Honored Contributor

Re: American woman - average height

@sidsmom wrote:

5’4”...170 lbs

Average

29.2=Overweight BMI (5lb away from Obese)

B468C3E3-80F0-47CC-95B3-E6B6B2B6D46A.jpeg

@sidsmom   The average weight and body measurements are really terrible.  I wonder if Americans have always been so overweight.  I don't remember seeing so many overweight people when I was growing up.  My friends and their parents were normal sized.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
What greater gift than the love of a cat.--Charles Dickens

Respected Contributor

It amazes me that Colleen thinks 5'8" is average.

Doesn't she see that there are millions of shorter women everywhere one looks?

Honored Contributor

I don’t see why anyone cares what is or is not the average height. It isn’t as if it is something we can control. It doesn’t seem to matter to clothing manufacturers very much.

Honored Contributor

I have shrunk Down to 5'8.....sadly.....😩

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This reminds me that when I saw my new PCP in March , I'd gone from 5' 3" and 3/4 which I've been my whole adult life to 5"4 1/4.   I've gotten taller?  I'm 72, I should be getting shorter.  She checked it twice.

I hope that is correct.  I've always said I don't need to lose 20 pounds, I just need to get taller.  Maybe I'm on the way.

Honored Contributor

I was 5'4" once,  now I am 5'3".   I know I have read that the average American woman is 5'4", certainly no where near 5'8".  

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

5’4”...170 lbs

Average

29.2=Overweight BMI (5lb away from Obese)

B468C3E3-80F0-47CC-95B3-E6B6B2B6D46A.jpeg

@sidsmom   The average weight and body measurements are really terrible.  I wonder if Americans have always been so overweight.  I don't remember seeing so many overweight people when I was growing up.  My friends and their parents were normal sized.

I certainly remember seeing overweight Americans when I was growing up.  My dad was American and his mother, sisters and their kids were all overweight and the ones still around are still obese. I take after my mother.  I'm 6ft tall.  Above average height and under that average weight.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

This reminds me that when I saw my new PCP in March , I'd gone from 5' 3" and 3/4 which I've been my whole adult life to 5"4 1/4.   I've gotten taller?  I'm 72, I should be getting shorter.  She checked it twice.

I hope that is correct.  I've always said I don't need to lose 20 pounds, I just need to get taller.  Maybe I'm on the way.

@Bridgegal 

I’ve gotten taller, too, at the doctor before. I suspect it is just different people or ways of measuring that go undetected. 

Honored Contributor

Where I live I do not see a lot of overweight people so I am wondering about the 170 pounds.  I am 5'10" and do not weigh 170 pounds.  That seems like a lot for someone 5.4".  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Where I live I do not see a lot of overweight people so I am wondering about the 170 pounds.  I am 5'10" and do not weigh 170 pounds.  That seems like a lot for someone 5.4".  

@DiAnne, it is correct. Check out this page on healthline.com:

https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/average-weight-for-women

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland