Valued Contributor

Re: An amusing story about affording

My son just had a milestone birthday.  I gifted him with a large check.  He went to the bank to open a new account.  He was treated so rudely that not only have they lost my business, but his as well.  To them he was just a young man with a check from mommy.  I have been with this bank for 30 years and will no longer be moving money to that bank.  

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

A friend of ours tells this story about her father .

Years  and I mean years ago he and an employee had been to a farm sale (equipment). This was in the days before computers,etc. Going home from the sale they were very hungry and decided they would stop at the next restaurant no matter what.

They did and it was a nice restaurant. While waiting to be seated were told they would have to pay in advance because they looked kinda scuzzy (my word). Both men were tired and very hungry -my friends Dad pulled out a hugh wad of cash and asked if that would be enough for a meal. It was.

This reminds me of the scene in Pretty Woman where the clerks tell her she should leave  the store and she pulls out the wad of cash and says "see I have money"

Honored Contributor

Millionaire Next Store is a book that changed our lives.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

My son just had a milestone birthday.  I gifted him with a large check.  He went to the bank to open a new account.  He was treated so rudely that not only have they lost my business, but his as well.  To them he was just a young man with a check from mommy.  I have been with this bank for 30 years and will no longer be moving money to that bank.  

?????

This story has lots of holes.

A Bank is just like any other retail establishment.

They will take anyone’s money UNLESS there are issues being presented. 

My guess? There’s much more to this story not being told. 

Regular Contributor

Another thing that came to mind is Warren Buffet who still lives in the same house in Omaha that he bought in 1958 for $31,500.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

?????

Ok, not sure what you looking for,.  She was downright rude and degrading.  When asked where he worked, she got snotty that he had just moved back to town and hadn't secured employment yet.  She had a attitude about his out of state license and out of state car registration. So think whatever you want. 

And no, banks just don't take anyones money.  Try making a cash deposit into someone elses account.

Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

?????

Ok, not sure what you looking for,.  She was downright rude and degrading.  When asked where he worked, she got snotty that he had just moved back to town and hadn't secured employment yet.  She had a attitude about his out of state license and out of state car registration. So think whatever you want. 

And no, banks just don't take anyones money.  Try making a cash deposit into someone elses account.

you can't make a cash deposit into someone account.  sure makes it more difficult for my renters. ugh.  if i go to the bank, they won't let me put cash in my own account without id. ridiculous.  they want a paper trail.  

when buying my last house, a little over a year ago, i had to explain in writing, all cash deposits made during the process. you can imagine my frustration, when making cash deposits at the beginning of the month. (rents paid) which they already knew i had rentals. grrrrr

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 

Back in the 1950's into the 1970's when I used to Drag Race around most of the Midwest, I had more than 1 conversation with managers of some restaurants. You race all day in the sun and blowing dust, you don't wear your go-to- church clothes on those, mostly, Sundays.

We looked dirty as I never saw a Drag Strip that had many amenities, some not even a sink. A drinking fountain at the better ones, but mostly sugary and sticky soft drinks to sell.

We would sit down at an open booth or table and most taking orders would pass right by us. The ones that looked like they had on their Sunday best(must have more money than these dirty young'ens) got their service, once their food, before anyone gave as even a long glance.

Now we all had good jobs and money was not an issue for any of us. Drag Racing was not a cheap sport in which to participate if you wanted to be competitive, that is why I quit what I loved, and took up the much cheaper, racing with my feet.

Nobody asked to see our money but it was obvious they were thinking of how we looked. And of course to them, that meant we were dirt poor, I guess. I asked for the managers and told them pretty much what I typed above.

Also that there are many other racers that just might stop by. Mentioned I would mention the name of his restaurant to all my racing associates, and how they would be treated by him and his staff.Those conversations always improved how we were treated. 

I never looked like I stepped out of GQ magazine as that was never/has never, and will never be my choice of dress. As a lifelong blue collar worker who punched a clock, I had no need for suits or ties. I don't even own either to this day. 

I can personally relate to that story and mentioned the years. Suits and ties do not mean more $$$ in their pocket. To me it is only a choice of apparel ones chooses for themselves.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sue311 wrote:

Another thing that came to mind is Warren Buffet who still lives in the same house in Omaha that he bought in 1958 for $31,500.

And he drive old cars.

Respected Contributor

This was my first lesson in selling.

A woman walked up to my cosmetic counter and she looked like she didn’t have any money.

I got what she asked for and was expecting her not to be able to pay or something to go wrong.and she pulled out the biggest wad of cash I have ever seen!

I have also been the recipient of treatment like this and I vowed to never judge by appearances again!❤️