Honored Contributor

Re: America Drowning in Milk Nobody Wants

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

I don't drink much milk, either, except in a couple of cups of coffee per day. 

But if milk, cheese and other "unhealthy" animal dairy products could kill, most of us would  be dead by now because our mothers probaby didn't know how bad our diets were for their health and ours.

Just for kicks, look up the statistics on ever-growing human life expectancies since the 19th century. Entire classs of foods should not be randomly  blamed for early deaths without solid evidence to the contrary.

But unhealthy foods, like animal products, processed foods & oil,

ARE killing us.  The human body is smart enough to accept

but there are long-term deadly results.  That’s where medications

are introduced. 

‘We are not living longer, we are DYING longer.’

The fact is we are not baby cows.

And even calves stop drinking milk at a young age.

That should be our 1st ‘a-ha’ we’re doing something not right. 

It’s not rocket science.

@sidsmom

However, its not fat and protein as the number one public enemy its now SUGAR--It causes diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, alzheimer's. Sugar is hidden in all our processed food, some call it "the new tobacco".....

The evidence suggesting that added sugar should be the target is now overwhelming. Unlike fat and protein, refined sugars offer no nutritional value and, contrary to what the food industry want you to believe, the body does not require any carbohydrate from added sugar for energy. Thus it is a source of completely unnecessary calories. Sugars are added to the majority of processed foods. Yet disturbingly, many consumers are unaware of its presence in such large quantities. 

It sets you up for heart disease: No this isn’t a joke, more than fats, it is sugar that damages your heart and arteries, increasing your chances of cardiovascular diseases and heart attack. Just limiting white sugar in your tea, coffee and fruit juices is not going to help. Remember, even fructose, a type of sugar present in honey and fruits, has the capacity to increase your LDL or bad cholesterol, constrict your arteries, increase blood glucose and insulin levels — all of which can increase abdominal obesity and up your risk for both heart diseases and diabetes [1]. Here are 10 ways to keep your heart healthy.

It tricks your brain into alcohol and drug addiction: If you are a non-smoker, non-alcoholic and wish to be the same, stay away from foods that are high in sugar. If you notice closely people who are into drugs, alcohol or any other kind of addiction have a high affinity for junk or other foods that are rich in sugar like pastries, mithai and desserts. Now, here is the link: sugar, releases a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the brain, which increase the affinity towards it and other addictive substances which also act on the same lines of sugar i.e., release dopamine and help one enhance mood [2]. Here is why your brain doesn’t allow you to quit sugar.

It increases hunger: Eating a pastry, doughnut or two gulab jamuns to satisfy your mid-morning hunger or mid-evening craving might make you eat more during your meal time, no matter how early or late you decide to have the meal. And if you think that sprinting for 10 minutes or so can help burn the calories, you are still wrong. Sugar in various forms (glucose or fructose) doesn’t help to satiate your hunger. In fact, even high level of fructose in the blood can decrease the circulation of leptin and insulin while increasing the concentration of hunger hormone ghrelin. This could be a contributing factor for weight gain and obesity [3].  Read this if you feel hungry all the time.

It makes your liver sick: Foods that we eat breaks down into sugar, mainly of two kinds – glucose and fructose. While glucose is needed by every cell of the body, fructose doesn’t have much of a physiological importance. But fruits, honey and many sweeteners have fructose and that is how it gets into our blood stream. This fructose is metabolised only by the liver and converted into glycogen to be used in future when the body needs energy. But if there is too much of stored glycogen and high level of fructose in the blood, the liver turns it into fat, restricting it to perform its normal functions. This could also lead to fatty liver syndrome and complications of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases [4]. Here are some natural remedies for fatty liver that are too good to try.

It could lead to various types of cancer: No, this isn’t a vague assumption, but excess sugar could be a marker for cancer. Remember, insulin plays an important role in the regulation of cell growth. Some studies indicate that elevated insulin levels because of consumption of foods high in sugar could be a reason for prostate, pancreatic and breast cancer [5]. Here are 13 foods that can help to fight cancer.

It could make you resistant to insulin: This is one of the sign and symptoms of metabolic syndrome, which is a cluster of symptoms like elevated blood pressure, LDL cholesterol, etc. Now eating more sugar could mean that more glucose in the blood and so your pancreas would secrete more insulin for the glucose to enter your cells. However, with elevated insulin in the body the cells become immune to insulin, resulting in insulin resistance. This is when there is high blood glucose in the body, indicating to be a marker for diabetes and other metabolic problems [6].

It is bad for your dental health: There is no denying that sugar is bad for your teeth and one of the prime reasons for cavities. Now, if you are thinking what makes sugar so envious of your teeth, remember sugar is empty calories, and it robs nutrients out of the food. So the sugar that remains in the mouth, especially if you fail to rinse your mouth thoroughly it gives an ideal environment for the bad bacteria to thrive and grow [7].

It leads to obesity: Now, this should not be a surprise. Since sugar is capable of suppressing satiety and increasing ghrelin, the hunger hormone it is no surprise that you end up eating more, mostly carbohydrate-rich foods that lead to abdominal obesity (in the absence of physical activity). Abdominal obesity is one of the major contributing factors in metabolic disease, heart diseases and also renal diseases [8].

It makes you age faster: More sugar in your diet will ruin the collagens in your skin and lead to wrinkles and spots that can rob your age and make you look elder than your age. Probably, this is reason enough to make you limit your intake of sugar from your diet [9].

It leads to diabetes: We kept the obvious for the last. Over time when there is too much of insulin in the blood, and your cells become insulin resistant, the pancreas loses its ability to generate more insulin to meet the demands of the body. This is when blood glucose levels go skyrocketing, and the obvious diagnosis is type II diabetes.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  taking your Drs advice, is always the best course of action. What other people tell you ,should never replace sound medical advice

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

The milk on your grocer's shelves is a far cry from the milk that generations ago came from the family cow.

