Esteemed Contributor

Re: An Interesting Company Benefit!

Okay then.

Super Contributor

On 3/19/2015 sunshine45 said:

i wonder if they pay for ""staycations""?

not sure a forced 3 week vacation is such a good idea.....and what happens if you have a large family and that $3000 isnt enough for a vacation for everyone? i guess you have to lose it then.

Exactly. What about your pets while your gone? What about if you have a part time job on the weekend? What about if you care for an elderly family member after work?

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 occasional rain said: Companies would do better to pay their employees well and leave it up to the employees to manage their own lives. Not everyone is happy to spend time in a gym with sweaty, stinky co-workers but if the company is paying then they are also aware of who partakes and who doesn't. I don't want my employer into my personal business, if I vacation, exercise, or what I have for lunch.

You don't HAVE to go to the gym...but if you join and use it 6 days in a month - it's free (along with 3 personal training sessions). If you DON'T go 6 times a month after signing up, they deduct $15 a month from your pay. It's a good deal and a good incentive to stay fit. Or you can decide NOT to join...there is no pressure either way.

You can get a double cheeseburger with fries in the company cafeteria for $6 or a broiled chicken breast sandwich with side salad for $3. Or bring your lunch from home...or eat out and stuff yourself on alfredo pasta - the choice is up to you. One thing they DO - you HAVE to take the full one hour lunch if you are a f/t hourly worker - you can't take 30 minutes or eat at your desk w/o permission. They WANT employees to get a daily break...and come back fresh and ready to work.

Believe it or not, there are employers who believe investing in their employees is GOOD BUSINESS.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 HollyDays said:

i wonder if they pay for "staycations"?

not sure a forced 3 week vacation is such a good idea.....and what happens if you have a large family and that $3000 isnt enough for a vacation for everyone? i guess you have to lose it then.

Exactly. What about your pets while your gone? What about if you have a part time job on the weekend? What about if you care for an elderly family member after work? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

They have to use the $3,000 for vacations...but the vacation away from home isn't mandatory. They can stay home too...just w/o the extra $3,000 to travel. They get 21 days MINIMUM vacation.

I doubt these employees have weekend part time jobs - it's a high paying internet company!

The average vacation time off in Germany is six weeks...and they are the most productive country in Europe. Only in America do people not even take all the vaca days they have coming to them!

Honored Contributor

It isn't 3 weeks forced at one time, the article says employees can take "a few days, or a few weeks..." as long as they take those days to spend time with family and/or friends.

The idea is a simple one – each year, each employee gets up to $3,000 of vacation-related expenses reimbursed. If you don’t take a vacation, the opportunity disappears. Hence, it’s in all of our employees’ great interest to take time to do what they love with friends, family, whomever (we’ll pay their vacation expenses too so long as you go with them) and disconnect for a few days, or a few weeks.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 MJ 12 said:

It isn't 3 weeks forced at one time, the article says employees can take "a few days, or a few weeks..." as long as they take those days to spend time with family and/or friends.

The idea is a simple one – each year, each employee gets up to $3,000 of vacation-related expenses reimbursed. If you don’t take a vacation, the opportunity disappears. Hence, it’s in all of our employees’ great interest to take time to do what they love with friends, family, whomever (we’ll pay their vacation expenses too so long as you go with them) and disconnect for a few days, or a few weeks.

Thanks for the extra info - it sounds like a great place to work.

Only here would people find company perks to be a BAD thing!!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/19/2015 HollyDays said:

i wonder if they pay for "staycations"?

Exactly. What about your pets while your gone? What about if you have a part time job on the weekend? What about if you care for an elderly family member after work? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

They have to use the $3,000 for vacations...but the vacation away from home isn't mandatory. They can stay home too...just w/o the extra $3,000 to travel. They get 21 days MINIMUM vacation.

I doubt these employees have weekend part time jobs - it's a high paying internet company!

The average vacation time off in Germany is six weeks...and they are the most productive country in Europe. Only in America do people not even take all the vaca days they have coming to them!

so if you CAN go away you get the 3000, but if you CANT go away you lose it? i still dont think that is fair.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

However, research shows that simply taking vacation won’t automatically reduce stress. In a recent survey of 1,000 U.S. workers by leadership development and training company Fierce, nearly 60% said taking a vacation doesn’t relieve their stress, and more than a quarter said they’re even more stressed when they return to work. Many admitted to checking emails and taking phone calls while away, sometimes multiple times a day.

Bart Lorang, chief executive of FullContact, which provides cloud-based contact management for individuals and businesses, noticed that his employees were working even when they were on vacation. Instead of coming back recharged, they were fried.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2012/07/31/the-vacation-paradox-why-some-companies-are-pay...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Employee retention is a problem for many companies....salaries are competitive so besides offering more money...what can a company do to hire and retain skilled employees?.....perks that encourage relaxed working envoriments are attractive to employees and and key to reducing workplace stress....employees are happier/get along better/have less sick time/are more productive/etc. Does this work for every type of company?....no! But it does work in companies where creativity is crucial in developement and growth of business models.

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2015 MJ 12 said:
On 3/19/2015 Buck-i-Nana said:

Companies still have to maintain competitive pricing in the marketplace regardless of what perks they provide their employees.

Do you really think they would sell cheaper to you if they don't invest in their employees?

Of course not but don't be logical, not this early.

I know...what was I thinking Cool

In viewpoints, with some folks, it doesn't pay to be logical at any time!