Honored Contributor

Re: Amtrak Derailment Outside of Seattle, Washington

[ Edited ]

I have ridden the Amtrak train to Portland but not the high speed one for a day of no sales tax shopping and a nice lunch.  

Honored Contributor

I was only listening with 1/2 an ear to CNN, but someone was saying there was a little bit of a kerfuffle with this new route. This route/train didn’t really have everyone’s approval with the safety.  Having old trains just go faster causing concern.

Did anyone hear that?

Honored Contributor

Not to argue, honest, but officials will not confirm the number of casualties. At least 70 have been taken to hospitals, don't know the condition of any of these poor souls. This is just so sad Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

This is local news for me, as I live in a neighboring county. I have ridden on the Amtrak to Seattle twice and down to Portland once. This is just such heartbreaking! Even though there have been fatalities, it is a miracle that there are not more reported at this time. My sis and bro in law are coming home from eastern wa and had to be rerouted because of this, so I'm thankful they are safe. My prayers are with those who are grieving.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I was only listening with 1/2 an ear to CNN, but someone was saying there was a little bit of a kerfuffle with this new route. This route/train didn’t really have everyone’s approval with the safety.  Having old trains just go faster causing concern.

Did anyone hear that?

Yes @sidsmom I have heard this twice today.  Both times on MSNBC, once when they first started broadcasting live and then about a half hour ago with Ali Velshi.  The gentlemen is a mayor from a town in the area and it sounds like there was a lot of resentment and bewilderment about this as they spent 100 million and it only cut 10 minutes off of the trip.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2@momtochloe@KitTkat@Love my grandkids@sidsmom

Did you hear that the positive track control was not engaged?

Last year the horrible derailment in Philly...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Ten minutes shaved off of a trip from Seattle to Portland is not impressive.   

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 I did hear them talking about that Positive Track Control but to be honest I walked in around the middle of the conversation so I wasn't exactly following what they were explaining.  Hopefully we'll hear more soon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found this article...posted 4 days ago...confirming the fact some are questioning it.  It has a little bit of lawmaker double-speak. 

It did say it would shave off 20 minutes..maybe in TrainLand that’s significant...?

4ECBF488-F40D-4E73-B479-F32AB51137FA.jpeg

1B9F7D16-7535-4F9A-8660-19FFD182D846.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

Ten minutes shaved off of a trip from Seattle to Portland is not impressive.   

@tansy

Particularly not  with a price tag of 100 million.