Respected Contributor

Re: An amusing story about affording

DH tells me a story about when he lived in Salt Lake City and entered a high end antique store at a mall.  He wasn't your typical SLC resident, looked more like San Fransisico 1960s, an error re financial means.  DH asked about the price of a vase and was told "more than you can afford".  He left to visit another antique store in the same mall, found the same vase plus another item, paid, walked them back to the first store and showed the stuffy clerk that he got a better deal on the vase and paid more than his asking price for the two items combined.

Because he didn't fit into the accepted SLC look, he ran into that attitude occasionally.  He'd hand a snotty clerk his credit card, ask them to check his limit, watch their expression, then say "Thanks!" and walk way.

Valued Contributor

Oh, here's another one.  For the last 3 years we have rented housing.  I had our payment account all set up.  The second year in, I stopped getting emails to make our payments.  The new property manager changed it to my husbands email.  I changed it back to mine.  They changed it back to his.  We finally are out of that house and guess who got the final bill to their email.

I asked them why they changed everything they said, the head of house is always the primary renter.  We are still laughing.

Occasional Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

A friend of ours tells this story about her father .

Years  and I mean years ago he and an employee had been to a farm sale (equipment). This was in the days before computers,etc. Going home from the sale they were very hungry and decided they would stop at the next restaurant no matter what.

They did and it was a nice restaurant. While waiting to be seated were told they would have to pay in advance because they looked kinda scuzzy (my word). Both men were tired and very hungry -my friends Dad pulled out a hugh wad of cash and asked if that would be enough for a meal. It was.

Unfortunately, there are many people who eat and walk out without paying their bills.There is no way to know who can and will pay and those who will walk on you.

The best practice for any eatery is to take the order, take the payment up front, serve the food.That solves the problem for everybody.Even at that, the owner can easily get stuck with fake money the bank will not take, hence, many now require a credit card that shows your ability to pay immediately.This happens frequently.Being a business owner has always been difficult and it's even worse these days and likely to get worse.This is merely a perspective from the other side of the proverbial coin.

I am silently correctlng your spelling errors and your grammar, (huge is not spelled hugh) Do you understand how offensive your little comment is at the bottom of your posts?We can all correct each other or we can try and understand what they're trying to convey in their message.This is not grammar class.It's just an opinion board.Judgment goes in both directions.Judge not lest ye be judged.By the way, "my friends Dad"-possession?friend's Dad, or more than one friend is friends' Dad indicates more than one friend.Your grammar needs work if you propose to be the judge of grammar. God Bless You and have a nice day.

Respected Contributor

The Beverly Hillbillies were like that. They still dressed  like back home. Rope belts and tattered hats. Miss Jane  had to intervene sometimes and some  people were shocked to find out what Jed was really worth,then interested in getting his business.

My Dad never cared about clothing and used to annoy my Mother. As long as clean all  was good.  He felt if people thought you had money then one  couldn't get as good of a deal and  he could barter  better. Never let anyone know what you have he used to say.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake wrote:

I think we're all nodding our heads as we recall similar incidents.

That old saying, you have to wear a suit to ask the bank for a loan -- make it look like you don't need the money.

When I sold my car to my daughter I shopped around for a vehicle. Found what I wanted and stopped in after work to make the purchase, pre-approved loan using my own credit. So insulting. 50ish woman walking in alone. No one jumped up to help. In fact, I asked a sales guy to help me. He said he had to return some calls first. I walked out after 15 minutes. Husband returned with me and told sales guy he missed out on a sale and why. We went to next city and bought car that day. 2014.   

@jeanlake 

Had a similar experience when I went to buy my 1st "brand new car", which was a 1960 T-Bird, the 4 seater type. I was 21 at the time.Went to dealer after work(Midnight to 8am) and was wearing my bib overalls. Walked around the showroom for a least half hour. Salesmen sitting in their offices looking busy, but paying no attention to me.

Finally I went to 1 of the offices and talked with a guy. Turns out he was the sales manager and son-in-law of the owner. Told him I was p'od that nobody would even approach me. He said he would get a salesman(no women selling back then). I asked him if the owner was in and he said yes. Told him I would like to talk with him.

Much to my surprise the owner of this Ford dealership came into the office, the sales manager left, and we sat down and talked. Told him I knew what I wanted to buy and I was ready to order it, for the right price. He wrote up my order and sold it at actual dealers cost.

He let 2 of his salesman go and thanked me for making sure he found out my story. We became good business friends and I ended up also buying my '61/'62/'64/'65 and '67 Fords from him, personally. Since he knew I drag raced only Ford Motor Cars, he sold me all my Ford race car parts for his dealer cost.

Really didn't want anyone fired, but that wasn't up to me. Whenever I came into the dealership and he saw me, he always came out to talk with me about drag racing or Nebraska football.

Moral of my story, it isn't only the ladies that got/get ignored.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

When I was buying my house, I was 27 and I was going to a lot of new construction model homes.  I purposely made sure to dress business casual and not in jeans and sneakers.  None of the agents would talk to me, which was fine as I wasn't interested in all but 2.  I went up to a woman at the front desk at one home and asked a question and she said, before you waste my time, do you have a gift letter from your parents?

I said no and left and bought the other house.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Bet it was in Texas.

Watch the movie 'Giant' you'll know what I mean. LOL

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sue311 wrote:

Most of the people who are really rich and can afford stuff dont dress or drive fancy cars like seen on TV. Its the most unsuspecting ones.

And that's exactly why those people are rich.

@SilleeMee  @sue311  - This is often true.  Being a banker all my life, oftentimes the ones driving the fancy cars are the ones in debt. 

Sure, if your confident in yourself you don't need trappings to make yourself look like something your not.

Warren Buffet is a good example. Tight as a tick he's got it and he's keeping it. LOL

Like my tight husband says "It's not what you make it's what U spend".  ROFL

Honored Contributor

I am changing my sig . The spelling errors are because of hand surgery. Heres a ? aren't you judging me?

The sig is a joke but sometimes the sense of humor gene is absent.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I am changing my sig . The spelling errors are because of hand surgery. Heres a ? aren't you judging me?

The sig is a joke but sometimes the sense of humor gene is absent.

@Group 5 minus 1...anyone who is familiar with your posts would think your signature was a joke. You aren't the type of poster to judge anyone. That is why the written word is so difficult sometimes to get our point across...

I enjoyed reading your thread. It was uplifting and it was the reason I continue to come here. Life is tough enough without having to deal with snark. I hope you are recovering from your hand surgery and thanks again for the nice thread.