Respected Contributor

Re: An Eventful Day At The Grocery Store!

I would definately call.  Make sure you have the reciept in front of you so they can trace it back to the right cashier.

I have to admit, when she said "So I guess I'm doing the bagging", I probably would have said something like "Since of the two of us, you are the one getting paid, I would say you guessed right".

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't know what I'd do, I've never had that happen where the cashiers bag the goods. I once had a cashier at Walmart say she was dealing with a bad hip in casual conversation, but she didn't use it as an excuse not to do her job. I think it might just be the cashier you dealt with just has that type of personality. I know they don't get paid much and it's a lousy job so as long as she got someone to lift the water for you, I would just let it go. I would not be able to sleep if I was the cause of anyone losing their job over something like that. Now that you know what she's like just don't get in her check out line.

@blackhole99 @ciao_bella I hope she wouldn’t lose her job over this, unless it’s a pattern of behavior.  Of course that will be up to her boss.  Maybe she was just having a bad day, caused by her bad back. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Suffering in silence is no longer my style.

I would have gotten her name (at my store cashiers are required to wear name tags) and asked to have a manager meet me at her register. I would have made the complaint in her presence, right after the occurrence, with the manager present.

Maybe too confrontational for some, but I am no shrinking violet. 

I think to complain about a nasty, surly cashier is best and most effectively done on site and immediately following the behavior.

I find too many cashiers wait for me to do the bagging. I actually thank those who do their job and bag for me.

Honored Contributor

You truthfully reported how you were treated. It is up to her supervisor to sort it out. You did nothing wrong, she did. If it is a pattern, the store needs to know. If she is going through a bad time ,she can explain herself, to them. It is not your fault

Honored Contributor

I handle things on the spot. I can no longer lift anything and although I used to bag everything, I cannot anymore. I express to the cashier how sorry I am. 

I do not report people. I couldn’t sleep nights thinking someone might be fired cause of my reporting them...

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda  I would say the woman was maybe in her 50s.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Travone wrote:

I would definately call.  Make sure you have the reciept in front of you so they can trace it back to the right cashier.

I have to admit, when she said "So I guess I'm doing the bagging", I probably would have said something like "Since of the two of us, you are the one getting paid, I would say you guessed right".

@Travone  I might say that if I was looking for an argument. Otherwise I would say, “if you don’t mind. I usually do, but today I’m unable to ...” and add whatever reason you want to share...or not. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

She doesn't deserve her job and if she's fired, someone more deserving will be hired. 

I don't make public scenes. When one does, it makes them look as bad as the offender.

I would email both the store manager and corporate including the information from my receipt, time, transaction number, and employee.

Consider if it were your business, wouldn't you want to know?

Esteemed Contributor

I would have gone directly to the courtesy counter and ask for a manager to explain the situation.  Next day becomes a she said/she said discussion.  I do that for employees that give outstanding service too.

Respected Contributor

Yes.