Honored Contributor

Re: American woman - average height

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

I just heard the host (Colleen, I think) on HSN state the average height of the American woman is 5'8".  She then related it to some other feature of clothing that I didn't catch.  (Did anyone?)

In any event, that statistic did not sound right at all.  A bit of checking confirmed the average height is still 5'4".  I don't know where she came up with her statistic.

@Homegirl 

A bit of checking WHERE?      It would be so helpful if people listed their sources.  Where did you come up with your statistic?  

@Tinkrbl44 

Post #7

Source: Centers for Disease Control

@Homegirl  & @Tinkrbl44 , as well as Post #20.

Tink, I am big on sources, but really, this is the kind of statement that can so easily be corroborated by anyone with a quick google.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

There are not anyone short like me any more--inherited--5ft.Hard to buy clothes but I manage.

@halfpint1  I am!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm guessing she misspoke or you misheard.  There is noway Colleen thinks the average height of a woman is 5'8" tall.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

I just heard the host (Colleen, I think) on HSN state the average height of the American woman is 5'8".  She then related it to some other feature of clothing that I didn't catch.  (Did anyone?)

In any event, that statistic did not sound right at all.  A bit of checking confirmed the average height is still 5'4".  I don't know where she came up with her statistic.

@Homegirl 

A bit of checking WHERE?      It would be so helpful if people listed their sources.  Where did you come up with your statistic?  

@Tinkrbl44 

Post #7

Source: Centers for Disease Control

@Homegirl  & @Tinkrbl44 , as well as Post #20.

Tink, I am big on sources, but really, this is the kind of statement that can so easily be corroborated by anyone with a quick google.

And that's exactly why I didn't list the multitude of sources available all saying the same thing.  

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@ballinmom wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

No, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. You are correct in that muscle is more dense than fat, so they look completely different. Don't mean to split hairs, it's the science teacher in me.Smiley Happy

Well yes, obviously.  You were not splitting hairs.  With the same volume of each, muscle weighs more.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

@ballinmom wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

No, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. You are correct in that muscle is more dense than fat, so they look completely different. Don't mean to split hairs, it's the science teacher in me.Smiley Happy

Well yes, obviously.  You were not splitting hairs.  With the same volume of each, muscle weighs more.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

A pound of muscle takes up less volume than a pound of fat. 

Honored Contributor

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS 

We don't have a muscularity epidemic in this country.  We have an obesity epidemic.

@KittyLouWhoToo I did not say otherwise.  I am just pointing out that weight does not tell the whole story on someone's fitness level.  Very fit and healthy people can and do fall into the overweight, even obese category on the government chart.

@PUPPY LIPS 

Very few.  Unless you are an elite strength athlete with a lot of muscle (and only some of those will have a high BMI) you are going to show up on a BMI chart as obese only if you are indeed obese, or at least overweight.

BMI has it's problems, but it is actually quite useful for the average population and people who work out and are "very fit".  And many people who look "fit and healthy" are indeed carrying a high percentage of bodyfat. I work as a trainer and I see this all the time.  BMI won't give you that information, but a reliable bodyfat evaluation will.

Honored Contributor

@Homegirl wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 , it's pretty easy to find.  There's no mystery involved.  No hidden sources. And there are a lot of sources.  

@Homegirl 

I'm sure there's no "mystery", but it's been customary to include the source.   Just because someone states something to be factual doesn't mean it is.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 , it's pretty easy to find.  There's no mystery involved.  No hidden sources. And there are a lot of sources.  

@Homegirl 

I'm sure there's no "mystery", but it's been customary to include the source.   Just because someone states something to be factual doesn't mean it is.   

@Tinkrbl44 

People post things here all the time without a source, so I don't see how including the source has become "customary".

I always look things up anyway, source provided or not.

Honored Contributor

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

@Homegirl 

@Tinkrbl44 

People post things here all the time without a source, so I don't see how including the source has become "customary".

I always look things up anyway, source provided or not.

@KittyLouWhoToo 

And people post things here all the time that just aren't true ... we've both seen some really ridiculous "facts" on here.   

My point was simply that  including a source gives credibility to the statement.   Period.