Honored Contributor

Re: Amtrak Derailment Outside of Seattle, Washington

@QueenDanceALot@Plaid Pants2@momtochloe

I am going according to what I heard awhile ago on CNN ... they reporter said that the president of NTSB was “badgered” and under pressure finally admitted that “yes” the failure of the AMTRAK train was due to the fact that the PTC was not engaged.

Although he may have meant that “yes” the PTC was not on and still a final answer would need to wait until after a thorough investigation.

Several theories about groups with other motives are “out there.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

My hubby was a Track Inspector and was at several Derailments before he retired 5 yrs ago.

His opinion... just looking ath the pictures is that the train was going to fast for the curve. He based that on the fact that the track barely looked damaged.

Just an opinion though from an old Railroader.....

Honored Contributor

As usual, politics.

Esteemed Contributor

1.  I don't read anything from anyone who says an article has "double-speak" in it.  Too ridiculous for words!!!

2.  Throwing the word "politics" around already.  Pa-lease, let's allow the federal officials and teams arrive on the scean, evaluate, do their job and write their reports.  Wait for a REAL report, not a REEL report.

Latest report 6 fatalities, more feared.  3 critical, over 11 serious.  Many less seriously injured.

To understand this situation en totum, you need to also understand the dynamic between the the states of Washington and Oregon.  Uber ________.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of high-speed rail.  Unless it's above ground where animals, people, and cars won't be in the way.  Even then, being derailed from a high position isn't safe, either.  Going too fast, no matter what type of transportation, isn't a good idea. Too many obstacles, too many imperfections re:  rail construction, the steel/metal used, etc.   Better to be slow and safe, than sorry.  We're all better off slowing down, and stop rushing around.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative

We’ll see.

ETA.

Of course the word ‘politics’ will be used.

No one was saying a thing about it until 12:41pm today. 

After that, it’s free game.

54466C1B-7F05-45CB-A9AC-DA7F9A22EE7B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Horrible thing--this happened outside of Tacoma, not Seattle, down south. Terrible traffic trying to get to Portland, OR anytime. Hate that trip. A train would be so much easier but what is up with going round a 30 MPH curve at 80!! Lots to figure out. Right now it is raining pigs and chickens, making everything even harder on all those workers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

RIP and sending wishes for complete recoveries to the injured.  .................... Let's all remember to slow down.  Seriously, as a society, I don't think that all of our rushing around is healthy, in the long run.  If we distance ourselves, and look down (from above) on people physically rushing around here, there, and everywhere, it isn't a good picture.  What's wrong with a nice, comfortable, slower train ride? 

EDITED:  Many of us are in an ongoing 'Fight or flight' mode.  Again, not a very good thing, in the long term.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).