Trusted Contributor

An Idea in case the electricity goes out in the winter

I found this on Pinterest from 1000 LifeHacks.com.  We certainly don't need it now but it might be needed in a few months.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Re: An Idea in case the electricity goes out in the winter

wow, I'd never have thought of that! Thanks!

p.s. Any ideas for a fan?😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I prefer a generator wired to an automatic transfer switch that kicks in and takes over, running as long as it needs to.   I have battery operated candles, flashlights in every room. kerosene lamps, and even a wood stove, but nothing beats a generator.    

Honored Contributor

I've seen this before, and while it will work, it won't give off much heat, and there is the danger of open flames which can be even more dangerous during a power outage, as people are distracted with a number of things going on. 

It would take these all over the house to give off even enough heat to keep pipes from freezing.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband tried this as an experiment about 3 years ago.

It doesn't work.

He said the most it could be used for is a hand-warmer and that it wouldn't even heat a tiny bathroom.  Smiley sad 002.gif

Honored Contributor

We have a whole house generator. It is powered by propane. It is reliable and since we live in the woods and frequently lose power we need it. We can always flush the tolilet because we have a well and a pump.

Esteemed Contributor

My hubs is talking about ultimately getting a Tesla whole-house battery. I don't know anything about them myself but he talks about it.....

Esteemed Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

We have a whole house generator. It is powered by propane. It is reliable and since we live in the woods and frequently lose power we need it. We can always flush the tolilet because we have a well and a pump.

@Group 5 minus 1, do you have any idea how long a 500 gallon tank (400 gallons when full) of propane would last with a whole house generator?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I found this on Pinterest from 1000 LifeHacks.com.  We certainly don't need it now but it might be needed in a few months.

@wismiss ... Very ingenious! I hate to even think about winter, but it's not that far off around here...live in Northern WI. I'll be digging out my Cuddl Duds before long. Smiley Sad

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1

We have a well also, can you tell me more about your pump?  Having one installed to manually get water out of our well has been something I have always been interested in.   Thank you.