Honored Contributor

Re: Americans are just spoiled!

On 7/2/2014 songbird said:

The average single home in my state goes for over $300,000.00. That a three bedroom starter home. The American dream is to own a single home and the the one acre land it's built on. They want privacy. They want protection against noisy neighbors and crime. They want a rural environment. They don't want to live in city or even a large town. They want clean air and clean water. They want their kids to see nature everyday, and not to see/hear buses and trucks everyday.

That's how much they want a house paid for by worthless paper money that increases everyday. The actual wealth is that land and house. The lucky few that are able to get it, are very lucky indeed. The rest have to settle for urban squalor.

Don't tell that to all the people who pay big bucks to live in NYC!

I live in a city, Buffalo NY, by choice.

I live 2 miles - about 3 minutes drive, from the downtown business district. We live near a park designed by America's most famous landscape designer, Frederick Law Olmstead. I'm also 3 miles or so away from Lake Erie and it's marinas. There are plenty of housing options in my neighborhood too. I live near a large 5 story NYC style apartment building. Many medical students and professionals rent there for it's proximity to their work. Houses and condos on my block have been selling recently for anywhere from $250,000 (small condos) to 2 million (large 6,000 SQ.+ homes).

This is dinky Buffalo - not Brooklyn or Manhattan or somewhere trendy to live!

There has been a revival all over American in urban living. People like the culture, the entertainment options, the excitement & diversity of city living.

Urban living isn't for everyone, anymore than suburban or country living suits everyone either.

Respected Contributor

I think many on the HGTV shows are using the word "need" instead of the more appropriate word "want". They use it when describing their "wish list". Often many of them settle for less than what's on that wish list because they realize it's out of their price range.

Sure I would want or like to have 4 large bedrooms but that's not what I "need". Now when it comes to bathrooms, sorry I do "NEED" two of them.

Honored Contributor

The HGTV shows aren't any more "real" than the Real Housewives.

It's all done for drama!

I think what everyone wants is for their kids to do a little better than they did...we are constantly striving to better ourselves, our neighborhoods and our country.

I think that's a good thing.

Valued Contributor

On 7/2/2014 terrier3 said:
On 7/2/2014 songbird said:

The average single home in my state goes for over $300,000.00. That a three bedroom starter home. The American dream is to own a single home and the the one acre land it's built on. They want privacy. They want protection against noisy neighbors and crime. They want a rural environment. They don't want to live in city or even a large town. They want clean air and clean water. They want their kids to see nature everyday, and not to see/hear buses and trucks everyday.

That's how much they want a house paid for by worthless paper money that increases everyday. The actual wealth is that land and house. The lucky few that are able to get it, are very lucky indeed. The rest have to settle for urban squalor.

Don't tell that to all the people who pay big bucks to live in NYC!

I live in a city, Buffalo NY, by choice.

I live 2 miles - about 3 minutes drive, from the downtown business district. We live near a park designed by America's most famous landscape designer, Frederick Law Olmstead. I'm also 3 miles or so away from Lake Erie and it's marinas. There are plenty of housing options in my neighborhood too. I live near a large 5 story NYC style apartment building. Many medical students and professionals rent there for it's proximity to their work. Houses and condos on my block have been selling recently for anywhere from $250,000 (small condos) to 2 million (large 6,000 SQ.+ homes).

This is dinky Buffalo - not Brooklyn or Manhattan or somewhere trendy to live!

There has been a revival all over American in urban living. People like the culture, the entertainment options, the excitement & diversity of city living.

Urban living isn't for everyone, anymore than suburban or country living suits everyone either.

Your area sounds very appealing, except for the harsh winter weather. I am more of an urban person than not. I would love to live where I could walk to restaurants and stores.
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want to go back to the "good old days" and live like my parents did. My mom had 12 siblings and lived in a 4 bedroom house, so obviously, one of those bedrooms were my grandparents. That meant 3 bedrooms for 12 children.

The house also only had 1 full bathroom and 1 half bathroom. That meant 14 people showering/bathing in 1 bathroom. Actually, for the longest time my mom said they only had a bath, no shower. All the boys bathed using one tub of water, it was drained, fresh water put in then all the girls bathed using that same water. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

As products are invented, I'm sure people would look back at the way we leave and think they could never survive with so few amenities. It's the way things develop.

I do think some people feel entitled and have a want it all mentality when they really can't afford it all. But many don't want to wait until they have the money for it. They just want it so they get it and worry about paying for it later.

Respected Contributor

Yes Terrier, the shows are staged. I read some background on the House Hunters shows a few years ago. Three homes are chosen but the potential home buyers have actually already selected a home, were approved and ready to move in. The other two homes are "for show" and the potential buyers are asked not to trash them too much with their comments.

Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 terrier3 said:

The HGTV shows aren't any more "real" than the Real Housewives.

It's all done for drama!

I think what everyone wants is for their kids to do a little better than they did...we are constantly striving to better ourselves, our neighborhoods and our country.

I think that's a good thing.

And yet, we have so many people who think what they're seeing really depicts the average American.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Most people I know - unless they built their home custom - buy a home that has ""most"" of the things they are looking for and then makes improvements little by little.

Valued Contributor

In order to combat self centeredness and greed, every American should spend a week in Uganda. I believe they would have a new appreciation for what they have.

Respected Contributor

OP, I understand your point of view. HGTV is heavily scripted and I feel is somewhat off balance as to what average homebuyers purchase.

A little off topic.....I watched House Hunters International last evening. Young single mother lived in Hawaii and quit her job to relocate to Costa Rico to live more affordably in order to spend more time with her 5 year old daughter. She didn't care for the nicest, most affordable property because of her concern that the common pool was too close to her patio and was worried about the safety factor. Yet during the course of the program, it showed her at the beach with a friend. She told her daughter, me and so & so are going to surf and left the child alone on the beach.