember the popular the T.V. show, What Not to Wear?   Careers and fortunes have been built on these standards.  Just ask any QVC designer or host. 

Each of us has an Emotional I.Q., and the strength — or weakness — of it within us makes all the difference in our lives.  As we well know, having judgmental arrows shot at us is upsetting; however, there is a right, therefore an equally wrong, way to handle poor treatment.  Feeling vindicated by reacting to rudeness in like manner, assuaging ruffled feathers with a public display, getting even, only goes to show who and what we are.  “I see your true colors.” 
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut Great story. And hopefully the 'released' salesmen learned and became even better salesmen. We can hope! Kudos to the manager. He knew his business.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

In most cases they would have,but this was in the days when restaurants were few and far between and they were really hungry. No take out,either.

It takes 30 days to starve to death so they could have made it home alive.   

I'm sure they would have, but this was also obviously in the days when people were more inclined to laugh at such rudeness and not "bite off their noses to spite their faces" and go off in a righteous huff.

If they were hungry and tired, they simply wanted to eat, rest and then be on their way.  What would it have served them to do without food and a break; maybe some much needed caffeine?  No one knows whether they left a tip or not!  And who knows (since none of us was there) whether the restaurant owner had been burned before by people leaving without paying?  It can be very difficult keeping a small business afloat.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1- This takes me right back to the year I was about to enter my sophomore year of college.  A friend and I went shopping at a very nice department store, as I wanted to get a new wardrobe.

I was totally ignored by two "elderly" saleswomen (not waiting on anyone else), while a young clerk was helping another customer.  My friend and I browsed around for quite a while, as the young clerk signalled she'd be with us as soon as possible, shooting a look to the other two.

Eventually, she came over and asked if she could help, apologizing for the wait.  At which point, my friend and I gathered up a LOT of things and I said "Yes, I want all of these."  We piled things on the counter.  Blouses, sweaters, pants.  I knew they earned commission and I was very pleased to see the shocked look on the other women's faces as I paid for everything.

I made a point of saying to the nice cashier "You get commission, don't you?"  She said yes and I said "GOOD!"  She deserved it.