Honored Contributor

I've mentioned here before that my middle daughter is friends with the woman (Jackie) who is building what (maybe still is) the biggest house in America!  (That's so weird).

Anyway, she lives in the same development in Florida as my daughter.  My granddaughters play with Jackie's twins.  The twins are always over my daughter's house because my daughter loves entertaining children....

She is primarily friends with the girl's nanny but has spent time with Jackie and her husband.  You'd have to know my daughter.  She isn't impressed by anyone or anything...and is always bored....

Anyway, she just texted me that she just came from this house Jackie and her husband has been building for years (it's not in the same development where they live). 

She said she went there with her children, Jackie's children, the various Nannys, Jackie and her husband and a film crew!  Who knows why the film crew was there?

She's talked about this place before.  In fact my oldest daughter visted at Easter and they all went to this house for an Easter egg party.

My daughter in Florida likes Jackie because she says she's just a nice person.  She isn't full of herself and is very kind.  I guess if you like my daughter and can put up with her that's a good thing...(my daughter is kind and nice but like I said, she gets bored easily).

Anyway, we in our family think it's funny because personality-wise they are very different people.  Jackie is more like me (loves people and talks and talks) and my daughter doesn't ....period.  She doesn't believe in 'small talk'.  I have no idea how these two get along so well.  The only thing I can think of is Jackie must remind my daughter of me and I know she misses me terribly (I live in Va and don't see her much).

It's interesting the way people are perceived to be on TV and the way they actually are.  Jackie and her family is an example of that.  On the TV show David (Jackie's husband) came across as being a flirt and well...kinda sickening, but my daughter said it's obvious he loves her very much and is very sweet to her.

I just think it's interesting that she's managed to stay married to him for so long (they have 5 children), one (a daughter) died a few years ago while we were visiting my daughter.  It was weird.  The children's nanny called my daughter to tell her right after the girl (a teenager) was found before the news came out.  My grandchildren were devestated because they knew her.

Go HERE: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/16/biggest-house-in-america-david-siegel_n_1677741.html:

GO HERE to see Jackie interacting with Jeff Lewis on Flipping Out!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQWQJcugZBc

Honored Contributor

I thought Biltmore was the largest house in America.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if they'll ever finish it. I was fascinated by the documetary Queen of Versailles about the initial construction of the home and then having to shut it down due to the economic collapse. To my surprise, Jackie came across as fairly down to earth.

Honored Contributor

Re: American Versailles!

[ Edited ]

Love you @Annabellethecat66  so honest and unpretentious.   The excess presented in the videos is not appealing to me.  Each of us has our own priorities.  

Honored Contributor

I really don't think they'll ever finish it.  On the TV show Jeff Lewis just threw up his hands and didn't want to even TRY to do anything with any of the rooms.

They just buy stuff just to be buying it.  It's not like they have a room or place in mind for the stuff they buy, just buy it.

When my oldest daughter met Jackie at Easter, she said, it was funny to see Jackie and her sister together, but there seemed to be a genuine friendship.

I said to my oldest daughter, "Come on.  You know your sister.  She'd rather be with the kids than with the grownups.  I guarantee you they don't spend much time together.  Maybe she likes your sister because she isn't impressed by her money."  My daughter laughed and said, "You're right mom...what was I thinking".  Ha!

See, just since I've been typing this, my daughter has moved on to something else.  If it was me, I'd be calling and wanting to talk about the place.  Not my daughter...she's moved on.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I thought Biltmore was the largest house in America.

@deepwaterdotter.  It is as far as I know.

Respected Contributor

Wiki says Bilmore has 135,280 square feet of living space. Versailles will have 85,000.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd I think it's just a case (with Jackie) she married someone and he became even richer.  She just lives her life the same way if she didn't have money.....but she does.

Kris said she travels a lot and isn't home much.  That's why the children are always, always (they spend days at a time) at my daughter's house.

They all love each other, but the children are used to the life-style.  Life is a trade-off anyway.  No one has a perfect life.

When your children become adults you see if what you taught them has stuck.  It seems like it does.

Just last night my youngest daughter on the phone said, "Mom, people always thought Daddy was the maintenance man at the development in Florida.  You always said you can't tell a book by it's cover".  We owned the entire development and he was sweeping the streets ....with a freaking broom!  You do what you have to do in life.

She couldn't see me but I fist pumped the air (like WOW!  She remembered what I used to say).

They grew up hearing me say, "Don't be impressed by what people have, be impressed by what they've accomplished".

They used to hear me talk about how much I respected people who've lost weight because that's one of the hardest things I've had to do (loose it...but keep it off).  Things like that.

But this Jackie lady sounds like someone I'd like too.  My daughter said she's kind to everyone.  That goes a long way with a lot of you guys too, I know I've read your posts.

Wow!  As I've gotten old(er) I've softened...what do they say, "If I knew then what I know now".  That's really true.

Do you guys wish though that sometimes you wish you didn't care as much?  I do.  Sometimes I wish I could just ignore some of this political stuff...put my fingers in my ears and go la la la don't hear any of it....

My daughter in Denver wants me out there for awhile.  She said living in Va I need a break from the constant sound 24/7 of politics...drives me crazy!

My posts are just getting too freaking long...I need to learn to limit them to a few sentences....they bore me!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66-

Well, I liked reading about it all-very interestingSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor
I can't help thinking about all the starving and homeless people who could be helped with that kind of money. Building empty spaces that will have no faces.....sad to me.