@QueenDanceALot  How was it different in your checking?  I am sure, as you are an authority on it, you will be able to provide us all with that information.

@Nonametoday

I'm sure that you didn't mean this in the very snarky manner in which it reads, so I will answer.

The family cow wasn't part of an industrial money making operation where the cows are routinely fed antibiotics and hormones.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I drink milk, my mom was a person that did not drink it she now has osteoporosis.As far as i can see almond milk ,is not  a good replacement for cows milk.

@goldensrbest  My OB-GYN from my pregnancies years ago told me I did not need milk.  What a fool I was to believe that.  I am now receiving all kinds of supplements and have taken Fosamax, Reclast and now on Prolia.  For those who choose not to consume dairy, it's their bones, it's their lives.  Let them learn as I have.  My endocrinologist wants me to have a serving of one of each cheese, yogurt, milk, ice cream and/or butter daily.  My T score is so high with osteoporosis it is not even listed on the scale.

@Nonametoday

I am 66 years old and have strong bones.  I take no medications and am very physically active.

So, not all of us have deteriorating bones from not consuming dairy.

Honored Contributor

On a related note, the US has a huge cheese surplus - 1.39 billion pounds to be exact, according to the USDA.  That's 4.6 pounds for every American citizen.  The cheese surplus is caused by the excessive milk supply.  And yet, despite the surplus, we haven't seen lower cheese prices, other than a sale here and there.  I think government price supports have something to do with this, but am not sure.  I know that in my state, PA, the price of milk is regulated.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

The milk on your grocer's shelves is a far cry from the milk that generations ago came from the family cow.

@QueenDanceALot  How was it different in your checking?  I am sure, as you are an authority on it, you will be able to provide us all with that information.

@Nonametoday

I'm sure that you didn't mean this in the very snarky manner in which it reads, so I will answer.

The family cow wasn't part of an industrial money making operation where the cows are routinely fed antibiotics and hormones.

You are dead wrong about that. Every tank of milk is strictly tested for the presence of any antibiotics, and if there's the slightest amt. then that tank is DUMPED!  It is not allowed anywhere near store shelves. You shouldn't be spreading such blatant untruths. I know this because my family has been in the dairy industry for years, and unfortunately must endure such lies put out there daily.

Respected Contributor

I used to love milk until I went low carb years ago. I had to switch to heavy cream instead and never looked back. Gave up sugar (including anything that turns into sugar which includes too much protein). I have never been healthier. It is definitely the way to go.
Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Nonametoday

You are dead wrong about that. Every tank of milk is strictly tested for the presence of any antibiotics, and if there's the slightest amt. then that tank is DUMPED!  It is not allowed anywhere near store shelves. You shouldn't be spreading such blatant untruths. I know this because my family has been in the dairy industry for years, and unfortunately must endure such lies put out there daily.

https://www.greenamerica.org/industrial-agriculture/dean-foods-what-starbucks/antibiotics-dairy-indu...

@KKJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Nonametoday

@KKJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Nonametoday

I was talking about large factory farms, industrial operations.

Is this not true?

https://www.greenamerica.org/industrial-agriculture/dean-foods-what-starbucks/antibiotics-dairy-indu...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr

One summer while home from college, I worked  at  U.S. Dept of Agricuture headquarters in the  School Lunch Division.  At that time, surplus commodity foods could be sent to public school lunch programs around the country, which I believe are still subsidized by the federal government.

Hopefully some of that surplus  milk and cheese today is  still going to feed  low-income kids who qualify for free or reduced-price breakfasts and lunches in public schools.

This past summer, I was part of a neighborhood effort to donate and put together bag lunches for kids who had no access to the meals  while schools were not in session.  These kids were fed by a local nonprofit ministry--thousands of them in our county every single day. 

The neighborhood efforts were organized and coordinated by a neighbor who is a former public school principal and  has seen firsthand how poverty affects  children in school who don't get enough to eat at home.

There is a lot of good that can be done with surplus commodities as long as the government is willing to do the right thing.  I assume it is still working at it.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

I don't drink much milk, either, except in a couple of cups of coffee per day. 

But if milk, cheese and other "unhealthy" animal dairy products could kill, most of us would  be dead by now because our mothers probaby didn't know how bad our diets were for their health and ours.

Just for kicks, look up the statistics on ever-growing human life expectancies since the 19th century. Entire classs of foods should not be randomly  blamed for early deaths without solid evidence to the contrary.

But unhealthy foods, like animal products, processed foods & oil,

ARE killing us.  The human body is smart enough to accept

but there are long-term deadly results.  That’s where medications

are introduced. 

‘We are not living longer, we are DYING longer.’

The fact is we are not baby cows.

And even calves stop drinking milk at a young age.

That should be our 1st ‘a-ha’ we’re doing something not right. 

It’s not rocket science.

@sidsmom

However, its not fat and protein as the number one public enemy its now SUGAR--It causes diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, alzheimer's. Sugar is hidden in all our processed food, some call it "the new tobacco".....

@Spurt

Nope. 

Fat is/always will be the cause of diabetes.

Intramyocellular lipids causes insulin resistance. 

Heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, autoimmune conditions, obesity...

all have a strong rooted foundation in Fat/Lipids.

THOUGH.....I’m not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Yes, processed sugars are not good (just eat whole foods)

but they aren’t the uber evil the Public makes them out to be.

Sugar, Inc. has the exact same marketing team as

‘Milk Does a Body Good’ nonsense. All the ‘sugar is evil’

rhetoric stems from the current Low Carb Book-at-the-moment.

Amazing how the myth perpetuates.