Respected Contributor

Americans clogging toilets with sanitizing wipes

[ Edited ]

This is a summary of a New York Times story that appears in today's Atlanta newspaper. You can access the story online if you are willing to jump thru some hoops.  I'm not.

Many Americans seem to be following recommendations of public health officials to clean and sterilize countertops, doorknobs, faucets and other frequently touched surfaces.

Many are then tossing the disinfectant wipes, paper towels and other paper products into toilets.

The result has been a coast-to-coast surge in backed up sewer lines and overflowing toilets, according to plumbers and public officials, who have pleaded with Americans to spare the nation's pipes from further strain.

Many say the woes besieging the nation's infrastructure have been compounded by lack of toilet paper on store shelves, leading some to use paper towels, napkins or baby wipes instead.

Officials say flushable wipes are not truly flushable.  They might go down the drain, but do not break up like regular toilet paper.

Another bad idea is substituting facial tissue for toilet paper, unless used in small amounts and flushed frequently.

Plumbers say calls are increasing from people working from home and self-quarantining.

Honored Contributor

Re: Americans clogging toilets with sanitizing wipes

Unfortunately I paid a the Rooter guy good money to tell me that, if you get my drift.  Now I don't flush anything but tp.

Honored Contributor

During this shutdown I've learned people have no common sense anymore.

About many things, not just this

Honored Contributor

Apparently along with dismay of all that's going on right now, people forgot how to read.

NOWHERE on these containers does it say okay to flush in your toilet. Certainly mothers with babies who use these already knows you cannot flush these towels.

Flush these things, clog your toilet, and then JUST TRY to find a plumber to show up to fix your toilet. Good luck with that!

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1  <smh> Some people can be so stupid. 🙄

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

If you live in the country with a septic system and  one learns early on what can not be flushed. I only use septic safe TP by Scott. It is thin and scratchy but worth less headaches. I am fortunate to have a supply as  have only used that brand.

By the way, it must be my imagination  but it seems like there are more TP TV commercials especially the Charmin bears. I guess on my mind so notice the frequency or else they are just teasing us!

I can legally burn small amounts of paper in a container  or campfire pit.. Right now I have limited garbage pick up due to the road bans for big trucks on side roads with the frost coming out of the ground.It happens every year. 

They are telling the Snow Birds to delay coming to summer homes and cabins fearing our  small hospitals could not accommodate them if too many are ill.. Our summer population normally triples each year.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD 

Unfortunately, Kimberly-Clark Corp doesn't agree with us.  I'm looking at my Cottonelle Flushable wipes and on the package is a tag that reads "Designed for toilets.  Tested with plumbers."  Ummmm.... NOOOOO!

We don't flush ours and never have.  The results would be costly.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@pommom   This is unfortunate, perhaps the material they use is different from other companies, I don't know. But like you, no way would I flush these.

Many of these are made more like a fabric, not paper like toilet paper or a napkin.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

During this shutdown I've learned people have no common sense anymore.

About many things, not just this

totally

how about just using some cleaner instead 

you don't need a wipe for everything 

Honored Contributor

It's just common sense not to flush these.  It even states it on the container.