Respected Contributor

Re: An Addendum to “This has GOT to be a scam”.

@Sage04 

Oh my, a great suggestion is to go to a certified public accountant.

No one is judging her, we are all trying to look for her since what she is telling us doesn't make sense. 

Pay $2900 and get $2100 back....something is wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Last Wednesday, September 1st, I received a refund from the IRS and I came on here stating that it had to be a scam.  I thought it was a scam because I paid them and additional $2900 in April that one of those online tax services said I owed.  I'm married, filing separately.  Since I retired in 2015, I've had to pay higher amounts each year.  Even when I was going to a tax preparer in person it's been high, just not quite as high.

Anyway, I was always angry about paying so much but knowing I had to itemize with nothing to itemize is what I was angry about.

Today, I got 'the letter' from the IRS saying that I overpaid by $2100+.  Shocked but happy but still skeptical.  If I overpaid for 2020, I must have over paid for 2019.  My finances haven't changed since I had to draw on my annuity funds at age. 70.  I had to pay tax on that.

I may call them at the number on the letter for further clarification because this is still not making sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yes!!! Now you can go shopping.

IRS can't multitask. One thing at a time. 2019 will come in 2022.

Hahahaha!  @Sage04 

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@Sage04    Wow you must have got up on the wrong side of the bed. I didn't assume that Mmsfoxxie doesn't know what she is doing. I was responding to her statement that she overpaid her taxes by $2100 and that she has to itemize when she has nothing to itemize and  she thinks that she might have overpaid in 2019. If she is using a tax preparer something is wrong. But it sounds like she is not using a tax preparer. So yes I tend to think that she may need to get some tax advice from a professional because something is not adding up. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, guys I guess I didn't explain the situation well.  $2900 is not ALL I paid in taxes.  That was the additional money I paid.  What irs is saying is that I didn't owe an additional $2900, I owed about $800 above what was given them through the year.

In 2020, I was scheduled to have taxes done by a private tax preparer in April of 2020.  It was cancelled due to everything being closed so I did it through an online tax prep.  In April 2021, I did the same thing.  Next year, I hope I can get an appointment with an in person service but who knows as of today.  

PS..if you are married and don't want to file with your spouse who itemizes, you have to file 'married, filing separately'.  Even if you have nothing to itemize.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Sage04    Wow you must have got up on the wrong side of the bed. I didn't assume that Mmsfoxxie doesn't know what she is doing. I was responding to her statement that she overpaid her taxes by $2100 and that she has to itemize when she has nothing to itemize and  she thinks that she might have overpaid in 2019. If she is using a tax preparer something is wrong. But it sounds like she is not using a tax preparer. So yes I tend to think that she may need to get some tax advice from a professional because something is not adding up.

@50Mickey 

Haven't heard that phrase in years "getting up on the wrong side of the bed". That's funny.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

I like your Happy Cat, he looks a lot like mine. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Porcelain 

I like your Happy Cat, he looks a lot like mine. 

You must be super lucky!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like you need to use someone different to file your taxes. If you are married it is probably best to file jointly. I am not tax expert, but after I retired I was having to pay thousands every April until we changed and filed jointly. Talk to a cpa. It will be worth the money you pay them.