Respected Contributor

Re: Americans clogging toilets with sanitizing wipes

My plumber told me  a couple years ago to never flush any thing like that as it clogs everything up. I just toss them in the garbage.

Respected Contributor

Just saw this in today's  Atlanta newspaper....

<<DeKalb County leaders know some folks have had trouble getting their hands on toilet paper recently, with coronavirus fears fueling stock-depleting runs on grocery stores. But they’re reminding residents that flushing other options — like wipes and paper towels — can clog pipes and exacerbate sewer issues. 

Even “flushable” wipes should only be disposed of in the trash. They do not biodegrade properly in the sewer system. 

“We want to eliminate any other potential public health threats, especially during this COVID-19 crisis,” DeKalb CEO Michael Thurmond said in a news release.

“Along with keeping fats, oils and grease out of the drains, keeping paper towels and wipes out of our sewer pipes is a step the public can take to prevent the spread of disease.” 

DeKalb County leaders know some folks have had trouble getting their hands on toilet paper recently, with coronavirus fears fueling stock-depleting runs on grocery stores. 

But they’re reminding residents that flushing other options — like wipes and paper towels — can clog pipes and exacerbate sewer issues. 

Even “flushable” wipes should only be disposed of in the trash. They do not biodegrade properly in the sewer system. 

“We want to eliminate any other potential public health threats, especially during this COVID-19 crisis,” DeKalb CEO Michael Thurmond said in a news release.

“Along with keeping fats, oils and grease out of the drains, keeping paper towels and wipes out of our sewer pipes is a step the public can take to prevent the spread of disease.” 

DeKalb County is under a federal consent decree to fix its aging, spill-prone sewer system. It will not meet the original deadline in June but an extension is being negotiated. 

While many of DeKalb’s sewer spills are driven by weather — with stormwater entering the system and forcing waste out — the county also has issues with clogs and back-ups. 

At least three spills reported last week were attributed to grease blockages or paper debris.

Esteemed Contributor

@Twoaces wrote:

In many countries, especially third world, it is not ok to flush ANY kind of paper down the toilet.  A waste basket with a liner is often kept beside the toilet for paper disposal. When I am in those countries, I HATE it, but the sewer lines are preserved by following that practice.  Maybe we should be ready to adopt that practice when we run out of normal TP.

@Twoaces 

I've posted this in another thread. About 20 years ago I learned a lot of people in this country never flush the paper. It always goes in the trash.

There are assorted reasons cited, but they all have the same underlying goal: always keeping your own toilet useable by preventing the possibility of a clog.

Honored Contributor

I grew up out in the country with a sewer system...I learned as a child what was to be flushed and what was not safe.

Honored Contributor

Why are manufacturers of wipes allowed to say they are "flushable"?  They should be sued.  They're responsible for this big clog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@novamc1  <smh> Some people can be so stupid. 🙄

@Mimi 1883    If they're dumb and the package says "flushable", what do you think is going to happen?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

How stupid can one be to throw paper towels and flush them along with sanitiIng wipes?  People can be just plain dumb!  I think people's common sense has gone south since this whole pandemic started.