Honored Contributor

An amusing story about affording

A friend of ours tells this story about her father .

Years  and I mean years ago he and an employee had been to a farm sale (equipment). This was in the days before computers,etc. Going home from the sale they were very hungry and decided they would stop at the next restaurant no matter what.

They did and it was a nice restaurant. While waiting to be seated were told they would have to pay in advance because they looked kinda scuzzy (my word). Both men were tired and very hungry -my friends Dad pulled out a hugh wad of cash and asked if that would be enough for a meal. It was.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Re: An amusing story about affording

I would have shown them the wad of cash and then left and gone to the next restaurant.  That was so rude.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

In most cases they would have,but this was in the days when restaurants were few and far between and they were really hungry. No take out,either.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1Best not to judge by appearance, huh?

Remember a few years back thre story about the clerk who didn't want to show Oprah a very expensive handbag because she didn't expect O could afford it????

And even on a more local level, I recall the time a colleague of mine went car shopping, most likely knowing him, looking like your farmers.  No salesman came foreward and asked to help him, so he left.  Then he called the owner (same chiurch), told his story and returned and paid cash for his new car -  no commission to any of the sales staff who ignored him!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1Best not to judge by appearance, huh?

Remember a few years back thre story about the clerk who didn't want to show Oprah a very expensive handbag because she didn't expect O could afford it????

And even on a more local level, I recall the time a colleague of mine went car shopping, most likely knowing him, looking like your farmers.  No salesman came foreward and asked to help him, so he left.  Then he called the owner (same chiurch), told his story and returned and paid cash for his new car -  no commission to any of the sales staff who ignored him!

I went to a Toyota dealership one time to look at a Camry.  It was about time for the new ones to come out, and I asked to see the brochure for them showing any changes in design.  The salesman said there weren't any changes and wouldn't show it to me.  He also wouldn't unlock the car so I could sit in it.  We were outside.  I could tell he didn't think I could afford the car.  He asked me to come back with my husband.  I left and went to the Nissan dealership and paid cash for a Maxima--no husband involved.  I wrote the manager of the dealership and told him but got no reply.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The old adage........DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER  sure fits here.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As we are always told don't judge a book by it's cover. I have a story that was told at our Mass yesterday.  We had a visiting Monk from a local monastery give the sermon. He mentioned that one day one of the monks walked into the Basilica and saw someone who looked like he was down and out. The monk asked him if he needed anything maybe some food. The man replied no sir thank you . I am one of the Steelers, It was Troy Polamalu.. 

Regular Contributor

Most of the people who are really rich and can afford stuff dont dress or drive fancy cars like seen on TV. Its the most unsuspecting ones.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

A friend of ours tells this story about her father .

Years  and I mean years ago he and an employee had been to a farm sale (equipment). This was in the days before computers,etc. Going home from the sale they were very hungry and decided they would stop at the next restaurant no matter what.

They did and it was a nice restaurant. While waiting to be seated were told they would have to pay in advance because they looked kinda scuzzy (my word). Both men were tired and very hungry -my friends Dad pulled out a hugh wad of cash and asked if that would be enough for a meal. It was.

I hope he didn't leave a tip. It was so rude to humiliate him and his employee like that. 

Esteemed Contributor

Pre-judging people in any situation...restaurant, jewelry store...is not a good thing. 

Keepin' it real.