Esteemed Contributor

American Idol - haven't watched in years, but.....

I don't think I've watched American Idol since Carrie Underwood won, but I turned it on tonight just to see how the judges worked together, and they're great!

I love Harry Connick, Jr., Keith Urban is fantastic, and Jennifer Lopez seems to be the right one to sit between them. I've already had a lot of laughs, more because of the judges (Harry and Keith) than the contestants. The contestants used to be so bad, all I did was laugh, but they've had some pretty good ones so far.

I'm just enjoying it for a change --there's certainly nothing on QVC I'd rather see! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

Re: American Idol - haven't watched in years, but.....

This judging panel is the best. I can just swoon over Keith Urban, and I really, really enjoy Harry Connick, Jr. J-Lo, I honestly don't know any of her music, but she is TONS better than Paula Abdul and Nicky Minaj.

The show was fun tonight. And without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet....WHEW, the contestant toward the end was ONE LUCKY YOUNG MAN! Holy Cow!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/7/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

This judging panel is the best. I can just swoon over Keith Urban, and I really, really enjoy Harry Connick, Jr. J-Lo, I honestly don't know any of her music, but she is TONS better than Paula Abdul and Nicky Minaj.

The show was fun tonight. And without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet....WHEW, the contestant toward the end was ONE LUCKY YOUNG MAN! Holy Cow!

ITA! That's a few minutes he'll never forget - he has real bragging rights! Just goes to show, you never know unless you ask. Now, if I could do that with Harry Connick, Jr......{#emotions_dlg.tt1} he has a very romantic voice!

Super Contributor

I think they started off on the right foot this year. It looks like they dumped all the garbage (making fun of contestants) at least for this first show and we saw some really promising talent. Maybe they see they have competition with the Voice and decided to be a little more serious about the talent. I LOVED the kid who danced with jlo with Keith and Harry accompaniment.

Honored Contributor

They are definitely having to compete with the Voice, and that horrible practice of making fun of some of the truly pitiful people that would audition (some actually seemed to be challenged) and the showing people flipping off the cameras and telling Simon to, well you know, was really beyond right, and had gotten very old.

I thought most of the talent tonight wasn't that great, but it seems they are trying to be a cohesive group the last couple of years and be more supportive than combative with the contestants. I think they were forced to do this because of that concept on The Voice.

I have enjoyed Keith and Harry and their crazy, fun, relationship the last couple of years. They are really the best judges that have been on here. I wish they still had four, and put Steven Tyler back on with them, and that would be a hoot!

Esteemed Contributor

MIO and Justina, I couldn't agree more! You've listed some of the reasons I haven't watched it in so long -- the old schtick with Simon and Randy, and the poor contestants who had to be so embarrassed got REALLY old. And so many times, I just couldn't understand why certain contestants were voted off, and where did some of the winners go? To see Jennifer Hudson lose the competition and then wind up with an Oscar... {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I guess since I haven't watched it in so long, Carrie Underwood is my all-time favorite winner - I think she has an absolutely fantastic voice and stage presence. And the last awards show she hosted, she did a heck of a performance while pregnant!

Anyway, I had checked in on AI a few times in the intervening years, but it never held any interest to me, until I saw a commercial about the new season the other day, and Keith and Harry were so funny... just had to tune in. And I will be watching tonight - not sure about the whole season, though, we'll see...

And yes, I did watch some when Stephen Tyler was on just to see him and his antics and occasional performance. I can imagine what those three guys would be like together as judges! JLo wouldn't stand a chance! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} As a matter of fact, I watched part of a taped 2-hour concert on VH1 the other night of Aerosmith in Japan in 2013... Stephen has still got it, like some of the other "old" guys, like Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, John Fogerty, etc.

There was a CMT Country Crossroads concert (I taped it) several years ago with Keith Urban and John Fogerty, and I wouldn't take anything for that tape. Also Country Crossroads with Jennifer Nettles and Sugarland, in concert with Bon Jovi - another winner! I'm going to put those two old VHS tapes in a vault, unless I can transfer them over to DVD's soon! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

They did away with all the nasty making fun of contestants several years ago.....I love AI....I'll be there til it ain't no more....hands down this is my favorite talent show.....raw...very raw talent....I love wathcing how these young people grow during the season....those who fail to grow typically go home pretty early. These 3 judges have been my favorite....I think they make a great team even though I think Harry is a little too serious at times. My DH and I watch this together....yep...even he enjoys this show and these judges. It's always interesting to see if he and I like the same ones and whether our early picks make it to the end.

Valued Contributor

On 1/8/2015 straykatz said:

They did away with all the nasty making fun of contestants several years ago.....I love AI....I'll be there til it ain't no more....hands down this is my favorite talent show.....raw...very raw talent....I love wathcing how these young people grow during the season....those who fail to grow typically go home pretty early. These 3 judges have been my favorite....I think they make a great team even though I think Harry is a little too serious at times. My DH and I watch this together....yep...even he enjoys this show and these judges. It's always interesting to see if he and I like the same ones and whether our early picks make it to the end.

The part of your post I bolded - yes, we do the same.

I'm glad they are changing things up a bit as it really needed a makeover IMO. Out of all of the judges, though, JLo is our least favorite. Sometimes, (to us), it just seems to be all about her. But she's better than Nicki Minaj, etc. That season was a complete train wreck IMO.

Honored Contributor

When Nicole Kidman's father died, Keith Urban went with her to Australia. Adam Lambert was the substitute judge. I think it was for the NYC try-outs.

Harry Connick Jr is on Ellen today with some inside scoops.

Super Contributor

I quit watching the show a long time ago, though I may watch the episodes this year in which Adam Lambert filled in for Keith Urban. I DID prefer The Voice, until it became all about two judges and not the vocal hopefuls. Now I'm done with it, until they replace the judges on a regular basis.