Esteemed Contributor

Amount of $ spent when I work, oh boy!

I was going thru some drawers and found a ton of jewerly I obviously haven't worn or missed.  Michael Dawkins, Honora etc.  I paid a fair amount for some of it.  I have a thing on my BR wall that holds jewerly as well as some stashed other places.  I had DD bring down some of the purses from an armoire upstairs.  It's full of nothing but bags. Don't get me started on clothes.  I worked and wanted to look presentable but I can't believe the amount of money I spent.  Add manicures, hair cutting and coloring and makeup, yikes. I wonder how many thousands I went thru.

I didn't work in a fashion capitol of the US and it was a small law office in a small town.  Yes, my husband told me I looked nice and I got complimented sometimes, but so what.  As long as I didn't look like I rolled out of bed and came to work my boss didn't care what I wore or looked nice. Get the work done so he could get paid.  His corncern was my ability not how much I spent to look nice.

Looking at all this stuff now, knowing I don't give a rat's furry butt about it, I think I needed my head examined.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Amount of $ spent when I work, oh boy!

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I know how you feel.  When I worked at the bank I had to dress nice.  No pants, dresses or suits only, heels no tennis shoes. It was strict but i loved it. Actually broke my heart when I gave away all the clothes.  But jeans everyday are so much better.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It doesn't matter if your boss didn't require you to dress a certain way. What matters is that obviously you enjoyed it and it made you feel good about yourself. We all go through phases in our lives. Our needs, wants and likes change. I use to dress up everyday and now I am retired I love just being casual most of the time. I still do the nails, hair, makeup and pedicures. It just means you are in a different chapter in your life.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I think you'll soon hear the echo of a thousand more of us saying the same thing. I too, wish I hadn't spent so much, but it was fun while it lasted. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was adding up just the basics and was stunned at the price! 

Hair,skincare,makeup,clothes,nails,jewelry etc!

I can no longer afford to be a woman.🤣

Isn’tbeing a woman supposed to be free?🤣

Honored Contributor

Oh, what I spent on early Quacker Factory because I thought it was "cute". Too much Joan River's jewelry because Kathy Levin could sell anything!

Esteemed Contributor

No other secretary in town or in my office dressed up like I did.  A 30 something yr. old I worked with had dress slacks in blk, brow, navy and khaki. Her tops were plain colors and simple. A couple of blazers,  on occasion wore a maxi dress in the summer. She always looked nice and professional.

Looking back I think because I was overweight I felt I had to try harder.  Some people see overweight as lazy and slobbish.  Who knows.

Now it's jeans, just moisturizer and lipstick. I rarely wear jewerly anymore.  I'm not going to doll all up to go to the Dr. or CVS.

Valued Contributor

I retired this past March and am embarassed by the number of trash bags of clothes,jewelry and handbags I sent to Goodwill.  All work related and good quality items.  My sister tried to talk me into taking everything to a consignment shop but the thought of tracking all of it was just too overwhelming.  I still see items I like, but the first thing I ask myself is - do you need it?  I never budgeted or denied myself and now have to.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is another echo.

I always had to have the professional look. Spent, and spent on looking the look. The suits, the jewelry, shoes, and those darn leather handbags.

Wish I could at least send those bags back and get some kind of refund, would not mind paying shipping and handling!

I look at the jewelry and wonder why did I ever buy this stuff. Still, the gold is gold and I do like wearing it but there is only so much you can wear.

Do not miss the heels, would not attempt to walk in them now and those were the first things I got rid of.

Now there is a budget to follow. I wish I had some of that money I spent in the bank instead!

Respected Contributor

I found it freeing when I took early retirement and didn’t have to fuss with clothes anymore. Yes, I spent a lot for career clothes, but what I minded was the time involved. Long ago, I tired of clothes shopping. I always had things tailored, because proper fit is crucial. But now, I can truly relax. This summer, I have been perfectly happy with my crop pants, simple tunics, and espadrilles, boat shoes, or flats (classic loafers or ballet flats). Ah, the ease of it all!