Honored Contributor

Re: American woman - average height

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

Just my opinion, but I think far too many people may be attributing their poundage to muscle, rather than fat.  

And I am an avid exerciser.   But even I have to admit that some of my recent weight gain (maybe 5 pounds) has nothing to do with added muscle.  

Respected Contributor

I think people know, whether they admit it openly or not, if they are overweight. No one needs to be so rude as to tell them they are fat.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Homegirl wrote:

I just heard the host (Colleen, I think) on HSN state the average height of the American woman is 5'8".  She then related it to some other feature of clothing that I didn't catch.  (Did anyone?)

In any event, that statistic did not sound right at all.  A bit of checking confirmed the average height is still 5'4".  I don't know where she came up with her statistic.

@Homegirl 

A bit of checking WHERE?      It would be so helpful if people listed their sources.  Where did you come up with your statistic?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am up in the middle of the night because I have been in Japan for a while and am on a 14 hour time difference!  Anyhow, it is fun to catch up with the Community Chat. 

I was 5' 4" in high school when I was a senior but I grew quite a bit afterwards--1 or two inches.  So because I am older now and my doctor is trying to figure out if I have osteoporosis (sp?), I need to know my height.  It is either 5' 5" or 5' 6".  This is weird but true.  If I face the grid at my gym, it comes out as 5" 6"  but if I stand with my back to the grid, I am 5' 5".  Go figure--I guess I should go by the average. 

Japan helped me with my weight--I walked so far and ate so little (loving the country but not so much the mystery foods) that I lost 5 pounds.  Japan for me is better than a spa.  The problem is that while I am not longer a vegetarian, I still try to eat plants mostly, and _what_ is in a dish is a lot harder to tell in Japan than in the US. 

Valued Contributor

@Songbird1 wrote:

I can't believe it's still 5'4".  Each generation gets taller.  I think the average is 5'6" now.  I've seen plenty corn fed teenage girls and they are about 5'6" or 5'7".  Not only taller, but bigger too.  Same with boys.  5'4" sounds part of the baby boom when they were girls. 

The first thing my Russian co worker said to me when I asked her what her first impression of Americans were.  She said "Big"

I agree with the next generation coming up, my daughter is 16 and she’s about 5’6, most of her friends are quite a bit taller than me, I’m about 5’3 1/2...but I’ve always heard average height is 5’4. 

The meaning of life is to find your gift, the purpose of life is to give it away.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know why Colleen said that.  I can't imagine the average woman being 5'8".  I love being tall!

I am exactly 5'8" and I know I'm taller than most people.  I have one daughter who is 5'10" and the other is 5'4".  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

I just heard the host (Colleen, I think) on HSN state the average height of the American woman is 5'8".  She then related it to some other feature of clothing that I didn't catch.  (Did anyone?)

In any event, that statistic did not sound right at all.  A bit of checking confirmed the average height is still 5'4".  I don't know where she came up with her statistic.

@Homegirl 

A bit of checking WHERE?      It would be so helpful if people listed their sources.  Where did you come up with your statistic?  

@Tinkrbl44 

Post #7

Source: Centers for Disease Control

Respected Contributor

Holy Guacamole!   5 ft 3 1/2 inches tall?  and 170 pounds is the average?!?!?!?  with a 38-inch waist???   Am I reading that correctly?

None of that makes sense to me.   Until I shrank down to 5 ft 2 inches in my late 60's, I was 5 ft 3 1/2 inches from the time I was 14.   If I'd ever weighed 170 pounds, I would've been as big around as my car!  Sure would've been a whole lot rounder than a 38-in waist.

We don't stop laughing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop laughing.
Super Contributor

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

No, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. You are correct in that muscle is more dense than fat, so they look completely different. Don't mean to split hairs, it's the science teacher in me.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Homegirl wrote:

@Homegirl 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321132.php

Center for Disease Control publishes annual statistics.