Respected Contributor

Re: An Eventful Day At The Grocery Store!

@K9buddy 

@K9buddy wrote:

In the "old" days the cashier would place each item in the bag after they scanned it. Now, they scan everything at once and let the items pile up before they're bagged, hoping the customer will do it for them. Times sure have changed. 

The more I think about what you just posted, the more I feel this cashier might very well do this on purpose so she gets the customers to help do her job!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

As for the scanning and bagging procedures, it seems each checker has his or her own. Some bag as they scan, some don't. Doesn't matter to me as long as they keep all the cold items together and don't overload bags with heavy items.

Several of the stores in my area now seem to be intermittently hiring handicapped workers to do the bagging. It's a nice idea, and yet in many instances the result isn't particularly good and it can be a slow process. Some of the better checkers will interrupt what they're doing to offer guidance to the baggers, which sort of defeats the purpose, but there are some times one just needs to grin and bear it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

You did the right thing.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Yes, and honestly you shouldn't have to explain why you can't bag. It's her job. 
The Walmart, Food Lion and Harris Teeter all have the check outs where the cashier had the bags and items go straight into them after checking so I couldn't bag even if I wanted. 

Snark comes from all age groups, not just young people as this board clearly demonstrates. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sometimes, I just have to shake my head in wonder.  It's good that you called but come on now, when you were in that store being treated so RUDELY and being condescended to by that clerk you KNEW that you were not required to bag your own groceries or pick up those heavy items on the bottom of the cart.  You knew that.  So, why didn't you just stand there and demand to speak to the manager right then?  At some point, we all have stand up for ourselves in situations like that and I think things like that do happen more often now.  I wouldn't have had to call the store because I would have dealth with it as it happened.

Yes, you WOULD have. Thankfully, many shoppers don't DEMAND.

They handle things in a more appropriate manner. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sometimes, I just have to shake my head in wonder.  It's good that you called but come on now, when you were in that store being treated so RUDELY and being condescended to by that clerk you KNEW that you were not required to bag your own groceries or pick up those heavy items on the bottom of the cart.  You knew that.  So, why didn't you just stand there and demand to speak to the manager right then?  At some point, we all have stand up for ourselves in situations like that and I think things like that do happen more often now.  I wouldn't have had to call the store because I would have dealth with it as it happened.

Yes, you WOULD have. Thankfully, many shoppers don't DEMAND.

They handle things in a more appropriate manner. 

Always so much condescension in her posts. Ill tempered and joyless. 

Honored Contributor

One plus to scanning everything first before bagging is that they then should be able to bag with more care. It's probably more important when you're dealing with quite a load of stuff rather than just a few items.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella 

I guess I should be thankful that our main grocery store chain, HEB, the cashiers and baggers both bag the groceries and they kind of get irritated if a customer tries to help..

The problem we have though is if you bring your own resuable bags and a special thermal bag for cold items these were purchased from their store they dont pay attention on how they bag....they will put things like cat food and paper towels in the thermal bag and then ice cream and meat in the regular bags...So I make it a point and ask nicely for them to put the cold things in the red thermal bag......

The only problem I had with a rude cashier was that she was chatting with the cashier in another line and not paying attention to what she was doing....she was going to charge me $42.51 for 1/2 pound of sliced turkey from the deli...and I caught her mistake and pointed it out politely and she came back with an ATTITUDE with a capital "A". made a sarcastic remark and rolled her eyes like it was MY fault....and yes I did report her....  But Ive also reported a job well done when an employee is especially helpful.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

You are way nicer than me. I would have left that full cart there and announced in a loud voice that her rudeness is totally unacceptable and that she just lost a sale for the store (and say it loud enough so the manager or whoever is in charge hears me!). But that's just me and you are way nicer.

Yes, I would too have left the cart.  I have very little patience and zero tolerance for rude people these days.  And I've worked in the service industry before and also retail.  It's a good thing you documented your story with management.  Whether they do anything or not to this worker, at least you voiced your incident.  Many stores (not all but many) really do worry about customer service especially nowadays with social media.  I know the store i worked in years ago hired a service that would send secret shoppers into our store.  They would be dressed as regular customers.  You never knew what day or time they would be there. They did this often too.  The secret shopper would check your appearance, how you spoke to them, your abilitiy to know the merchandise displayed in the store and how pleasant you were. These secret shoppers were so good I never guessed when they visited.  It did make you stop and think as an employee even if you were having a bad day.  The corporate office would get a report on you and then your manager would be notified. If you got super high marks, management would know and you would get a gift card or something.  As far as this employee, I have a feeling she is like this often and should get in a different line of work far away from customer serivce.

Esteemed Contributor

The minute the cashier made the bag comment I would have said no, don't expect you to bag anything, but you ma wish to put this stuff back, then would have walked out.

She would have thought I was a #itch, but I bet she wouldn't have treated another customer in that manner.  (I'm sure it would have been awkward explaining to the manager why a customer who spent time shopping, sudddenly walked out without her groceries.  And, her customer service approach would have been monitored.)