Honored Contributor

Re: America Drowning in Milk Nobody Wants

@goldensrbest wrote:

I drink milk, my mom was a person that did not drink it she now has osteoporosis.As far as i can see almond milk ,is not  a good replacement for cows milk.

My bones are strong and I don't drink milk.

There are other sources. Plus, absorption of calcium requires other vitamins and minerals.

Trusted Contributor

Team milk, and applaud the hard work of dairy farmers, and their wives.

Honored Contributor

I grew up with milk being served to the kids for three meals a day. We also were given a small container of milk in school for a snack. 

Now I only use milk in my coffee. I always did like the taste of milk. I'm still alive and kicking as are the rest of my siblings.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I will add that I've seen more vegetarians/vegans with serious health probs than meat eaters.

@KKJ

That has nothing to do with dairy being healthy or unhealthy. I’m not a vegetarian but dairy is still unhealthy in my book. Science supports that. Marketing is why people think it is healthy. 

Honored Contributor

I tasted almond milk once ,and couldn't spit it out fast enough..I think it should be called almond drink. It tastes nothing like milk

Respected Contributor

@willdob3

The National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health are not into "marketing" anything.  Science is their specialty.

I will again post this  link to "science" if  you missed it earlier in this discussion and you're interested in reading more about the dietary role of milk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1435952/

Respected Contributor

I think an important issue that should be addressed is not only what we're eating--and I'm guilty as anyone for eating out too much, etc.--but that we are way too sedentary today.  We're eating way too much and not active. Sitting on our butts texting, Facebook and not moving. I admit I eat out way too much & notice how huge the servings are?  I was shocked when seeing how little food we actually need.  I should be cooking healthier at home.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I don't think medical science thinks it is wise to skip the protein, calcium and other nutrients in milk if we plan to bear and raise healthy kids.

Lots of info on that topic here...........

I agree.  Moderation is the key to a healthy life.  

Honored Contributor

Milk has addictive properties according to my cardiologist. I had allergy testing done recently and I had a Plus 4 for milk. I am allergic to the protein in milk not lactose intolerence.

Have I been able to completely eliminate dairy from my diet? No. I find it more difficult to give up than I did cigarettes back in 1980 which I was successful in doing. I am working on it, though. As my cardiologist thinks it is worse than meat for a heart patient. Just his opinion, though, as I haven't read any real science regarding that statement....

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@willdob3

The National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health are not into "marketing" anything.  Science is their specialty.

I will again post this  link to "science" if  you missed it earlier in this discussion and you're interested in reading more about the dietary role of milk.

@novamc1

Most of us are not pregnant - and not consuming milk was not the problem. Not consuming healthy foods containing important nutrients was.