Super Contributor

Re: An Experience Today That Gave Me a Scare

@Sooner wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Good thinking and glad you are ok!  Next time, call 911 right off!!!!!!  

I don't know where you are, but where I am, calling 911 from a cell phone gets you connected to Highway Patrol (after being on hold for at least 10 minutes), where you must be transfered to the local 911 for police and sheriff (while being put on hold again).  I would absolutely go to a "John" for help.  Unless someone can call from a landline, go to your plan "b".

Valued Contributor

Gals, thanks for your support. I'm 65 and my best advice is be conscious of your surroundings and folks around you. I walk and/or bike every day at least 2 miles. I never wear headphones/earbuds. I don't text, don't talk on the phone. Sometimes we get too comfortable in our "safe" surroundings. Sadly, predators are everywhere. Be smart and safe my friends.
Esteemed Contributor

Great idea!! Good thinking on your part!! Glad you’re okay!!

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2.   I hope you called the police and grocery store manager to report the menace in that parking lot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624, yes, when I got home I called the store manager. Turns out this guy is no stranger to them. They are working with the police, but he hasn't broken any laws.
Esteemed Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  You can always count on a Harley rider!  They are some of the best men I know.

And women!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
Gals, thanks for your support. I'm 65 and my best advice is be conscious of your surroundings and folks around you. I walk and/or bike every day at least 2 miles. I never wear headphones/earbuds. I don't text, don't talk on the phone. Sometimes we get too comfortable in our "safe" surroundings. Sadly, predators are everywhere. Be smart and safe my friends.

LuLuBelle, I have to hand it to you.  You are one smart lady to think so quickly on your feet in a moment of fear.   I don't know how many of us would have done what you did, I don' know you but I am proud of you. Woman Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, yes, when I got home I called the store manager. Turns out this guy is no stranger to them. They are working with the police, but he hasn't broken any laws.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2    Here, panhandlers are not permitted to be "overly aggressive".  Sounds like your guy was on the verge of crossing that line.  Druggies are so unpredictable, you hate to have any contact with them.  They're scary.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I would think he could be charged with harrassment - I looked up the legal definition:

"Harassment is governed by state laws, which vary by state, but is generally defined as a course of conduct which annoys, threatens, intimidates, alarms, or puts a person in fear of their safety."

The local popo could "relocate" him if they chose --- I wouldn't go there again until he was gone......if you are patronizing a business, the least you can expect is a peaceful exit.

Valued Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

So glad your story had a good ending. I don't know if I would have thought that fast. I agree with you and others here that bikers are a great bunch of people. I have lots of good stories about bikers. Had a neighbor one time who looked like he would rip you apart if you crossed him, but he has a heart of gold. I had surgery several times when I was his neighbor, and he always checked to see if I was doing ok, and would ask if I needed any groceries or anything he could pick up for me.

So happy you are ok.

cookin