Honored Contributor

Re: Americans are just spoiled!

The average single home in my state goes for over $300,000.00. That a three bedroom starter home. The American dream is to own a single home and the the one acre land it's built on. They want privacy. They want protection against noisy neighbors and crime. They want a rural environment. They don't want to live in city or even a large town. They want clean air and clean water. They want their kids to see nature everyday, and not to see/hear buses and trucks everyday.

That's how much they want a house paid for by worthless paper money that increases everyday. The actual wealth is that land and house. The lucky few that are able to get it, are very lucky indeed. The rest have to settle for urban squalor.

Honored Contributor

The good old days were only good for some people. I don't want to live in the past. I prefer to look forward.

What is a starter home to some is a forever home to others.

Unless I misunderstood the reasons for your post, I don't understand why this bothers you. Are you jealous?

If I misunderstood, I apologize.

moxie, well said.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

On 7/2/2014 brii said:

I don't worry about other people.

I don't think people are spoiled if they want to have one child in one bedroom or a first floor laundry room.

I have a friend who lives in an old home. The closets in that house are so tiny and she is always complaining there is no room to put things away. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

But to each their own...

I was tickled pink when we could afford a house with a room for each child and have one left to use an as office.

The first floor laundry for me is not a "need" yet, but it may be someday. We downsized to one floor because we're not getting any younger and it's sure nice to have that convenience.

Super Contributor

I've been saying that Americans are spoiled for years. We are a wealthy country. We use more water to flush one toilet than some people have for a week.

Valued Contributor

On 7/2/2014 songbird said:

The average single home in my state goes for over $300,000.00. That a three bedroom starter home. The American dream is to own a single home and the the one acre land it's built on. They want privacy. They want protection against noisy neighbors and crime. They want a rural environment. They don't want to live in city or even a large town. They want clean air and clean water. They want their kids to see nature everyday, and not to see/hear buses and trucks everyday.

That's how much they want a house paid for by worthless paper money that increases everyday. The actual wealth is that land and house. The lucky few that are able to get it, are very lucky indeed. The rest have to settle for urban squalor.

That pretty much describes the situation in our area. We have a basic home that sits on almost two acres. I would have preferred to have more house on less land, especially now that we are getting older.
Respected Contributor

On 7/2/2014 ennui1 said:

I've been saying that Americans are spoiled for years. We are a wealthy country. We use more water to flush one toilet than some people have for a week.

Yes...we are very wasteful in this country.

Respected Contributor

OP,

One sentence of your thread said "Many think they are entitled to it." They do. This country has become an entitlement society. And I"m not saying any more.

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 songbird said:

I hope you're not saying urban means squalor housing. Every area has squalor, including rural areas. But America's great cities have some amazing homes. Google San Francisco mansions and get ready for an eye opener:

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

I am single, have 3 bathrooms and I use them all.... When I was a kid, I had to share one with my sister and brother...didn't kill me, but hey, my house, my rules now...
Valued Contributor

Most major cities have both wealthy and poor areas.