Respected Contributor

Re: Amount of $ spent when I work, oh boy!

[ Edited ]

I suggest anyone with "real" jewelry (14K gold, precious and semi-precious stones) look for a jeweler that deals in used or estate jewelry.

Awhile back. my DH was retired and I was still working.  I had picked through my gold (thin chains from the 70's/80's, orphaned earrings & items I never wore). He took them to a local jeweler and I was surprised to see what we got for them.  Evidently they are melted down and recrafted into new items,

I keep telling him we should sell a lot of my remaining jewelry (I, too, was a collector of "sets" - ring, necklace, earrings in every colored stone imaginable) and my retired lifestyle doesn't lend itself to that.   But he says the price of gold keeps going up, so we wait.

PS, I have no kids or grandchildren to leave them to, and my sister and two nieces aren't "into" jewelry.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I was going thru some drawers and found a ton of jewerly I obviously haven't worn or missed.  Michael Dawkins, Honora etc.  I paid a fair amount for some of it.  I have a thing on my BR wall that holds jewerly as well as some stashed other places.  I had DD bring down some of the purses from an armoire upstairs.  It's full of nothing but bags. Don't get me started on clothes.  I worked and wanted to look presentable but I can't believe the amount of money I spent.  Add manicures, hair cutting and coloring and makeup, yikes. I wonder how many thousands I went thru.

I didn't work in a fashion capitol of the US and it was a small law office in a small town.  Yes, my husband told me I looked nice and I got complimented sometimes, but so what.  As long as I didn't look like I rolled out of bed and came to work my boss didn't care what I wore or looked nice. Get the work done so he could get paid.  His corncern was my ability not how much I spent to look nice.

Looking at all this stuff now, knowing I don't give a rat's furry butt about it, I think I needed my head examined.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Your post made me chuckle but boy, so much of it I could relate to!!!  I worked for sooooooo many years and accumulated so much stuff!  Same as you --- clothing, purses, shoes, jewelery, coats, etc.  

People used to comment on my clothing and some would say - if you like it, take a good look at it because you will never see it worn again -- because I had so much! 

I can't even imagine the $$$$$ I spent when I worked and furthermore, I don't want to!!!! Smiley Surprised

After I retired --- I sat back and looked and I was like --- WHAT???  I realized that I would no longer be wearing even a fraction of this stuff any longer.  It took me a good couple of months going through all my things and purging.  I still have way more than I should, but I really put a dent in it.  However, the jewelery --- No --- I can't part with it.  Not yet anyway.  

I do wish I had the money back that I spent on the majority of these things!  I could probably travel all around the world and then some.  Sheesh.  Oh, well!  It seemed important at the time.  

Now, I really do need a whole different wardrobe because I was rarely home before and have hardly anything to wear for just casual wear.  

When I was still working people used to me that had retired, just wait, you will see that your priorities will change and that most of these things will not be important any longer --- and boy were they ever right!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I work part time now but years ago the style of dress was not casual, you were expected to look decent when you went to work....I always looked nice...clothes, jewerly, hair done, etc...I worked with  a mix of women, married, single, with children, without..I was not married, no children....

I dressed up the most.  Even after I married and to this day I never leave the house not done up....I am not ready to give that up and hope that I never do.

I dress more casually now, but always have make up on, earrings and more depending on what I am doing that day

Today, I have yet to shower, I am working in the yard while it is cool out (taking a break right now) but when I am done...I'll hit the shower, put on make up and jewerly, I have a few errands to run.

Honored Contributor

It's just that your lifestyle changed, nothing to beat yourself up over.  Personally, I don't dress for other people, I dress for myself.  I know for a fact that when I worked in the office (I work from my home office now) I dressed better and spent more money on clothes/jewelry/accessories than I actually had to.   Even when our office went business casual, I was buying business wear.  I did it for myself.  It made me happy and confident so the money was well spent.  I donated or tossed out the business clothes that I don't need and will never need but I have all my many bags and ankle boots and tall boots and I wish I hadn't bought so many because I have enough to last for years and now I cannot justify buying more....even if it's something I love. 

Trusted Contributor

You were working in a professional environment, interacting with your lawyers, staff and clients.  You liked to go through your work day well dressed and groomed, and you used your earnings to do it.  I see no reason to have your head examined. 

I was a paralegal for many years. Professonal dress is a code in the industry. Now that I work in a more relaxed environment I dress business casual, emphasis on Casual LOL. It's much more comfortable.

Congratulations on being retired.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t regret a red cent I invested in my appearance, and I spent a lot of them while I worked.  In fact, it worked to my financial gain as, with one particular promotion that caused an uproar among more tenured coworkers, my supervisor candidly told me my looks and demeanor were factors in my being offered it over them.

Edited to correct a grammatical error.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

I agree with you. When I retired last December, one of the first things I did as to start decluttering. I had car loads of work clothes I know I won't wear again, but I donated them to a local women's shelter for helping with job interviews, etc., so that made it an easy decision. Shoes, too, but I kept some of my heels. 

I did go through a time a long time ago when I used to buy lots of jewelry, but don't wear much anymore. Sometimes I still find a jewelry bag with a lot of the old sterling and gemstone rings and bracelets. 

I was worried that moving to a fixed income would be problematic, but I am not finding that to be the case.  If I wanted it, I already bought it, and now I don't need it!

Respected Contributor

I'm enjoying reading this thread! I'll be retiring at the end of 2020 (probably), and I'm already thinking about what I want in my "retirement" wardrobe. I got rid of all my dresses/skirts last year, just wasn't wearing them anymore. I figure as long as I have a couple pair of nice black pants and a few nice tops to wear to church and out, I'll be good!

Respected Contributor

Me too.........So when retirement came along, I have found that wardrobe shopping was much different from work wardrobe shopping. 

I never really had a casual wardrobe while working. On the weekend I still wore a great pair of slacks and sweater. I did have a few jeans when slacks would not be appropriate. Even today, I just  feel so improper in jeans at an airport or nice dining. I can sorta get it if I wear a jacket with jeans.

Shoes: I had sneakers for treadmill but never "going out" so I have sourced casual shoes. I realize now that I don't need the black pair AND the color pair too. 

I'll bet this applies to many of yall too.

Respected Contributor

Nothing wrong with striving to look your best.  You worked in an office, so dressing nice is important.   Bet you looked sharp.