Honored Contributor

Re: American woman - average height

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 , it's pretty easy to find.  There's no mystery involved.  No hidden sources. And there are a lot of sources.  

@Homegirl 

I'm sure there's no "mystery", but it's been customary to include the source.   Just because someone states something to be factual doesn't mean it is.   

@Tinkrbl44 

People post things here all the time without a source, so I don't see how including the source has become "customary".

I always look things up anyway, source provided or not.

@KittyLouWhoToo 

And people post things here all the time that just aren't true ... we've both seen some really ridiculous "facts" on here.   

My point was simply that  including a source gives credibility to the statement.   Period.

@Tinkrbl44 

Well, I don't think inlcuding a source gives credibility.  "Ridiculous 'facts'" appear all the time with sources provided.

But, hey, this one in particular is just too easy to find without a source attached.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

The average height of American women has been pretty well known for years.  Anyone with a computer can plug in those search terms and find innumerable sources.  No need to focus on one specific source. 

Do we need a source to say the sky is blue or that QVC is an online retailer or that Christmas comes but once a year (except for CIJ)? Woman Wink

Including one source for something already well known would not have improved the original post - especially since I found NO source saying average height of American women was 5'8".  Did you?

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 , it's pretty easy to find.  There's no mystery involved.  No hidden sources. And there are a lot of sources.  

@Homegirl 

I'm sure there's no "mystery", but it's been customary to include the source.   Just because someone states something to be factual doesn't mean it is.   

@Tinkrbl44 

People post things here all the time without a source, so I don't see how including the source has become "customary".

@KittyLouWhoToo 

And people post things here all the time that just aren't true ... we've both seen some really ridiculous "facts" on here.   

My point was simply that  including a source gives credibility to the statement.   Period.

@Tinkrbl44 

Well, I don't think inlcuding a source gives credibility.  "Ridiculous 'facts'" appear all the time with sources provided.

But, hey, this one in particular is just too easy to find without a source attached.

Oh, please .... it depends on the source.   duh

Honored Contributor

@Homegirl wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

The average height of American women has been pretty well known for years.  Anyone with a computer can plug in those search terms and find innumerable sources.  No need to focus on one specific source. 

Do we need a source to say the sky is blue or that QVC is an online retailer or that Christmas comes but once a year (except for CIJ)? Woman Wink

Including one source for something already well known would not have improved the original post - especially since I found NO source saying average height of American women was 5'8".  Did you?

Actually, I really hadn't given it much thought ....   any more than I knew the average height of the American male is 5'9" ....  which seems rather short to me, but actual statistics can be surprising.    

(Most women I personally know are 5'4" ...  or taller)

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

@Homegirl 

@Tinkrbl44 

@KittyLouWhoToo 

@Tinkrbl44 

Did someone poop in your Cheerios?

Respected Contributor

@LipstickDiva wrote:

I'm guessing she misspoke or you misheard.  There is noway Colleen thinks the average height of a woman is 5'8" tall.

I believe I have heard her say that is her own personal height...not the average woman in America.  I wish I was 5' 8" tall!  But I am simply the average at 5' 4"....was 5' 3 1/2" but with correcting my posture I grew a 1/2"!!! My doctors office confirmed it for me and was stunned LOL!!  

Respected Contributor

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

@PUPPY LIPS 

We don't have a muscularity epidemic in this country.  We have an obesity epidemic.

@KittyLouWhoToo I did not say otherwise.  I am just pointing out that weight does not tell the whole story on someone's fitness level.  Very fit and healthy people can and do fall into the overweight, even obese category on the government chart.

@PUPPY LIPS 

Very few.  Unless you are an elite strength athlete with a lot of muscle (and only some of those will have a high BMI) you are going to show up on a BMI chart as obese only if you are indeed obese, or at least overweight.

BMI has it's problems, but it is actually quite useful for the average population and people who work out and are "very fit".  And many people who look "fit and healthy" are indeed carrying a high percentage of bodyfat. I work as a trainer and I see this all the time.  BMI won't give you that information, but a reliable bodyfat evaluation will.

