Honored Contributor

Re: An Eventful Day At The Grocery Store!

@Cakers3 wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

You are way nicer than me. I would have left that full cart there and announced in a loud voice that her rudeness is totally unacceptable and that she just lost a sale for the store (and say it loud enough so the manager or whoever is in charge hears me!). But that's just me and you are way nicer.

@silkyk   You would have come off as an unhinged customer.  It would have done absolutely no good to have everyone else in the store looking at you and guarantee most would have felt sorry for the cashier.

I would have been concerned watching such anger.

Not to mention leaving the full cart would have accomplished what-you wasting time.

Leaving the store without your groceries, having to now waste more time and gas going to another store and shopping all over again.

Yeah, that'll show 'em. 

@Cakers3 

Very well stated ... and on point!   LOL  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sometimes, I just have to shake my head in wonder.  It's good that you called but come on now, when you were in that store being treated so RUDELY and being condescended to by that clerk you KNEW that you were not required to bag your own groceries or pick up those heavy items on the bottom of the cart.  You knew that.  So, why didn't you just stand there and demand to speak to the manager right then?  At some point, we all have stand up for ourselves in situations like that and I think things like that do happen more often now.  I wouldn't have had to call the store because I would have dealth with it as it happened.

Yes, you WOULD have. Thankfully, many shoppers don't DEMAND.

They handle things in a more appropriate manner. 

Always so much condescension in her posts. Ill tempered and joyless. 

Yes, she seems so bitter, hard to imagine living in such a miserable fashion. She clearly has issues and I can see why she works from home. I sure couldn't work with someone like her. 

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

You are way nicer than me. I would have left that full cart there and announced in a loud voice that her rudeness is totally unacceptable and that she just lost a sale for the store (and say it loud enough so the manager or whoever is in charge hears me!). But that's just me and you are way nicer.

@silkyk   You would have come off as an unhinged customer.  It would have done absolutely no good to have everyone else in the store looking at you and guarantee most would have felt sorry for the cashier.

I would have been concerned watching such anger.

Not to mention leaving the full cart would have accomplished what-you wasting time.

Leaving the store without your groceries, having to now waste more time and gas going to another store and shopping all over again.

Yeah, that'll show 'em. 

If you want to accept that kind of behavior go ahead. I don't and won't. Yeah..... their bottom line will "show them". You go ahead and give them your money....I refuse to condone bad behavior by anyone. I just take my $$$ elsewhere. Have a nice day!

Esteemed Contributor

If you come across a rude/sarcastic cashier, say (in a pleasant voice) something like......

"I see you're having a bad day -- I hope things get better for you."

That might be enough to make her realize her behavior isn't very professional -- and she might even apologize.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

If you come across a rude/sarcastic cashier, say (in a pleasant voice) something like......

"I see you're having a bad day -- I hope things get better for you."

That might be enough to make her realize her behavior isn't very professional -- and she might even apologize.

@Daisy Sunflower  Agreed.  Sometimes people need only a kind word to talk them off the ledge.

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

I had a second job for a few years at a big chain grocery store.  This is never acceptable from a cashier.  First of all, customers are never "expected" to bag their groceries and cashiers are supposed to do everything to please the customer.  Just an fyi, every front end has a "checkout coach/manager" in charge of the cashiers.  If you notice them, they are who you should complain to or you can or go to customer service desk.  

Respected Contributor

I had a similar checkout experience at Walmart. I put the cold pac on the conveyor first and then the freezer items. The cashier started using a plastic bag and I asked that he put my items in the Walmart branded cold pac. He could have simply put the plastic bag inside the larger cold pac; instead, he emptied the plastic bag and then would not bag anything. He piled the items on the top of the small center surface area of the bag holder and let stuff start falling everywhere. I was furious. I had people 5 carts deep waiting behind me or I would have walked away. I bagged the order myself. In-store manager just shrugged his shoulders and was of no help when I talked with him. Went home and called the 800 number. Apparently I wasn’t the first complainer. They were both gone within a week. I would not want to be “that customer” but in this case it was too rude to ignore.