Super Contributor

Re: Americans are just spoiled!

any interesting Op-Ed piece by the OP since she started a thread about clutter in the home and stated:People who keep a reasonable amount of "things" are not being evil or sinful or lacking faith that they will be provided for, which is what her statement was saying to me. People who keep a reasonable amount of useful things are better able to have what they (and possibly ...others need

In this post you are saying Americans are spoiled because they have so many things and in your other post you chastised me for being a minimalist which is exactly what you stated is all we really need in this thread....

Are you spoiled then too? Keeping extra things in case of a disaster is just an excuse to buy more stuff. I would not hesitate to place bets on how many Americans kept loads of extra stuff on hand and then were able to give it away to others when the need arose. My guess would be "not many".

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Terrier, I'm a former Buffalonian! I went to school in Orchard Park, and moved to Los Angeles after The Blizzard of 77 .... the week Roots was on.

My sisters still live there ... in Hamburg, and my sister works downtown. It's a great city to raise kids in. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

There are a LOT of people here on the boards from either Buffalo or Rochester.

WNY is one of the highest grossing areas of the country for QVC. When I worked for cable, we received lots of goodies from the Q, including associate (employee) discounts.

I think that is one of the reasons David came here in May.

I always lived in the city limits - first South Buffalo and then the Summer/Oakland/Bryant neighborhood, near Children's Hospital.

It REALLY bugs me when people put down cities.

I am on the Garden Walk at the end of July. Women from the suburbs brings their HUSBANDS along b/c they don't feel safe in the city. One woman even told me I shouldn't be standing out greeting walkers, she was afraid I might get mugged!

Little by little, attitude have changed around here though. I visited Denver a few years ago. They have also had a huge revival of their downtown, for shopping, restaurants and also to live.

Respected Contributor

I think it's more of a generational thing.........the younger generation is downsizing......going smaller.....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I don't see the OP as ranting or being worked up at all. That's not how I took her post. It's an observation/opinion. I think she stated it well.

I agree. This thread has taken on a life of its own:/
Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 wookie said:
On 7/2/2014 songbird said:

The average single home in my state goes for over $300,000.00. That a three bedroom starter home. The American dream is to own a single home and the the one acre land it's built on. They want privacy. They want protection against noisy neighbors and crime. They want a rural environment. They don't want to live in city or even a large town. They want clean air and clean water. They want their kids to see nature everyday, and not to see/hear buses and trucks everyday.

That's how much they want a house paid for by worthless paper money that increases everyday. The actual wealth is that land and house. The lucky few that are able to get it, are very lucky indeed. The rest have to settle for urban squalor.

That pretty much describes the situation in our area. We have a basic home that sits on almost two acres. I would have preferred to have more house on less land, especially now that we are getting older.

My state has been described as one of the most affluent in the country. That's all very nice and well, but the cost of getting a house in a decent area is extraordinary expensive. New homes in my area are going for $500,000.00 to $900,0000 4 bedrooms for a family with 2-3 kids and both parents with degrees. Huge houses sitting on only quarter acre land lots. Land is that expensive. The drive is really for land. Many couples buying acres to build later.

Valued Contributor

On 7/2/2014 wookie said:

The average single home in my state goes for over $300,000.00. That a three bedroom starter home. The American dream is to own a single home and the the one acre land it's built on. They want privacy. They want protection against noisy neighbors and crime. They want a rural environment. They don't want to live in city or even a large town. They want clean air and clean water. They want their kids to see nature everyday, and not to see/hear buses and trucks everyday.

That's how much they want a house paid for by worthless paper money that increases everyday. The actual wealth is that land and house. The lucky few that are able to get it, are very lucky indeed. The rest have to settle for urban squalor.

That pretty much describes the situation in our area. We have a basic home that sits on almost two acres. I would have preferred to have more house on less land, especially now that we are getting older.

My state has been described as one of the most affluent in the country. That's all very nice and well, but the cost of getting a house in a decent area is extraordinary expensive. New homes in my area are going for $500,000.00 to $900,0000 4 bedrooms for a family with 2-3 kids and both parents with degrees. Huge houses sitting on only quarter acre land lots. Land is that expensive. The drive is really for land. Many couples buying acres to build later.

I live in an affluent area, too. Montgomery County, Maryland. That's why I responded to your post the way I did.
Super Contributor

No one "needs" luxuries. You desire them. As to the OP's question, this is why Americans are so deeply mired in personal debt, filing bankruptcy, low credit ratings on multiple credit cards, taking out reverse mortgages, etc.. They're not spending their own $$ on material goods. They're spending the bank's $$. Ours is a consumer driven society urged on by advertising - more so than even other Western nations. There's no happiness in it because they just make shinier brighter stuff that they convince you that you "need" to be cool and current and happy. Any new technology you buy is "outdated" in a year or so for this reason.

There is a "minimalist" movement afoot that I personally love as I get older. The goal is to live comfortably but simply in an environmentally and financially responsible manner. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Our plan is to downsize sooner rather than later and I've already donated, sold or tossed lots of "stuff" that I once felt I just "had to have". It's so freeing and we have absolutely no debt. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

wookie, someone I love works for the Montgomery County FD! I hope you never have to meet him professionally, but he's a wonderful person and I always think of him when I hear MC!

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 CardinalGirl_ said:

When these people say they "need" this-or-that in a house, they don't mean they "need" it to survive. They mean they need it to be able to enjoy the lifestyle they choose to have.

I truly don't get why anyone thinks they have a right to judge someone else for wanting to maintain a lifestyle that they enjoy.

For instance, I love to entertain, including both formal and casual dinners.....so I "need" a formal dining room and a large kitchen. I love having out-of-town family and friends come spend a few days, so I "need" several guest rooms and a coupld of extra bathrooms. My grandchildren love to come spend the night, and it's nice to have the extra rooms.

Other people might wonder why my husband and I choose to have a large home when only the two of us live here, but it's really not their place to worry about it.

Then they "need" to be clear, it is not a real need, it is a want. Something they wish for or are going to have, but not need. We do a terrible disservice to those in this world who truly need. Those that need clean water, those that need food, because they have none, and no way to get it, those that need shelter because they attempt to survive in shacks or tents, those that need healthcare and medicines, but there is none available.

I'm not judging anyone for WANTING to maintain a lifestyle, I'm judging people who are so selfish to call these things of excess (relative to those people listed above) needs. I'm also pointing out that millions even in this country lived, or have lived in the past, with much less, and it really isn't the horrible sacrifice that some make it sound.

Frequent Contributor

On 7/2/2014 tansy said:
On 7/2/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I don't see the OP as ranting or being worked up at all. That's not how I took her post. It's an observation/opinion. I think she stated it well.

I agree. This thread has taken on a life of its own:/

I also agree.