@KittyLouWhoToo  could you share how body fat evaluation is done?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

@PUPPY LIPS 

We don't have a muscularity epidemic in this country.  We have an obesity epidemic.

@KittyLouWhoToo I did not say otherwise.  I am just pointing out that weight does not tell the whole story on someone's fitness level.  Very fit and healthy people can and do fall into the overweight, even obese category on the government chart.

@PUPPY LIPS 

Very few.  Unless you are an elite strength athlete with a lot of muscle (and only some of those will have a high BMI) you are going to show up on a BMI chart as obese only if you are indeed obese, or at least overweight.

BMI has it's problems, but it is actually quite useful for the average population and people who work out and are "very fit".  And many people who look "fit and healthy" are indeed carrying a high percentage of bodyfat. I work as a trainer and I see this all the time.  BMI won't give you that information, but a reliable bodyfat evaluation will.

@KittyLouWhoToo  could you share how body fat evaluation is done?  

@tsavorite 

There are several ways this is done, some more accurate than others and, not surprisingly, the most accurate happen to be the least widely used as they tend to be the most complex and/or expensive.

1.  Skinfold Calipers - this method has been around for decades and is pretty accurate IF the technician is skilled at it and knowledgeable in anatomy.  It does have an advantage of requiring little equipment (and not costly).  Several areas of the body are targeted and "pinched" (different areas for men and women).  This method as a 3.5-5%  bodyfat error associated with it. 

2.  DXA - Dual Energy XRay Absorptiometry.  Obviously, uses xray technology, and so is only available in medical settings and is expensive.  It's bodyfat error rate is 2.5 - 3.5%.

3.  Hydrostatic Weighing - subject needs to be totally submerged in water and bodyfat is measured by water displacement technology.  It is an accurate method, with an error rate as low as 2%, but it is not readily available, used only in medical facilites, universities, and some fitness facilities.  Expensive.

4.  Air Displacement Plethysmography (ADP) - the "Bod Pod" - uses air instead of water (hydrostatic weighing).  It is also limited to medical facilities, universities, and some fitness facilities (I know of one fitness facility in my area that has one).  Expensive.  Error rate 2%-4%.

5. Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis ( BIA).  Accuracy varies widely with this one (can be skewed by water intake and activity prior to testing), but is widely available.  It works on electrical current and there are many different devices that use this method.  Not surprisingly, the most costly of them are believed to be more accurate.  I have used a few of these on myself and on clients and am not sold on this method at all.  I think the algorithm needs work (or be tossed altogether Smiley Happy  But that is another discussion,  

6.  Bioimpedance Spectroscopy (BIS)  Similar to the BIA but uses a much larger number of electrical currents.  Some feel it is more accurate than BIA.  It's not widely used and still has a 3-5% bodyfat error rate.

7.Multi-Compartment Models (Gold Standard!)  Considered to be the most accurate as it uses multiple tests - ADP, Hydrostatic Weighing for body volume, BIA or BIS for body water, and DXA for bone content.  Because of it's multi test requirement it is mostly only available in certain medical and research facilities.  Error rates can be under 1%.

These are the top methods used.  Hope it's informative!

ETA:  I am thinking about getting a "Bod Pod" analysis done on myself out of curiosity.  I've done the BIA on different occasions and with different models and came up with very different results from one to the other.  And depending on some info plugged into one of them, different results within 5 minutes of each use......

Honored Contributor

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

@Homegirl 

@Tinkrbl44 

@KittyLouWhoToo 

@Tinkrbl44 

Did someone poop in your Cheerios?

Nope ....   I just don't believe everything people claim.   

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@LipstickDiva wrote:

I'm guessing she misspoke or you misheard.  There is noway Colleen thinks the average height of a woman is 5'8" tall.

I believe I have heard her say that is her own personal height...not the average woman in America.  I wish I was 5' 8" tall!  But I am simply the average at 5' 4"....was 5' 3 1/2" but with correcting my posture I grew a 1/2"!!! My doctors office confirmed it for me and was stunned LOL!!  

@tsavorite, it's not even her own height.  Colleen is 5'9" tall.  LOL

I am the same height as you are.  Smiley Happy