Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amount of $ spent when I work, oh boy!

@Pqfan wrote:

I was adding up just the basics and was stunned at the price! 

Hair,skincare,makeup,clothes,nails,jewelry etc!

I can no longer afford to be a woman.🤣

Isn’tbeing a woman supposed to be free?🤣

I'm a woman - and I've spent very little money thru the many years - and I always look GOOD.

My hair is short & wavy and I go to SuperCuts for haircuts. I color my own hair. I use very little makeup, ie, moisturizer;  Loreal or Maybelline for liquid makeup and powder foundation. I do my own nails. I have lots of casual clothes, shoes, purses and jewelry - which I wear every day.

Esteemed Contributor

It's bad when a new hire says to you after 6/8 weeks, "I haven't seen you in the same outfit twice."

Respected Contributor

Today I went through all my jewelry. All costume jewelry is going. Of course I had more than I thought. It is all going to my sister in law for her friend who sells jewelry on line. 

When I worked casual dress was fine. I would buy something special just because I was back at work. Worked at a Credit Union. Oh my youngest son was fifteen when I went back.

Honored Contributor

I'm raising my hand.  I did the same thing,  But I wasn't working.  It was after my husband died.  

He always wanted me to go out and buy myself some other clothes (I always wore collarless striped shirts and jeans.  Everything was always nice looking, but the same (different colors).  

You know how it is when you have children, you buy them clothes, etc and you're the last to get something for yourself.  They were always dressed perfectly, even down to their underwear matching the color...Ha!

Anyway, after he died I discovered QVC.  I'd always been a 'shopper' but for other people, not myself.  

It was so easy to sit and order things.  I stopped working when my first daughter was born (she just turned 46 years old); so it's not like I needed a lot of clothes.

OMG!  Like many of you (and as mentioned by @CrazyKittyLvr2 , I bought Honora, Michael Dawkins, you name it.  I also loved HSN and especially Victoria Wieck and on and on.

The only thing I do now is go to the Drs and have lunch almost every day with a friend (or friends).  That's pretty much it.

I'm 72 and I feel like, 'been there, done that'.  We traveled extensively when my husband was alive, so I have no interest in doing that ...without him.

My biggest problem is trying to make my daughters understand that a lot of this jewelry (and there's a lot of it) isn't all junk!  

I keep saying all of the 'colored stones' (that's the way 2 of them think about it' are real.  Many are set in gold and/or silver....

The oldest daughter likes really, really nice jewelry like from Tiffany's...that's her speed...that's not me...

Someone said to organize it but there's just too much and I still wear a lot of it.  Sometimes I go out of the house looking like Mr. T (remember him).  I have rings that match the clothes, bracelets, necklaces, just to go to Ruby Tuesday or Red Robin (they're all restaurant chains, not expensive).

Anyway, this thread (and so many other's here demonstrates that the more we're the same, the more we're different.

I've never felt the need to go to a psychiatrist because I talk to everyone (especially strangers).  I can't tell you how many times I'll be talking to a stranger in the store and we'll both be like, "That's me too"!

Thanks for posting because I'm glad I'm not the only person like this.  

So listen to this.  I was watching my favorite TV show (Live PD) about police around the US.  It shows them enforcing the law.

So, they got a call to go to a woman's house because someone had committed theft.

They go there and she'd been having a yard sale.  She had a TRAY of jewelry (mostly rings) and someone had picked up the entire tray (which was quite large) and run off with it.

I didn't see how they caught the person but the policeman brought back the tray with the expensive jewelry.  If memory serves just ONE of the rings was valued at $800!  The ring slots were more than 1/2 filled with some kind of various rings.

My point is she was selling this jewelry at a yard sale.  I have to wonder who in the world would pay $800 for a ring at a yard sale?

I guess she was in the same boat as many of us.  You suddenly realize "What the hay was I thinking".  Ha!

ps, I told my girls when I go they'd better not sell my jewelry at a yard sale or I'll come back and haunt them.  Ha!

Oh!  I almost forgot.  Not very long ago the oldest daughter and her two teenage girls were looking at all of my jewelry.  Daughter says, "You know mom, no one wears pearls anymore".  Humph!  Ha!

Well, some of them are a bit much.  They're Honora in many colors.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

So many of us went through the same phases in life.  Many of us bought way too much stuff.  I know I did.  The important thing is now.  Shoulda, woulda, coulda doesn’t do us much good.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, Like you, I get decked out when I go out.  

Unlike your situation, my DD, DIL, and even my 6 year old GD all love jewelry!  Yeah, even the little toot.  So I have been going through stuff - what do I give away now?  What will be passed down?  And who gets what?  I am also realizing, because of my age, I might not be around when my GD grows up.  What do I want to give her?  I want something special given to her, when she turns 16, when she turns 21, and on her wedding day.  And I want to honor my GS’s wife, as well.  He’s only 11!  

Has as anyone else faced doing this and how was it handled?

Honored Contributor

So many ways to sell those things now and make at least some money back. If you don't want to go the online route there's always the yard sale. Also great to donate professional clothes, jewelry, and handbags to Dress for Success and similar organizations.

I want to have yard sales soon but I have no idea how to go about it. Have never run one before.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Trusted Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Annabellethecat66, Like you, I get decked out when I go out.  

Unlike your situation, my DD, DIL, and even my 6 year old GD all love jewelry!  Yeah, even the little toot.  So I have been going through stuff - what do I give away now?  What will be passed down?  And who gets what?  I am also realizing, because of my age, I might not be around when my GD grows up.  What do I want to give her?  I want something special given to her, when she turns 16, when she turns 21, and on her wedding day.  And I want to honor my GS’s wife, as well.  He’s only 11!  

Has as anyone else faced doing this and how was it handled?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

It's bad when a new hire says to you after 6/8 weeks, "I haven't seen you in the same outfit twice."

I can very well relate!  Even when I was attending school my friends would say you never wear the same outfit twice.  I owe it to my Mom as she was the one doing most of my shopping.  I even had shoes that matched my  outifts and also handbags.  Guess she got me that way and it carried thru out my life; a hard habit to break lol.

Esteemed Contributor

Being a girl is expensive!  But what could be better (at least for me) than putting on an outfit you love and feel  good in and confident.  Now that I am retired my life is more casual but I still enjoy great clothes and have the freedom of wearing whatever I wish and not locked into wearing suits and heels every day.  I'm enjoying being able to wear clothes I love all week instead of just on weekends. I'm enjoying wearing fun clothes I never would be able to wear to work.  Ahhh freedom!