Esteemed Contributor

Re: An amusing story about affording

Three years ago I went to buy a new Honda Civic.DH came along to look at the SUV’s. I picked out the car & options that I wanted & negotiated the price while DH was roaming the lot checking out the SUV’s.

When it came time to sign the contract the car salesman said”we have to get your husband in here to co sign the contract”. I said it’s my car & my money.He said “ sorry honey those are the rules!!”. 

Meanwhile he had someone go out & get DH. When he came in & was told the situation DH laughed.He said “ you obviously don’t know who you’re dealing with. My wife will take her money next door to the equal opportunity cash grabbers”. We then turned & left. The salesman tried to get us to come back but we kept going. We went a mile down the road & I got the same car for $900 less.

Esteemed Contributor

We bought a big ol’ van some years ago. The guy never asked how to title it. I signed the check, so he put my name on the title.  

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Three years ago I went to buy a new Honda Civic.DH came along to look at the SUV’s. I picked out the car & options that I wanted & negotiated the price while DH was roaming the lot checking out the SUV’s.

When it came time to sign the contract the car salesman said”we have to get your husband in here to co sign the contract”. I said it’s my car & my money.He said “ sorry honey those are the rules!!”. 

Meanwhile he had someone go out & get DH. When he came in & was told the situation DH laughed.He said “ you obviously don’t know who you’re dealing with. My wife will take her money next door to the equal opportunity cash grabbers”. We then turned & left. The salesman tried to get us to come back but we kept going. We went a mile down the road & I got the same car for $900 less.

@NicksmomESQ   Wow! Good for you! Smiley Happy

It will be two years next month since I got my Hyundai Elantra.  I had planned on getting a good used car but the salesman was so good (and I really wanted new anyway) that I got a new car.  DH was with me but decided to stay outside for the fresh air (it was a gorgeous day).  Now you might think why would he do that?  He's been a different man since he became chronically ill and really focuses on his health...he wanted fresh air!

So after talking the the car salesman, I said just a minute I'm going to let my husband know what car I'm getting and that it's a new one.  After I went out to see him I told him that he could drive our old car home and I would be taking the new one as soon as they prepped it.  No need for his signature at all! 

It might have been somewhat of an impulse buy but I haven't regretted it plus it felt good to do the negotiations myself!

Honored Contributor

@sue311 wrote:

Most of the people who are really rich and can afford stuff dont dress or drive fancy cars like seen on TV. Its the most unsuspecting ones.

And that's exactly why those people are rich.

Respected Contributor

Remember the scene in Pretty Woman where they snubbed her  and she went back and let them know what they missed by not waiting on her?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dad was a physician.  Back in the early 60's, shortly after he opened his office, an elderly man went to see him.  The man was wearing ragged, old clothes.  At the end of the visit the man pulled out a wad of cash.  My Dad thought this must be all the money the man had and refused to take any payment.  A few days later Dad received a phone call from the man's daughter saying that her Dad was still not feeling better.  Dad asked for the address so that he could make a house call.  The address Dad was given turned out to be a "mansion".  This was before cell phones so Dad looked for the nearest phone booth in order to call the daughter.. he was sure he had the wrong address. Turns out the man was very wealthy.  Proves you can't judge a book by its cover.  At the end of the house call, the man offered Dad to take any one of his valuable antiques to repay him for his kindness.  Dad didn't take anything.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sue311 wrote:

Most of the people who are really rich and can afford stuff dont dress or drive fancy cars like seen on TV. Its the most unsuspecting ones.

And that's exactly why those people are rich.

@SilleeMee  @sue311  - This is often true.  Being a banker all my life, oftentimes the ones driving the fancy cars are the ones in debt. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a little off topic but apropos of some of the responses.  I answered the phone one day and the caller asked to speak to my husband.  I said he wasn't home and asked if I could help.  He said no -- he had to talk to my husband.  I asked who was calling.  It was a broker from a large brokerage house.  I said "Actually -- I am the one who does our investing" -- which was true.  He said "Oh!  Wonderful!!"  I said "Actually it's not -- and I would suggest in the future when making cold calls that you don't insist on talking to the husband."  With that -- I hung up.

Respected Contributor

@sue311 wrote:

Years ago I read "The Millionaire Next Door" that explained all this and IIRC most of the stories were self-made millionaires - none had inherited it.  Most said that they bought the size home needed when they were raising their kids and by the time they were millionaires stayed there bc that home was more than enough once the kids left.  I think all also said that they rarely bought new cars and even when they had money often looked for 2 or 3 year old Mercedes.  

Honored Contributor

Here in DFW, back in the early 80’s, there was A SURGE

of Oil/Land Money.

The Porsche dealership (on Forest Lane, for those who know the area),

was quite popular....Porsches were EVERYWHERE.  

That dealership sold more cars in one day than other dealerships

did the entire year. Again, everyone was buying a Porsche.

The sales team was interviewed why they were so successful...

and they immediately said, ‘We didn’t judge a book by its cover’.  

There were grimy oil wildcatters & land developers who would

come in after payday & pay cash for a car.