Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: American woman - average height

Being below the average height I spent years hemming pants, wondering why I wasn't gifted with a 5'4" height.  It always seems to be the ideal height.

Petite pants were available back then, in "short" supply (pun) but the fit never worked for me-especially in the rise.

Once petite and/or short lengths came around that took into account that short didn't mean child size life became better. lol

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Yes, the average size is 5'4".  The average clothing size recently changed from size 12 to 14.  

@Foxxee 

Its changed again....

It's True: The Average Size of the American Woman Is No Longer 14

UPDATED 05/05/19

The average size of an American woman was widely reported as a size 14. The clothing industry somewhat took this into account and adjusted its sizes. Though, most labels didn't even do that; the majority of clothing lines still sell up to size 12 and that's it. Then, a study published in the International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education revealed, "The average size of an American woman is now between 16 to 18, which is an increase from 10-year-old data that indicated most women in the U.S. were a size 14." This information even further brings to light to need for clothing in sizes above the previously acceptable numbers.  

Scientists have now determined that the average waist circumference has increased 2.6 inches in the past 21 years. According to a report from 22 Words, “Researchers explained that this updated information is crucial for the fashion industry and for women in general, many of which have compared themselves to this inaccurate and misleading information for years.”

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

@PUPPY LIPS 

We don't have a muscularity epidemic in this country.  We have an obesity epidemic.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 , it's pretty easy to find.  There's no mystery involved.  No hidden sources. And there are a lot of sources.  

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Don't know where that puts me...

im..4-10-1/2

Smiley Sad

Always be thankful
and
you'll always have more than you know.
Preds 1/05/2019
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@SPURT wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Yes, the average size is 5'4".  The average clothing size recently changed from size 12 to 14.  

@Foxxee 

Its changed again....

UPDATED 05/05/19

The average size of an American woman was widely reported as a size 14. The clothing industry somewhat took this into account and adjusted its sizes. Though, most labels didn't even do that; the majority of clothing lines still sell up to size 12 and that's it. Then, a study published in the International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education revealed, "The average size of an American woman is now between 16 to 18, which is an increase from 10-year-old data that indicated most women in the U.S. were a size 14." This information even further brings to light to need for clothing in sizes above the previously acceptable numbers.  

Scientists have now determined that the average waist circumference has increased 2.6 inches in the past 21 years. According to a report from 22 Words, “Researchers explained that this updated information is crucial for the fashion industry and for women in general, many of which have compared themselves to this inaccurate and misleading information for years.”

@SPURT 

Interesting.  Thanks for the update.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

If the "average" height of American women were 5'8" there wouldn't be so many lines that sell petite sizes.  

But, getting back to what "average" means.  It's adding up all the numbers then dividing them.   So, go from 5' to 6' and divide by how many women are in the group.  An average of 5' 8" still seems too tall to be the average. I know a few female family members who are almost at the 6' height.   Most are shorter than 5' 5". 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@PUPPY LIPS wrote:
Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Two people of the same height and weight can look very different, one fit and one fat.

@PUPPY LIPS 

We don't have a muscularity epidemic in this country.  We have an obesity epidemic.

@KittyLouWhoToo I did not say otherwise.  I am just pointing out that weight does not tell the whole story on someone's fitness level.  Very fit and healthy people can and do fall into the overweight, even obese category on the government chart.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

There are not anyone short like me any more--inherited--5ft.Hard to buy clothes but I manage.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@SPURT wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@Foxxee 

Its changed again....

UPDATED 05/05/19

2B5DEDD300000578-3198316-image-m-17_1439570364085.jpg

What's more, today's size 16 is 2001's Size 24. We are truly in crisis.