Esteemed Contributor

Re: An Unusual Twist in My Day at the Grocery Store

If you hadn't offered to purchase it for her, she probably would have just asked one of her traveling companions.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I think it was nice what you did and it was obvious she was legal, no one thought it was odd that the senior tried to use a badge she was wearing for ID? She thought that was okay? Shrug

In some groceries here which just started selling beer and wine, they need to swipe the license for the transaction to proceed.

Rip away.....

Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

If you hadn't offered to purchase it for her, she probably would have just asked one of her traveling companions.

Maybe, maybe not.

Honored Contributor

It's illegal in my state.

@ciao_bella

Respected Contributor

I don't know if it's legal or illegal in my state. 

The cashier was just doing his/her job. 

Valued Contributor

I agree for the most part. A nice thing to do. But did you do it for her or for you so you could come on the forums and tell us how nice you are? It should be enough that you did a good deed and can savor the memory by yourself. Just my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for putting a smile on a senior's face.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first thing that comes to my mind, is hopefully she doesn't have a medical condition forbidding alcohol or was on meds that she shouldn't drink alcohol with.

The 'senior group' may not have been allowed to take their ID to this grocery store which sells alcohol, to prevent them from being able to buy it.

I'm all about helping people whenever I can, but in the case of a senior (that I know nothing about their health issues/meds) wanting alcohol, I would have stuck with MYOB.

But that's just me and my opinion.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do think this was a nice gesture, there is a reason for tracking alcohol sales in general. The sad fact is some adults do purchase it for kids to party which is a crime. Tracking is a law enforcement tool.

I would rather give to the needy, not someone who can afford trips and wine, no one needs wine.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The first thing that comes to my mind, is hopefully she doesn't have a medical condition fobidding alcohol or was on meds that she shouldn't drink alcohol with.

The 'senior group' may not have been allowed to take their ID to this grocery store which sells alcohol, to prevent them from being able to buy it.

I'm all about helping people whenever I can, but in the case of a senior (that I know nothing about their health issues/meds) wanting alcohol, I would have stuck with MYOB.

But that's just me and my opinion.

I agree. Alcohol is a very slippery slope.