Respected Contributor

An Unusual Twist in My Day at the Grocery Store

Thought I would share the unusual twist in my day at the grocery store.  

I shop at a very large grocery chain which has an attached liquor store attached from the inside.  After doing my gocery shopping for the week, I decided to stop at the liquor store section to purchase a bottle of wine.  While I was there, a group of senior citizens where on a bus trip to the grocery store and one senior lady was attempting to purchase a bottle of sherry in addition to her already purchased groceries..   The cashier (in the liquor section) asked her for ID.  There is a sign posted that says..'everyone is carded'.  

The woman stated she didn't have her ID on her and was attempting to show her senior citizen card that they wear on a ribbon around their neck when traveling on the senior bus.  The cashier said he was sorry but he needed either a driver's license or photo ID.   She was attempting to find the shelf the sherry was on to put it back and it was near where I was standing. 

After listening and watching what happened, I asked her if she still wanted the bottle of sherry.  She said, yes, but the man said she couldn't buy it.  So, true to who I am, I took the bottle of sherry, went to the cashier, took out my driver's license and purchased the sherry.  I then gave it to her, told her it was a gift from me.  She thanked me a dozen times and I told her to have a nice day as she boarded the senior bus.

I know the store must card and I understand that, but I felt sorry for her and so I jumped in.  Some may agree or disagree with my decision, but I did what I felt was right at the time.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: An Unusual Twist in My Day at the Grocery Store

[ Edited ]

I love what you did for that woman!!!  

I work in a grocery store, usually in Customer Service.  Some store chains fire employees if they don't obtain IDs.  So it could have been that woman's sherry or the cashier's job.  In my state, the cashier pays fines if selling alcohol or tobacco to an underaged person.  Fines start at $800.  In many states, once an ID is requested, it has to be shown before the sale.  So there are a number of reasons this may have happened.

I'm not saying this was handled the best.  I'm sure she looked over 21.  The cashier should have called his manager over instead of just saying no.  

Fyi, my parents were IDd at Applebee's when they were 81.  We had a good laugh.

Honored Contributor

In Pennsylvania, the law states you must have Proper ID to purchase alcohol, Not all places card everyone, but our grocery stores all do without exception.  

You did a very nice thing for that lady.  And, you broke no laws.  It is okay to gift sherry to anyone 21 or over.

Super Contributor

If we would just bring back common sense instead of stirring up trouble, we would all live in a better world.

You were so kind to give the sherry to the older lady; Old age is not for sissies, and she probably needed it.

tea

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella, thank you for that kind gesture.  I work with seniors and I can imagine the frustration that she probably felt, but you made her day.  How nice!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bellathat was the nicest and kindest thing to do.I bet you turned that ladies day around and she will be talking about you for a long time.I love ti pass out those random acts of kindness and it makes me feel fantastic to give a stranger a smile in their day.I bet you felt great making her day a little brighter.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand that it's illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under 21. Many places ID everyone to avoid hassles .

However,it's pretty obvious that this elderly woman was well over the age requirement.There are exceptions to every rule.This should have been one of them!!

@ciao_bella You absolutely did the right thing!! I would have done the same!! You obviously made that lady's day!

Esteemed Contributor

TEN GOLD STARS TO YOU!    You and I must be sisters cuz that's what I would have done too.  Laws can be so unreasonable sometimes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella - What a nice thing you did - and I bet it made that lady's day! I would have done the same thing.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella That was a sweet thing to do. Maybe the cashier was afraid that you were a "secret shopper" standing there? Maybe thinking "I wish this other person wasn't standing right there, maybe reporting on how I handle this, & I could just sell the nice lady her sherry." LOL 

You did a nice thing. I hope we all take your generosity & pay it forward!